50 Egyptian police killed

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

50 Egyptian police killed

Post by crewmeal »

Sadly it's this kind of story in this kind of rag that prevent Brits coming to Egypt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mbush.html

Then you get comments like
Really not a safe place to visit.
and
God help any idiots who holiday in hellholes with people who hate us

How much is fact who knows!

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: 50 Egyptian police killed

Post by Horus »

Well it is hardly surprising that people make such comments when the news feeds and TV channels also carry a report of 50 Egyptian security personnel being killed while trying to arrest Islamic terrorists and lets not forget what happened at Hatshepsuts Temple some years ago. People will just just add all these incidents together and make their own mind up that Egypt is not a safe destination, they rarely put everything into perspective or context when planning a holiday.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: 50 Egyptian police killed

Post by newcastle »

The Daily Mail article is, unusually for them. accurate and to the point - probably because it seems to have a Reuters origin. It tallies with other reports although, as usual, the Egyptians are saying very little at this time.

I doubt it'll have any impact on tourism. The Bahariya Oasis is, I think, off limits to tourists following several incidents there. Wasn't that where several Mexican tourists were bombed by Egyptian forces a little while back?

The map showing how far away it is from the Red Sea should help.....although I doubt the author of the second comment cares that much. He appears to have little sense of current geopolitics or geography. Would he have the mental capacity to actually book a holiday to Egypt - or anywhere else?