Russia suspends flights to Egypt

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Russia suspends flights to Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Vladimir Putin’s decision to suspend flights to Egypt marks a significant U-turn by the Russian premier.

The UK prime minister, David Cameron, and Putin held a conference call on Thursday, during which Putin expressed frustration with the UK’s decision to suspend flights to Sharm el-Sheikh.

Putin was said by the PM’s spokesman to have underlined that he thought countries should wait for the investigation into the cause of the Sinai crash to be completed.

But after meeting with security officials on Friday Putin dramatically reversed his position and decided to suspend all Russian flights to Egypt, where there are currently 45,000 Russians.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2 ... ve-updates

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Russia suspends flights to Egypt

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:o
Well that's going to go down well with his own people who are going to be stranded!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

101 reasons to wipe out the 'beardy-weirdeys, bring in Spetsnaz... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Unless Cameron, Putin et al have lost their minds you have to believe that their respective intelligence agencies have detected some major, immediate and viable threat.

I don't think Russia would implement a total suspension simply because the security arrangements in Sharm or elsewhere are sub-standard.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Well,...... the latest gossip that is coming out of Portcullis House, ( known effectionatly as the House of Leaks) is that the **** really hit the fan after that hand shake as they both entered 10 Downing Street yesterday. It is rumoured that Cameron told Sisi in non diplomatic terms, that what caused the Russian air crash, was originally planned from within Sharm airport. Sisi hit the roof, Cameron issued an immediate statement to the B.B.C., but within half an hour, the B.B.C. was hit with another Cameron statement, that in the words of its news presenter 'seemed to contradict the previous statement half an hour earlier.

During that half hour Sisi was shown certain information from G.C.H.Q., so I hear, that made him calm down quite quickly. Now, you have to remember something here, it was this very organisation that gathered the information, that was to be the final nail in the coffin of Mubarak and Omar Suliman's presidency.

This morning every thing in garden was coming up roses, that is until some one had leaked information to the Russians, the 'Betty Davis Eyes' gang down at Millbank have gone nuts. Was it Cameron ? Was it Sisi ? Or was it............... :wi

P.S. - Don't bother looking in Portcullis House, they are flooded out, burst water pipe, I'm told. :wi :wi :wi .
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Cameron could have told the Egyptians what he knew earlier.....but then it would have risked Sisi not coming at all and, well, there was mutual business to chat about.

Mucky business politics.

Letting the Russians in on it has certainly upset the applecart . A lot of angry Egyptians here in Hurghada.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Has the water feature in the Atrium stung a leak again? Or it may be the fig tree's in the Atrium weeping at what they see.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:Has the water feature in the Atrium stung a leak again? Or it may be the fig tree's in the Atrium weeping at what they see.

Oh my God, you know the place well MT.

As you obviously know, it has its own direct tunnel to the Commons, unlike the old days when one had to use the one from the Underground Station. The building itself cost a fortune, more per sq ft than anywhere in Britain.

You mention the fig trees, well, at a recent Public Accounts Committee meeting, that was actually held in that very building, they discovered that they cost almost £500,000, I jest not. It was then revealed to hoots of laughter, that they only rented the damn things. God bless H.M. Government.

As for the water feature, again you are correct, but it don't leak as often as the people in that building.

P.S. Don't tell anyone about this, I'll probably get shot. :wi .
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

So Egypt is now checking on the Sharm staff, the CCTV cameras etc. Well, better late than never.

P.s. Don't forget to include those who may have "left" in the last week. You do have comprehensive records of everyone allowed airside....I assume?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

When Portcullis House was being built I was the Electrical Construction Manager for Skanska Rashliegh Weatherfoil. I was based there for three years on the Contract. So I know the building inside out. But sworn to secrecy.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

That's never stopped you before.
Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

There are known knowns;

And there are known unknowns;

There are even unknown unknowns.

Then we have what MT knows... :urm:
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

What amazes me is why are the Egyptian Authorities blocking some flights from the UK, especially when they've taken off from various airports only to divert elsewhere. All this will do is inflame the situation and Brits will not bother with Egypt 'full stop'

I was watching the Egyptian Minister giving his account of what happened, but it developed into a farce before it got going. It seemed some journo was upset that the proceedings were in English and not Arabic.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote:What amazes me is why are the Egyptian Authorities blocking some flights from the UK, especially when they've taken off from various airports only to divert elsewhere. All this will do is inflame the situation and Brits will not bother with Egypt 'full stop'

I was watching the Egyptian Minister giving his account of what happened, but it developed into a farce before it got going. It seemed some journo was upset that the proceedings were in English and not Arabic.
I believe these were all additional flights, not part of the regular schedule, on their way to evacuate tourists. The airport at Sharm simply didn't have the capacity to take them. So they say.

That press conference interrupted a really interesting prog I was watching on BBCW about Socrates. As you say, what a farce...announcing, well, nothing we hadn't read days before.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

A4 is correct the fig tres did cost 500,000, but that included the maintenance and looking after for a few years. He is also correct MP's do not have to come out of Wrstminster to get to Portcullis house they can use the observed tunnel with card operated styles at the ends. Did you know when the project was finished it worked out at approx 2.5 million per office. The Penthouse office was first used by the late MP Tony Banks. Security? Well it's like a fortress. So for all you spies out there don't even think about it.
During construction by Langs Construction, someone was floor breaking and broke through to the District/Circle line below. During the construction because of the underground being directly below, a pontoon style of foundation was placed to build it on and stop extra weight effecting the transport system. From ground floor there are 3 levels going downward, consisting of the kitchens, and the building management systems. The TV Company has its own room linked to all the interview rooms and can monitor all meetings and board meetings. The lights are all energy efficient, and if no movement is detected in the offices they automatically turn off. The light of the room also is linked to the window blinds, so if the light levels are too bright during the day, the blinds react by closing, when light levels go down this process reverses. A very state of art building, and when built a masterpiece of engineering and modern materials designed to last a lifetime. Like most things though with miles of piping, and hundreds of miles of cables, things do go wrong, however these things were installed to be easily repaired. The water feature in the Atrium has always been a bone of contention, just after it was installed we went in the next morning and the water had disappeared, it was thought many of the underground workers had been treated to a shower during the night. This feature was installed to create a nice atmosphere under the glass of the Atrium. To be honest I was proud to be a part of the construction of the building.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

its great to see the official secrets act being observed so well :lol:
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Robbo70 wrote:its great to see the official secrets act being observed so well :lol:
Yes, and we are all bound by it, whether we have signed it or not! :urm:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Thirty Russian planes reportedly landed at Sharm in one day, so Crewmeal you may have a point, we will have to wait and see, but it seems Russia are walking away from this scot free. We have to understand there is a lot at stake here, especially for local people, they need to wait like the rest of us before ruining the relationship between the UK and Egypt.
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

Sky News and BBC are reporting that the Russian Federal Security Service says it now believes the plane which crashed in Sinai on 31st October was brought down by a bomb after traces of explosives were found in the debris. Russia has offered a £33 million reward to catch the people behind the bombing.
Also Egyptian authorities have detained two members of staff at Sharm airport in connection with the bombing.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:There are known knowns;

And there are known unknowns;

There are even unknown unknowns.

Then we have what MT knows... :urm:
... are there think knowns :tk Only ask as a few on here tend to think they know. ;)
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.