Airplane Carrying 224 Civilians Crashes in Egypt’s Sinai

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Re: Airplane Carrying 224 Civilians Crashes in Egypt’s Sinai

Post by Ruby Slippers »

You are quite wrong in your take on the posts re: the brace position, ST! All and any aircraft crash where lives are lost are a matter for sadness. However, I was concerned that your original post about the brace position could or would frighten some who are already scared of flying in the first place. Snopes has it as a total myth, if you care to look.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Ruby Slippers wrote:You are quite wrong in your take on the posts re: the brace position, ST! All and any aircraft crash where lives are lost are a matter for sadness. However, I was concerned that your original post about the brace position could or would frighten some who are already scared of flying in the first place. Snopes has it as a total myth, if you care to look.
Don't really care to look RS.But thank you for your opinion.

I also understand that balloon flights in Luxor carry the same instruction.
Or,if I'm wrong..then why don't they?

Some people have a fear of flying..yet think nothing of stepping into a bloody balloon and soaring over Luxor's West Bank.

Why?Don't they even appreciate that this is "aviation"and should carry the same warnings as an aircraft does?
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

ST - Have a look at this YT clip. The one thing is a controlled crash can be survivable, but a explosive decompression where the hull disintegrates at altitude isn't. The Egyptian Authorities are now saying the aircraft 'exploded' in the air

http://news.sky.com/story/1579601/egypt ... in-the-air

I have been in an incident when a window blew out at altitude and everyone doned masks and the pilots nosedive to a safe altitude where the air is breathable. The only damage done was a few popped eardrums.

However I bow to your superior knowledge on medical issues. My knowledge was also about saving lives but in a different way.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Funny you should mention balloon trips, ST. For most of my life, I had an ambition to glide over the Valley of the Kings in a hot air balloon. I missed out on one in 2003, because we didn't like our hotel in Luxor so decided to return to Aswan. Then came the accident a couple of years ago and I made the mistake of watching the video of it on YouTube! Result? Death of a dream! Possibly, if I had never seen the video, I would have risked it, but I now know that I never will. :(
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Ruby Slippers wrote:Funny you should mention balloon trips, ST. For most of my life, I had an ambition to glide over the Valley of the Kings in a hot air balloon. I missed out on one in 2003, because we didn't like our hotel in Luxor so decided to return to Aswan. Then came the accident a couple of years ago and I made the mistake of watching the video of it on YouTube! Result? Death of a dream! Possibly, if I had never seen the video, I would have risked it, but I now know that I never will. :(
MD on here once sent out appeal for "bona fide"tourists to put themselves forward for a balloon trip.
I actually answered that post!She wanted PM's..so I sent her one,explaining that I would enjoy a balloon trip with my sister and give my honest opinions on it!
The PM went unanswered and ignored!

She maybe wanted honest replies...but she certainly didn't want mine!!

In my view it was all a "con!"
Picking and choosing those who will give an honest opinion as opposed to those who will say "what a wonderful experience!"

She had a "list"and quite frankly,I didn't figure on it!

Bit of a shame really,that only people who will "say the right thing"are considered important in Luxor.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

'Bejesus ST some twisted sh** can pore forth from your mouth sometimes.
Perhaps, just perhaps you should try engaging brain before mouth... :cool:
I weep...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Back in time post dinosaur but just after the dawn of aviation I used to fly into and out of remote First Nations aka Indian villages up and down our western coast. No such thing in those days as radio connection to Airport towers or charting your route and I must say those bloody bush pilots were a breed unto themselves. Most pretty rough rude and crude but they could land anything anywhere (float plane landing aren't necessarily smooth) and would fly in almost any weather - NOT that it isn't at all fun to be bounced around thermals and UP drafts and DOWN drafts, skim tree tops and share planes with crated teams of huskies (working dogs are NOT nice dogs!) and trappers carrying full loads of their animal skins.

OR land on short commercial landing strips cut out of trees that need to be buzzed to hopefully create thermal inversions and lift the fog and you just pray the dogs have been able to chase away all the deer and geese that aimlessly wander through and about the airstrip clearing prior to the plane landing.

OR to land and slide on the ice like a hockey puck heading towards a goal stopping within INCHES of huge towering cedar trees!!!

Yeah - my days of flying do carry some tall tales along with the various crazy bush pilots I met ........ one screamed at me once to "hang on" as he was heading for the small shoreline trees in prep for a crash landing hoping the smaller trees would buffet his plane from being totally beat up when projectile met solid substance. Don't recall him ever saying anything at all that sounded like "Brace Brace" and I don't think he was worried if I grabbed the back of my neck or not!!!

On thinking back :tk - maybe I should report it to Transport Canada that the pilot failed to tell me to Brace & grab my neck
Last edited by LovelyLadyLux on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who2 wrote: I weep...
Doubt that sentiment!
Nighty nite.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Who2 wrote:I weep...
We all do, with laughter.
Carpe diem! :le:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have just received an URGENT update from the UK FCO, "on the 31st October a flight bound for St Petersburg from Sharm crashed into the desert over Egypt, Egyptian and Russian authorities are conducting enquiries".
Better late than never I suppose.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

And tonight's MS762 is 4 hours late into Luxor, but this will be due to fog in the UK. Nothing to get hysterical about ;)
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

crewmeal wrote: Nothing to get hysterical about ;)
We'll think of something, don't worry. ;))