Hotel occupancy rates soar over Eid

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Hotel occupancy rates soar over Eid

Post by Hafiz »

Hotel occupancy rates soar over Eid break

“Hotel occupancy rates in Ain Sokhna, Marsa Matrouh, the North Coast, Alexandria, Sharm El Sheikh, and Hurghada soared over the Eid break, Al Shorouk reports, citing data from the Tourism Ministry. According to the ministry, most hotels in Ain Sokhna, Marsa Matrouh, and the North Coast filled 100% of their rooms. Hotels in Alexandria, Sharm El Sheikh, and Hurghada reported occupancy rates of 90%, while hotels in Greater Cairo were 98% booked over the holiday, mostly by Arab tourists, industry sources tell the newspaper. Meanwhile, Luxor and Aswan lagged behind, where hotels’ occupancy rates hovered at 15-20% over the holiday.”
Tuesday, 5 September 2017 https://enterprise.press/stories/2017/0 ... d-break-2/

The notion that at 20% Luxor 'lagged' must be irony.

Its difficult to know what is actually going on in tourism because the numbers don’t add up and media stories contradict each other. For example the Daily News Egypt had a report 10 months ago that hotels were closed in Sharm and 60,000 hotel rooms were closed on the North Coast – but even that story contained contradictions. November 17 2016 but their web site ‘seems down’.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Hotel occupancy rates soar over Eid

Post by newcastle »

I can vouch for the "Eid boom" in Hurghada. It was hell....but only lasted a week or so.

Just as one swallow does not a summer make, I wouldn't read too much into this regular annual influx of Egyptian holidaymakers.

More puzzling is where they find the money, given the dire economic situation.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Hotel occupancy rates soar over Eid

Post by carrie »

When I visited in June the place was full of Egyptian holiday makers with their children.