Authorities execute man convicted of raping 5-year-old girl

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Authorities execute man convicted of raping 5-year-old girl

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptian prison authorities executed Wednesday a 22-year-old man convicted of raping and murdering a five-year-old girl in Upper Egypt's Minya governorate in March 2014.

Investigations in the case revealed that the convict kidnapped the girl, before taking her to an abandoned building in Maghaha village and raping her. He choked her with a cloth and repeatedly hit her in the head.

The convict's death verdict was upheld by the Court of Cassation in February 2016.

The Minya governorate prisons department also executed Wednesday five people convicted of murder in Qena and Gharbeya governorates under tight security measures.

On Tuesday, an Egyptian criminal court referred to the Grand Mufti a death sentence issued against a man convicted of raping a 20-month-old child in the Nile Delta governorate of Daqahliya last month in a case known publicly known as "the diaper girl's case."

The court is expected to confirm the sentence on 2 June after the Grand Mufti gives his opinion, which is not legally binding, on the validity of the death sentence according to Islamic law.

The most famous case of the rape and murder of a child happened in the coastal governorate of Port-Said in 2013, when two minors kidnapped, raped and killed 5-year-old girl Zeina Arafa, provoking rage and public outcry across the country.

The convicts in this case were sentenced by a criminal court to 20 years in prison. The court apologised to the public for not imposing capital punishment, as Egyptian law forbids issuing the death penalty to people younger than 18 years old.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/268045.aspx

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: Authorities execute man convicted of raping 5-year-old g

Post by John Landon »

I have no objection to eradicating this kind of scum off the face of this planet, providing there is no doubt that the person is responsible.
What kind of sick **** gets pleasure out of raping and then murdering a 5 year old child ?

Not sure what the execution method is, but I could probably come up with a much better one for this kind of scum, and make it public to act as a deterrent to any other future nonces out there...
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:I have no objection to eradicating this kind of scum off the face of this planet, providing there is no doubt that the person is responsible.
What kind of sick **** gets pleasure out of raping and then murdering a 5 year old child ?

Not sure what the execution method is, but I could probably come up with a much better one for this kind of scum, and make it public to act as a deterrent to any other future nonces out there...
Hanging is the usual form of death penalty in Egypt.

Whilst, emotively, the rape and murder of a child seems worse, it is, objectively, no different to the rape and murder of an adult or elderly person and the same punishments should apply.

It's well-established that the death penalty is not a deterrent and I hope we've moved beyond carrying it out in public. Let's leave that to barbarous societies like Saudi Arabia.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

No Surprise that you disagree with my post, but trust me, The kind of public death penalty I have planned for them would be a deterrent..... 8)
Whatever Saudi gets up to and for whatever reason is irrelevant.... :ct
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

John Landon wrote:No Surprise that you disagree with my post, but trust me, The kind of public death penalty I have planned for them would be a deterrent..... 8)
Well JL, if you can conceive of a method of execution that would fly in the face of all data on the subject of taking away the desire to commit these acts then you are guilty of (i would offer) becoming a monster in order to defeat a monster.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:No Surprise that you disagree with my post, but trust me, The kind of public death penalty I have planned for them would be a deterrent..... 8)
Nonsense.

Perpetrators of heinous crimes rarely consider the punishment consequences of their actions.

Capital punishment in the not-so-distant past in England included public castration and disembowelment, whilst alive. Poisoners were boiled alive...a slow process involving repeated immersions in scalding water until the victim's skin peeled loose. It could take quite some time before toxic shock caused death.

Neither punishments seemed to have had much deterrent effect even though they were applied to crimes which were not "heat of the moment".

If I disagree with your post it's because it typifies the 'knee-jerk' reaction of a baying-mob mentality.

Saudi Arabia is very relevant. Not only does it provide evidence of the lack of deterrence but the worldwide condemnation their public beheadings and limb choppings receive is an indication that your view of appropriate punishment is very much a minority one.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

"Id lock them up in a room with the victim's relatives"

"Hanging is too good for them"

The above comments are muttered on a regular bases and its always struck me that people that have this view think they deserve a pat on the back.

Its perhaps one of the earliest forms of virtue signalling which we are now swamped with on a daily bases.

All it actually reveals is that people with this attitude are that little bit closer to the moral standards of the people that carry out such horrid crimes in the first place.

And thats nothing to pat yourself on the back about.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

This debate reminds me of my departed uncle Keith Jackson.

I nicknamed him "hang em Jackson"

Because no matter the crime, murder, rape, theft, parking/speeding fine his comment was always "hang em"!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:"Id lock them up in a room with the victim's relatives"

"Hanging is too good for them"

The above comments are muttered on a regular bases and its always struck me that people that have this view think they deserve a pat on the back.

Its perhaps one of the earliest forms of virtue signalling which we are now swamped with on a daily bases.

All it actually reveals is that people with this attitude are that little bit closer to the moral standards of the people that carry out such horrid crimes in the first place.

And thats nothing to pat yourself on the back about.
:a4: :a4: :a4:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Clickety bloody click again !

Its not often I get to see such levels of stupidity, but I think you lot have outdone yourselves this time.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

John Landon wrote:Clickety bloody click again !

Its not often I get to see such levels of stupidity, but I think you lot have outdone yourselves this time.
Yet again JL you have no factual arguments to offer up in reply.

With the greatest of respect JL, with each debate your rhetoric appears to becoming more infantile.

"stupid, stupid,stupid, waaaaaaaaaaaaa"

If you rarely see such levels of stupidity then i would respectfully suggest that procurement of a mirror is long overdue.

If your only argument is that we are stupid then you dont have an argument.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If proven guilty without any reasonable doubt, rapists, murderers, drug traffickers, pedophiles should all receive a single bullet to the back of their heads. They are parasites that are of no use and continually feed on the back of our otherwise law abiding society. I support capital punishment, always have done, but unfortunately it has never successfully served as a warning to others, crimes of this nature just carry on. So pointless.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The "rightness" or otherwise of capital punishment is one of those philosophical arguments where there's no hard and fast answer.

I'm against it because I believe , ultimately, that it's an expression of "revenge". The arguments of deterrence, cost-saving (compared to permanent incarceration), etc. simply don't add up.

The "eye for an eye" approach is supported by the major religions. Even the Christian philosophy of "forgiving your enemies", "turning the other cheek" etc. is contradicted in Matthew 18:6

"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

Jesus himself suffered capital punishment...for being in clear breach of the laws at the time.

I think it was Gandhi who said (allegedly) : "an eye for an eye for an eye for an eye.....eventually makes everyone blind"

Whether he said it or not...it encapsulates my attitude.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I dont appose the death penalty out of hand but there needs to be something useful to be gained.

Im not sure i agree the numbers dont add up, according to the Manchester Evening News its costs £40,000 a year to keep a prisoner in Strangeways.

Im not sure the cost of an execution but if someone is serving life and is below 50 i would be surprised if the numbers didnt add up.

Then this money could be spent on programs to rehabilitate those that are not beyond help.

I very much agree with Newcastle that execution in the absence of any practical gain is going to take humanity down a path that will eventually do no one any good.

The main blocker for me is the fact that even now, year on year we still see miscarriages of justice and at least in the case of life it can be commuted.

You cant undo an execution.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

On the cost aspect, most of the data relates to America where inmates usually spend a decade or more on death row while numerous court appeals etc run their course. The legal costs incurred before execution finally occurs can run into millions of dollars.

Unless, that is, you're going to truncate the system and risk a miscarriage of justice.

Quite rightly, death sentence cases have their evidence put under minute scrutiny.

In any case, the argument that we should kill someone because it's cheaper than keeping them alive just doesn't seem right to me.

It's not easy to be objective, and consistently so, in determining whether a murder should incur the death penalty. There are obviously degrees if heinousness and it's arguable that, with some of the most monstrous cases, the culprit cannot be said to be entirely sane.

As I said earlier, it's not a simple issue (or shouldn't be) and I have no problem with those who support the death penalty, only those who would apply it indiscriminately, with as much pain and spectacle as they can muster, and then marshal spurious arguments to defend their case.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

It wont ever get off the starting blocks for me because of the unreliability of convictions.

Perhaps we should hang those who pervert the justice system :mrgreen:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Well JL I was about to come down on your side of the fence so its a shame you had to start ranting about cliques (now where have I heard that before?) Inasmuch as I would also support the death penalty for the most heinous crimes and I would also have asked how those that oppose it would feel if it were their daughter, sister, mother etc being brutalised and raped before being murdered? it is OK being moralistic about it when it has not affected you or your family. I would admit to wanting to strangle them with my bare hands, but I hand over that aspect of revenge, because that is what it is, revenge, to the upholders of the law, but alas in many cases they seem to be hide bound by the rehabilitaion lobby, I don't want to see rehabilitation, I want to see them punished for the crime they committed. It may not be a deterent, but who is saying it will be? most people just want retribution for the act they committed on a member of their family, they are not interested in rehabilitaion.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:

Well JL I was about to come down on your side of the fence so its a shame you had to start ranting about cliques (now where have I heard that before?) Inasmuch as I would also support the death penalty for the most heinous crimes and I would also have asked how those that oppose it would feel if it were their daughter, sister, mother etc being brutalised and raped before being murdered? it is OK being moralistic about it when it has not affected you or your family. I would admit to wanting to strangle them with my bare hands, but I hand over that aspect of revenge, because that is what it is, revenge, to the upholders of the law, but alas in many cases they seem to be hide bound by the rehabilitaion lobby, I don't want to see rehabilitation, I want to see them punished for the crime they committed. It may not be a deterent, but who is saying it will be? most people just want retribution for the act they committed on a member of their family, they are not interested in rehabilitaion.
I'd probably be inclined to exact instant lethal retribution on anyone who murdered one of my nearest and dearest...that's a normal human reaction under extreme provocation.

But it doesn't excuse the state doing the same in the cold light of day.

I remember reading of an American put to death following an appalling murder.....despite pleas from the family of the victim who were opposed to the death penalty on principle. The anguish of their loss was only heightened by the state's action.

Who's saying the death penalty is a deterrent? Quite a few (not only JL)...despite the evidence to the contrary.

Retribution...punishment....all perfectly ok but does it have to be death? Haven't we moved on? Arguably, life imprisonment (and I mean life...and with no more than basic facilities) is a more severe punishment than a quick and painless execution...if retribution/punishment is what you're after.

A fair number of "lifers" have topped themselves rather than face a lifetime of incarceration without the prospect of release.

The record of countries , such as USA, which have retained the death penalty is a dubious one. Apart from the many cases of miscarriage of justice, bias in the judicial system etc....they even execute the mentally subnormal. It's not a concept I would want to see reintroduced in UK even though I have much more faith in the workings of our judicial system.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Zooropa wrote:It wont ever get off the starting blocks for me because of the unreliability of convictions.
Especially as we are talking about Egyptian convictions.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

"let him have it"