Trump and climate change

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Trump and climate change

Post by newcastle »

In an impassioned delivery, President Trump has announced America's withdrawal from the Paris Accord.

To summarise :

" I was elected to look after the interests of Americans and to make America great again.

As for the rest of the world......... :a19: "

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Trump and climate change

Post by Horus »

And if those Chinese and Muslims try to send their greenhouses over here :vs I will build a great wall :tk
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:In an impassioned delivery, President Trump has announced America's withdrawal from the Paris Accord.

To summarise :

" I was elected to look after the interests of Americans and to make America great again.

As for the rest of the world......... :a19: "
Quite right as well!

When i vote next week il be voting for representation not for making Sudan or New Zealand great (again).

Cant fault him.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

What you can fault him for is his ignorance on the legal niceties of withdrawing from the Accord. It will take nigh on 4 years....by which time he'll be up for re-election. That has a familiar ring to it.

In the meantime he can, of course, refuse any Federal funding for environmentally friendly moves. But the majority of the American public, the majority of the big corporations and the majority of the States have already signaled that they will continue with "green" policies.

At least he didn't repeat his assertion that climate change is a Chinese-inspired hoax.

At a stroke, he's united the world . Quite an achievement!

“We don’t want other leaders and other countries laughing at us anymore — and they won’t be.”

Quite right. Mocking the mentally-deluded is just not nice.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Its a bit easy to go overboard on Trump.

Sure he's an idiot but that doesn't mean that everything he does is stupid...well it might.

Apparently the Paris accord was no big deal. No one gave much ground, everyone just submitted what they were going to do anyway and it all got packaged up. There was no breakthrough.

China (the biggest emitter) and India made promises nobody believed and refused to allow international checking of their progress.

Paris was never going to pass the Congress, everyone at Paris knew this, and the President can't sign a treaty without congress.

My cynical guess is that in private no world leader is surprised. Even if Mrs Clinton had been elected it would probably not been implemented.

Maybe all his bluster will produce a better deal from the laggards.

Does it really matter...maybe not. Meanwhile the US states are moving forward at a great rate with California, the 5th largest economy in the world agreeing to 100% renewables by, I think 2035.

In this country even a Nobel Prize scientist, who organized 75 other Nobelists for the second time in 70 years to make a joint declaration, is deeply pessimistic saying in public that Paris is far short of a solution and that we should prepare for a 5 degrees worst case scenario - chaos, famine, war, major human movements. He said "It scares the hell out of me. Am I optimistic? No. I’m probably even—I’m not a pessimist, but I’m scared, I am pessimistic.' http://thebulletin.org/brian-schmidt-cl ... ately10175

There is renewed talk, after 25 years of silence, of emergency geo-engineering solutions to deal with a crisis - hundreds of thousands of umbrella shaped satellites, algae in the ocean, spraying water vapour into the atmosphere, things NASA examined a long time ago but on which there was no international agreement and uncertain unintended effects. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/busi ... .html?_r=0. Maybe this could be a quick fix to deal directly with the sun's radiant heat because the current approach, reducing emissions, will take a century to get co2 back to pre industrial levels - even if fully implemented.

Getting all countries to agree to co-operate on reduced emissions with the chance that this will give some an advantage over others was always going to be a big call. Our monkey brains have difficulty in computing risk on big things which creep up on us slowly and anyway have an aversion to facing up to really dark scenarios. Also we don't like being told that the solution will be painful and complex and will take a long time.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I can agree with the above Hafiz. America not signing up to Paris is probably neither here nor there in the long run and if Trump is getting a little bit fed up with America subsidising the rest of the world - large parts of which repay their generosity with insults - who can blame him.

What's more important is what America does in the environmental/climate change area and i'm confident that rational science and economic sense will prevail....despite Trump.

I have a suspicion that the theatrical build up to yesterday's announcement, and the rose garden rant, was more designed to give a poke in the eye to his detractors and create a flurry of indignation which will detract attention from the "Russian affair".

At least for a while.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

He says its his America first pledge, but a lot of Americans will suffer even wore long term due to this decision. Climate change affects on the North Miami coastal regions and those of Florida have been suffering for a few years now due to rising sea levels as a direct result of climate change, as highlighted on a documentary yesterday on the BBC. The rising waters are drowning some areas out, homes lost, businesses destroyed. So they are livid with his decision, as both areas need urgent action now, not many years of new negotiations away.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:He says its his America first pledge, but a lot of Americans will suffer even wore long term due to this decision. Climate change affects on the North Miami coastal regions and those of Florida have been suffering for a few years now due to rising sea levels as a direct result of climate change, as highlighted on a documentary yesterday on the BBC. The rising waters are drowning some areas out, homes lost, businesses destroyed. So they are livid with his decision, as both areas need urgent action now, not many years of new negotiations away.
Maybe he'll extend the Mexican wall....to cover the East and West coasts...and the Caribbean basin.

5 metres high and waterproof. Job done. :ct
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Dusak wrote:He says its his America first pledge, but a lot of Americans will suffer even wore long term due to this decision. Climate change affects on the North Miami coastal regions and those of Florida have been suffering for a few years now due to rising sea levels as a direct result of climate change, as highlighted on a documentary yesterday on the BBC. The rising waters are drowning some areas out, homes lost, businesses destroyed. So they are livid with his decision, as both areas need urgent action now, not many years of new negotiations away.
Would that be the same BBC that claimed the debate the other day was balanced?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
Not just the BBC.

Sea-level rise is as clear a signal of climate change as increasing carbon dioxide concentrations and global temperature trends. No scientific evidence available today suggests that sea level will stabilize. Sea level is rising and is likely to rise faster as each decade passes,continuing for a considerable period of time.Evidence marshaled in this report underscores the challenge facing Florida for generations to come. Several local communities have begun to respond. Our wisest course is to expand our response to all of Florida now, while at the same time increasing our knowledge as recommended by this report.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/oceanscounci ... l_Rise.pdf
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:
Not just the BBC.

Sea-level rise is as clear a signal of climate change as increasing carbon dioxide concentrations and global temperature trends. No scientific evidence available today suggests that sea level will stabilize. Sea level is rising and is likely to rise faster as each decade passes,continuing for a considerable period of time.Evidence marshaled in this report underscores the challenge facing Florida for generations to come. Several local communities have begun to respond. Our wisest course is to expand our response to all of Florida now, while at the same time increasing our knowledge as recommended by this report.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/oceanscounci ... l_Rise.pdf
Cant see anything in your link that refers to the dabate? :D
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

[quote="newcastle"]What you can fault him for is his ignorance on the legal niceties of withdrawing from the Accord. It will take nigh on 4 years....by which time he'll be up for re-election. That has a familiar ring to it.

What a perfect mechanism for never leaving an agreement! By the time you are out you are up for re election - best stay in then.

How very EU

In the meantime he can, of course, refuse any Federal funding for environmentally friendly moves. But the majority of the American public, the majority of the big corporations and the majority of the States have already signaled that they will continue with "green" policies.

At least he didn't repeat his assertion that climate change is a Chinese-inspired hoax.

“We don’t want other leaders and other countries laughing at us anymore — and they won’t be.”

Quite right. Mocking the mentally-deluded is just not nice.[/quote]
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:

Would that be the same BBC that claimed the debate the other day was balanced
?
I said : Not just the BBC.

You said : Cant see anything in your link that refers to the dabate?

This thread is about Trump and climate change.

I thought your comment was suggesting the BBC knows bugger all and can't be trusted for impartiality...even for a programme about rising sea levels in Florida? So I provided a link pretty well confirming what their programme was saying.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the comment? :tk
Last edited by newcastle on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:[quote="newcastle"]What you can fault him for is his ignorance on the legal niceties of withdrawing from the Accord. It will take nigh on 4 years....by which time he'll be up for re-election. That has a familiar ring to it.

What a perfect mechanism for never leaving an agreement! By the time you are out you are up for re election - best stay in then.

How very EU

Not really. But like Brexit, it will be round about the time of the next Presidential election before anyone will be able to gauge the impact of leaving the Accord. Unlike Brexit, Trump can't pull May's stunt of extending his tenure to avoid it being an electoral issue.

Quite right. Mocking the mentally-deluded is just not nice.
[/quote][/quote]
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

Would that be the same BBC that claimed the debate the other day was balanced
?
I said : Not just the BBC.

You said : Cant see anything in your link that refers to the dabate?

Yes i know what i said - i said it!

This thread is about Trump and climate change.

Yes i know, clearly my intellect isnt as good as i thought you thought it was.

I thought your comment was suggesting the BBC knows bugger all and can't be trusted for impartiality...even for a programme about rising sea levels in Florida? So I provided a link pretty well confirming what their programme was saying.

Correct

Perhaps I misinterpreted the comment? :tk
My regard for your intellect appears to much higher than yours mine so im going to go with sense of humour failure rather than misinterpretation.