Carriage horse collapses

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Carriage horse collapses

Post by BENNU »

Central Park carriage horse collapses on the job

http://nyp.st/2m3vsjS

Disturbing images show a seemingly-exhausted carriage horse lying limp on its side after suddenly collapsing in Central Park — and now an animal rights group is demanding an investigation.

Witnesses saw the horse breathing heavily before it collapsed on the ground near Tavern on the Green around 10 a.m. last Tuesday, said a rep for the anti-carriage group NYCLASS.

The group released several photos taken by bystanders at the scene that show the horse both kneeling on the concrete and resting on its side.

“Horses don’t just collapse,” a NYCLASS spokesperson said. “Something happened — and the city should get to the bottom of it and make sure it never happens again.

"They should conduct an immediate investigation into the health and whereabouts of this horse, including allowing an independent vet to examine the animal.”

Carriage driver Chris Emanus put the horse, named Max, back to work on Monday, insisting he’d been cleared by a vet.

“I’ve been doing this for 20 years, and it doesn’t happen that often, but it does happen,” he told The Post.

Emanus, 45, claimed the equine had simply tripped because he was wearing horseshoes for the time in eight months after returning to the city from a farm.

“For eight months he was walking around with no shoes,” he said. “The day it happened, he tripped on a little crack in the pavement. That happens sometimes, they trip on a crack. He tripped and went down, but not hard.”

Emanus said he unhooked Max, who then got up on his own “without a scratch on him.”
Mounted NYPD cops evaluated the horse at the scene, then Emanus took him back to the stable where a vet was called to examine him, he said.

“On Friday, they said he was good to go once the blood work came back and said that everything was fine,” Emanus said. “Today is his first day back. We gave him the weekend off.”

A NYCLASS spokesperson insisted that when horses trip, they don’t collapse on their sides but kneel on the ground and then stand back up.
Christina Hansen, a spokesperson for the carriage industry, accused the group of making “something out of nothing.”

“[The horse] tripped and fell, and he was examined by three mounted officers at the park and was cleared to return to the stable pending a vet exam,” she said. “He was found to be completely uninjured and absolutely fine.”

Julien Martinez, a spokesperson for the Department of Health, said the NYPD informed them on Feb. 21 that a horse had “tripped and fallen in Central Park.”

“The horse returned immediately to its stable and was examined by a private veterinarian who determined Max to be healthy,” the statement read.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Carriage horse collapses

Post by Major Thom »

What's the comparison of horses that collapse in Central Park to the number of horses and donkeys that collapse everyday in Luxor. Here they don't need a vet to say the horse is ok, a couple of lashes with the whip puts the horse right.
Over worked, under fed, maltreated, and disrespected.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I saw a donkey arrive at Ace once carried in on a donkey cart, sitting up and taking notice completely unfazed by this form of travel.

The owner so cared for his donkey that he had brought it in for a check up after receiving treatment and he didn't know if it was well enough to walk in. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Major Thom wrote:What's the comparison of horses that collapse in Central Park to the number of horses and donkeys that collapse everyday in Luxor. Here they don't need a vet to say the horse is ok, a couple of lashes with the whip puts the horse right.
Too many yes, but not all. You see what you choose to see.
I was looking at the calleches behind the Sheraton once and admired a turnout that was absolutely immaculate, so I praised the driver. To my surprise in perfect English he said "Economics, Madame. Look at that lazy man asleep on the front seat of his dirty outfit over there - who would choose to ride with him if they could ride with me?"

Another driver who used to win the best outfit in Luxor every year always charged more, because he said it cost more to keep everything in such good order.

Teddy, a caleche horse that was working to my knowledge for more than 10 years, had an owner who never carried a whip. As Teddy got older the journey took longer, but he was never chivvied. I know, in 1997 when there were no tourists, Teddy had the same food, his owner got thinner. When I mentioned this he said,"If I don't look after Teddy how will my family eat at all?"

When the drivers got together and tried to insist that I should take the first in line, I often refused and would walk off carrying my heavy shopping - to be stopped in a few steps with the one of my choice.

Every coin has another side, just as there are two sides to every argument.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:What's the comparison of horses that collapse in Central Park to the number of horses and donkeys that collapse everyday in Luxor. Here they don't need a vet to say the horse is ok, a couple of lashes with the whip puts the horse right.
Luxor abounds with mistreated dumb animals.

Some are euthanised when they've served their purpose.

Others are more fortunate, and can afford to emigrate.......
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Another 1980's Rugby Player.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think you'll find it was an ice skater MT. :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

He may be thinking of David Sole. Accuracy was never his strong suit.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Very true Newcastle. Relevance is not a strong point either. ;)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Thinking more of his brother.

It will always be a problem here when people can see nothing wrong. If there's nothing wrong there is nothing to put right, in which case there will never be improvements. But that's what this forum was created for, the good of Luxor! The minute someone slips the duvet off, the cold air come rushing in. This is why I refer to Rose Tinted Glasses worn by those who use the place for a holiday or cheapness.

If the truth be known many would love to leave, but financial reasons stop them, either the cost of returning to European Countries or the fact they would need to return to work to survive in another Country. Let's see how it pans out when you have to leave every year, pay your airfares, pay your hotel bill etc. On saying that, hotel bills may not apply because many rough it in airport seats waiting for their flight back. What will happen if they make you leave for 7 days at a time before returning, and it could well happen.

It amazes me when people state some have got a enough finances to emigrate, or move to another Country, when you live here you need this financial security to do so,if not clothes line living is no security at all. I have even heard of people lending money because they have been made to leave and come back. What!! That's not living.

I find it hard to understand how people are prepared to live like they do, and not have the finances to come and go, move if they want to, or even just live 1% above the breadline, I would find it so degrading.

Sorry I just do not understand it, and never will do no matter what any of you say. I mean to say that you cannot honestly say that living here is better than living in a EU Country or a Country that invests in its people.

Maybe someone will try and make me understand, without going into the weather, or cheapness thing, or even the history. I appreciate many are conning the EU welfare system for medical treatment because of lack of investment here. We all know 60-70% of people die here because of poor medical facilities or lack of cash to buy the drugs they think will help. When we came here we knew most of this, what we did not know was the dire situation of medical care. The population must have doubled in Luxor since we came, and yet the ability to support and the infrastructure to educate has diminished.

Do you honestly think the place will improve if you do tell me why you think this please? I cannot see how it can. Everyone is being blinded. Just warptch Nilesat International, there are more half truths on there than enough, but just enough truths to keep people satisfied. The new museum of Egyptian culture is being built in Cairo, why? When the most historic and ancient sites are in Upper Egypt. For what Egypt stands for, Cairo is holding it back, Upper Egypt should be the bread basket of Egypt, not the forgotten Dutch Uncle
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Oh look!.....MT's literate alter ego :snig:

Same old....same old.....but better grammar and spelling.

I don't know who these poor buggers are that you say are trapped here. Everyone I know is perfectly able to come and go, and either has medical insurance or is resigned to return to their home country if deteriorating health requires.

Anyone who burnt their boats, came to live here, with limited resources, thinking the place was other than "third world"...but would soon improve...was stupid.

I daresay you've lost a shed load of money over the years. The only thing that distinguishes you from the stupid people is your ability to shoulder the loss.