Turkish Election

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Turkish Election

Post by Horus »

So it looks like Turkeys President Erdogan has narrowly won a referendum to give himself more power and as Executive President he will now replace the Parliamentary system of government in that country. Looking at how the country voted it would appear that the major cities did not vote for him and his main support was in the Anatolia region. The narrowness of the vote was similar to the Brexit vote and already there are calls for a re-run of the referendum and accusations of vote rigging from the opposition. So how do people think that this will pan out as Turkey has been slowly changed politically for a few years now, will it just be accepted or will it cause internal strife and strong opposition from those that see the country heading away from Ataturks vision for a modern Turkey. :urm:

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Turkish Election

Post by Yildez »

Those of us who've lived here for some years, and understand how things work, know that it's not wise to speculate/discuss such topics on a public forum. Enough said. However, I'm not thinking of activating Plan B in the near future!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Yildez wrote:Those of us who've lived here for some years, and understand how things work, know that it's not wise to speculate/discuss such topics on a public forum. Enough said. However, I'm not thinking of activating Plan B in the near future!
Plan B presumably doesn't allude to a move to Egypt.

Apart from the weather, you'd barely notice any difference......particularly in the political scenario. :urm:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:So it looks like Turkeys President Erdogan has narrowly won a referendum to give himself more power and as Executive President he will now replace the Parliamentary system of government in that country. Looking at how the country voted it would appear that the major cities did not vote for him and his main support was in the Anatolia region. The narrowness of the vote was similar to the Brexit vote and already there are calls for a re-run of the referendum and accusations of vote rigging from the opposition. So how do people think that this will pan out as Turkey has been slowly changed politically for a few years now, will it just be accepted or will it cause internal strife and strong opposition from those that see the country heading away from Ataturks vision for a modern Turkey. :urm:
How do I view it? The quip "turkeys voting for Christmas" springs to mind.

I don't see it as a precursor of violent suppression of any opposition to Erdogan. That's already occurred. But I do anticipate the departure of the remaining left-leaning intellectuals which, as with Egypt, can only make for a poorer country.

Democracy is a much-abused term nowadays (think : Kim Jong Un's Democratic People's Republic of Korea) and I find some irony in the use of a democratic referendum to create, in effect, an autocracy. Still....that's what "the people" wanted...and have got. Presumably the 51% who voted "Yes" will be throwing their hats in the air while the rest should, as Brexit remoaners were told, put up and shut up :ct

At least it will be the final nail in the coffin of any Turkish plans to join EU and if Erdogan wants to move the country towards central Asia, good luck to him. He'll be in good company.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I can understand some peoples reluctance to comment and as Newcastle points out there seems to be little political difference between the two countries at the present time. I suppose that the reality is that many people living in these Middle East/near Asian countries seem to prefer the non secular to the secular forms of government as shown by popular vote and this I feel will always alienate them from the West. It will certainly diminish any chance that existed (if it ever did) of Turkey joining the EU.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Makes me wonder are politically motivated people 'mad before they become elected or become mad when elected ?
Because like it or not, there are a lot of totally mad people in charge of many countries in this World.
Now, that's what people should worry about. "Absolute Power = absolute 'la la land.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

There is some quote some where about power and once you have it its not easy to give it up. There are plenty examples these days.

However Blair and Cameron gave it up and were not forced out like Maggie.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bombay wrote:There is some quote some where about power and once you have it its not easy to give it up. There are plenty examples these days.

Africa's full of examples!

However Blair and Cameron gave it up and were not forced out like Maggie.

I think Blair was more or less "forced out"...albeit in a behind-the-scenes coup led by associates of Gordon Brown.
He opted to go with dignity rather than face a Thatcher-like debacle.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Horus wrote:So it looks like Turkeys President Erdogan has narrowly won a referendum to give himself more power and as Executive President he will now replace the Parliamentary system of government in that country. Looking at how the country voted it would appear that the major cities did not vote for him and his main support was in the Anatolia region. The narrowness of the vote was similar to the Brexit vote and already there are calls for a re-run of the referendum and accusations of vote rigging from the opposition. So how do people think that this will pan out as Turkey has been slowly changed politically for a few years now, will it just be accepted or will it cause internal strife and strong opposition from those that see the country heading away from Ataturks vision for a modern Turkey. :urm:
How do I view it? The quip "turkeys voting for Christmas" springs to mind.

I don't see it as a precursor of violent suppression of any opposition to Erdogan. That's already occurred. But I do anticipate the departure of the remaining left-leaning intellectuals which, as with Egypt, can only make for a poorer country.

Democracy is a much-abused term nowadays (think : Kim Jong Un's Democratic People's Republic of Korea) and I find some irony in the use of a democratic referendum to create, in effect, an autocracy. Still....that's what "the people" wanted...and have got. Presumably the 51% who voted "Yes" will be throwing their hats in the air while the rest should, as Brexit remoaners were told, put up and shut up :ct

As a Brexiteer i feel that the vote makes them more compatible with the EU and its ideaology not less!

As a Brexiteer i feel the result makes them much more aligned with the EU and its ideaology!

At least it will be the final nail in the coffin of any Turkish plans to join EU and if Erdogan wants to move the country towards central Asia, good luck to him. He'll be in good company.