Historic sex allegations

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Historic sex allegations

Post by carrie »

Yet another famous face has made allegations against a man she accuses of sexually molesting her more than 25 years ago. Why now? If it is true then has had another 25 years to carry on his activities.
A no doubt powerful woman in the film industry why keep quiet all this time? A claim to be a supporter of women's right doesn't ring true when she has allowed her sisterhood to be abused when she could have done something about it decades ago.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Historic sex allegations

Post by newcastle »

I can just about remember some "historic" sex.......and, yes, it would have been about 25 years ago. :a35:
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

carrie wrote:Yet another famous face has made allegations against a man she accuses of sexually molesting her more than 25 years ago. Why now? If it is true then has had another 25 years to carry on his activities.
A no doubt powerful woman in the film industry why keep quiet all this time? A claim to be a supporter of women's right doesn't ring true when she has allowed her sisterhood to be abused when she could have done something about it decades ago.
Simple reason - self-preservation.

Uma Thurman may have been a popular actress at the time but she didn't have the tiniest fraction of the power that Weinstein wielded. This is the guy who single-handedly destroyed the careers of both Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino when they rejected his advances.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/d ... ra-sorvino

Not only that, despite the claims only surfacing after 20-odd years, Weinstein has threatened to sue Thurman.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/harvey ... 201924826/

In the current climate it's hard to imagine that he will go through with this or that if he did, he would stand a chance of winning.

If he had sued back then, though, Thurman would pretty much have destroyed her own career.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Agreed.

I doubt many, if any, of these historic allegations will result in prosecutions. They are mainly of a "he said/she said" variety and. in the absence of a confession or witnesses, will fall far short of the "beyond reasonable doubt" criterion required for a successful criminal prosecution.

The only benefit I see of the current furore - and it's welcome - is that it will deter future "inappropriate" behaviour by those in a position of power. The risk of exposure, and the likelihood of it being believed - unlike in the past - will change the scene significantly.

Of course, it also heightens the risk of innocent parties being "blackmailed".
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I doubt very much if such decades old accusations suddenly surfacing will have the slightest difference to those in power towing the line towards taking unwanted liberties with women employees. They have the power to sack, demote or crush careers. So the aggrieved stay quiet until they, usually down to age or their sell by date running out, decide its now time to ruffle the feathers of the past farm yard c**k.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

:tk I remember hearing an actress many years ago saying that to be successful you have to prostitute yourself for your Art, but at the time didn't think it meant literally. :td
Smile! It confuses people
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Mad Dilys wrote::tk I remember hearing an actress many years ago saying that to be successful you have to prostitute yourself for your Art, but at the time didn't think it meant literally. :td
I suspect that there are still women - and perhaps men - who were/are positively willing to trade sexual favours for career opportunity or advancement.

In the current climate, they might find it more difficult to find willing "buyers"......not because human nature has changed that much but because of the possibility of the exchange coming back to haunt the buyer - sometimes many years in the future ;)

It's not PC to question the legitimacy of these "historic" allegations ......but you do wonder...... :ct
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I'm nearly finished Joe Eszterhas' The Devil's guide to Hollywood. 2006.
isbn-10:0 7156 3670 7
He's another Hungarian/Yank screenwriter who has earned millions and doesn't give a toss.
Quite amazing his tales, there is a fair bit from Marilyn Monroe and the rest of our idols.
This guy wrote Basic Instinct and is even bragging about bedding Sharon Stone.
Most of hollywood's famous names appear including our Harvey Weinstein.
This book is 11 years old but he relates sordid 'la la land affairs since the movie industry began.
Well worth a read it's publishers Duckworth are 5 minutes walk from my gaff, 'weird.... 8)
Ps: You will not believe what Marilyn and the rest quite happily admit to.
Mind you I'm also reading Twiggers' Dr.Ragab's Universal Language....£12.99 Picador another Egypt nut!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.