Pope Backs Sisi.

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Pope Backs Sisi.

Post by Hafiz »

Well not really – well probably not at all.

Al Ahram ‘quotes’ the Pope backing Sisi’s anti-terrorism ‘strategy’. Other Cairo media run an identical story. http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... or-Eg.aspx

If its true its impossible to verify – except via Egyptian media. No media anywhere else in the world run this story – except for a very few minor rags in toilet places who merely run a story quoting al Ahram and have no other source. Al Ahram bases the story on a statement from the Egyptian Foreign Minister – I leave it to you to judge whether this Minister is a reliable source of the truth – world governments have already made up their minds about him.

The Vatican’s own website has no record of this statement – nor indeed of the alleged meeting with the Egyptian Ambassador in which it allegedly occurred. http://w2.vatican.va/content/vatican/en.html

The Roman newspapers which cover the Vatican have no record of such a statement.

Nevertheless it happened – al Ahram and the Egyptian Foreign Minister say so.Therefore things look good for Sisi in a Presidential election year and even if all/most western governments think the anti-terror strategy worse than useless.

The same al Ahram story had this bit of related rot:

“In October, Francis blessed an icon depicting the Holy Family's journey through Egypt, a move described by Egypt's Minister of Tourism Yehia Rashed as “the crowning glory” in accrediting Egypt as an international Christian pilgrimage spot” – desperate times (and no friends) lead to desperate measures/statements.

Egypt a pilgrimage ‘spot’ – and I thought the Christians were trying to get out as they have been trying to do for decades. The only time the Western Christian media mention Egypt is reports on burning churches or killing Christians - so I guess that the prime source for recruiting Christian tourists already has a strong view on Egypt. Besides what are the Christian sites worth visiting? And didn't ISIS attack St Catherine's in Sinai a few months ago (obviously not a good illustration of the success of the Pope 'backed' Sisi anti-terror program).

Maybe Egypt could turn adversity/failure to advantage and advertise itself to Western Christians as a martyr site - come to Egypt and get killed for your God. Now that sounds a good idea that should be given to a PR/marketing firm to spend a few million on targeting some of the madder parts of the US or the BREXIT voting areas of the UK. :lol: Such a strategy would be no madder than the current $US 70 million J Walter Thompson led one.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Pope Backs Sisi.

Post by newcastle »

A more accurate representation of the Pope's views on Egypt might be discerned from reading between the lines of the address he gave to Sisi and assorted dignataries when he visited Cairo in April 2017.

From his speech I offer the following extracts :

"Egypt is often mentioned in the sacred Scriptures. In this land, God spoke and “revealed his name to Moses” (JOHN PAUL II, Welcome Ceremony, 24 February 2000: Insegnamenti XXIII, 1 [2000], 248), and on Mount Sinai he entrusted to his people and to all humanity the divine Commandments. On Egyptian soil the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph found refuge and hospitality."

Indeed...but it was not always thus :

Exodus 6:5-6
Furthermore I have heard the groaning of the sons of Israel, because the Egyptians are holding them in bondage, and I have remembered My covenant. "Say, therefore, to the sons of Israel, 'I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from their bondage I will also redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgment.

"This destiny and role of Egypt are also the reason that led the people to call for an Egypt where no one lacks bread, freedom and social justice. Certainly this aim will become a reality if all are willing, together, to turn words into actions, authentic aspirations into commitments, written laws into enforced laws, by drawing on the innate genius of the Egyptian people."

Sisi must have winced at the reference to the slogan of Tahrir Square, He's trying to erase the 2011 revolution from collective memory.

"I can only encourage the bold efforts being made to complete a number of national projects ..."

Did we perceive a slight roll of the eyes at this point?

"Development, prosperity and peace are essential goods that merit every sacrifice. They are also goals that demand hard work, conviction and commitment, adequate planning and, above all, unconditional respect for inalienable human rights such as equality among all citizens, religious freedom and freedom of expression, without any distinction...."

Mmmmm....

""The true God calls to unconditional love, gratuitous pardon, mercy, absolute respect for every life, and fraternity among his children, believers and nonbelievers alike. It is our duty to proclaim together that history does not forgive those who preach justice, but then practice injustice. History does not forgive those who talk about equality, but then discard those who are different."

Hear hear! But at this point one suspects Sisi had nodded off.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... gypt-24826

The Catholic Herald didn't mince its words when referring to the visit :

"The Pope said nothing concrete about the Regeni case when asked, except to confirm that he had raised the matter with the General, and that the Vatican is taking some as yet unspecified steps."

"Giulio Regeni is just one of many people who disappear in Egypt, and his case is emblematic of all those for whom justice and truth are denied."

"All this highlights the difficulty the Pope faces in meeting with dictators like General al-Sisi. The General may be a friend of the Egyptian Christians, indeed their last best chance of survival, but he is, like so many rulers in the Middle East, not a savoury character."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/comment ... io-regeni/

Not a view shared by the majority of Egyptians who are convinced they have a fully-fledged democracy with a president whom they would elevate to sainthood...if they believed in such things.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Pope Backs Sisi.

Post by Major Thom »

Whats election year got to do with it, you can assume there will be interference.