Tourist referred to criminal trial for insulting Egypt on FB

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Tourist referred to criminal trial for insulting Egypt on FB

Post by DJKeefy »

A Lebanese tourist who posted a video on Facebook complaining of sexual harassment and conditions in Egypt has been referred to criminal trial and ordered to be detained for 15 days, Egypt’s public prosecutor said on Sunday.

Mona el-Mazboh has been held since Thursday when she was arrested at Cairo airport at the end of her stay in Egypt after her outspoken video went viral on social media.

In the video, Mazboh complains of being sexually harassed by taxi drivers and young men in the street, as well as poor restaurant service during the holy month of Ramadan and an incident in which money was stolen from her during a previous stay.

Reuters could not reach Mazboh for comment or immediately verify the authenticity of the 10-minute video, in which she calls Egypt a “son of a bitch country”.

She could face three to five years in prison if found guilty, according to one of the lawyers who filed a complaint against her.

Referring to President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who was sworn in for a second term as president on Saturday, she says: “You deserve what Sisi is doing to you, I hope God sends you someone more oppressive than Sisi.”

Egyptian rights activists say they face the worst crackdown in their history under Sisi, accusing him of erasing freedoms won in the 2011 Arab Spring uprising that ended Hosni Mubarak’s 30-year rule.

Mazboh later posted a second video apologizing to “respectable Egyptians” for her remarks.

In a statement, the public prosecutor said Mazboh was charged with “deliberately spreading false rumors that are harmful to society and infringe upon religions.”

In a similar incident last month, Egyptian police detained activist Amal Fathy after she posted a video on social media criticizing the government for failing to protect women against sexual harassment and over worsening living conditions.

Source: Reuters

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Tourist referred to criminal trial for insulting Egypt o

Post by DJKeefy »

Be-warned!!! KEEP QUIET don't say anything bad or post anything negative about Egypt, else you may be next :(
NEXT they will be arresting you for looking at one of them the wrong way (or so they will say) POOR Egypt, not the place I once knew :( It must be hard for ex-pats always wondering if it might be their last day in Egypt. :sd
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Such a shame Egypt doesn't have an extradition treaty with Cyprus :vs
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

But, is she correct or not? that needs answering. No they do not have extradition orders for Cyprus and you very well know it so was it worth mentioning it. Nor, do they have an agreement with the UK and if you think about it very few people from the UK would want to go there anyway. I do agree with DJ though it must be horrible being an ex pat waiting for the knock on the door. Anyone can make a story up and in general they do, which makes it even more difficult. So don't drain your bank balance too much. We will see friends from Luxor this week in Paphos, so will hear just how bad things are getting financially.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:. No they do not have extradition orders for Cyprus .........

Oh but they do!! :lol:

Remember the Cyprus hijacking?

Egypt requested that Mostafa face trial under a bilateral agreement as the two countries have a 1996 extradition treaty.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I think you will find that they will only send back Egyptians, the Country does not have any human rights protection in order to send Europeans to Egypt... That is the saddest part of Egypt! :vs
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Major Thom wrote:But, is she correct or not? that needs answering. No they do not have extradition orders for Cyprus and you very well know it so was it worth mentioning it. Nor, do they have an agreement with the UK and if you think about it very few people from the UK would want to go there anyway. I do agree with DJ though it must be horrible being an ex pat waiting for the knock on the door. Anyone can make a story up and in general they do, which makes it even more difficult. So don't drain your bank balance too much. We will see friends from Luxor this week in Paphos, so will hear just how bad things are getting financially.
They could only speak of their own finances, how would they be able to comment on others? Its already old news that prices have risen a lot and your ''poor Egyptians'' are suffering even more. But, we all look forwards to new ground breaking guess work, speculation, hearsay and nonsense.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Poor Egyptians are having a hard time? Hardly news. It's always been tough for them.
if you think about it very few people from the UK would want to go there anyway.
says MT....who blithely ignores the soaring number of touristic visitors to Egypt....in particular to the Red Sea.

They're not coming to Luxor (other than for a cruise) for reasons that have been covered, ad nauseam, in previous posts....and reasons that have little if anything, to do with the plight of the Egyptians, the draconian security restraints, the visa situation, the squalor - or any of the other "reasons" highlighted by MT in his interminable twaddle. (HINT : check out the current cost of getting to Luxor, and it's amenities, and compare with other holiday destinations)

And as for the ones who came here thinking they could retire in comfort, without any formalities, in a sort of sunny version of Blackpool, (and, insofar as it wasn't they would quickly transform it!!), well they were just DUMB...DUMB....DUMB
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Facts are stranger, but truer, than fiction except for Brexiteers and Trumppsycolunatics.

Two things. Independent research says, and has said for years and this has been published in Cairo media, that Cairo is the worst place in the world/most dangerous for women. Why this person is now 'dealt with' for information that has been in the Egyptian media for years is bizzare and perverse. http://www.france24.com/en/20171016-cai ... city-women How Egypt can claim to be the worlds best tourist location yet allow this, and the standard tout harrasment, shows you all you need to know about the 70 year military junta and their capacity to manage even the smallest things.

Second, a upper class woman in Cairo who posted that she had been groped and grabbed (by the 'beloved' and 'glorious' police and the perfect and respected security guards in banks) on a 3 hour visit to central Cairo got what you get in Egypt for telling the truth - rounded up. Every one knows the police are trash and security guards much worse. https://www.thedailybeast.com/sexually- ... amal-fathy

She got groped in public in a central Cairo bank chamber - but no one is to know and talking about it threatens national security and will lead to immediate invasion by an enemy. What rot, but this case, and the other, shows you that hundreds of dim Military robots with low IQ's are monitoring the web with all the good judgement you would expect of a 'profession' that believes in absolute, unremitting control.

If you don't listen to complaints and mistakes nothing will get fixed but who in power wanted anything fixed - it might lead to change and loss of power. The truth is best preserved in secrecy and its revelation always leads to chaos. Rot.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

You had better ask ex tourists to Luxor on that Newc. I think most will disagree. Can you imagine the uproar there would be if the same applied to the UK and someone called the PM a Tw-t, and they were imprisoned. Thats the difference, if you cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen.... :lol: :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:You had better ask ex tourists to Luxor on that Newc. I think most will disagree.
The ones like you maybe!

They've probably moved on to places more in tune with their requirements.....Benidorm, Costa del Sol, Mallorca, Bulgaria (I hear it's cheap),Cyprus....lots of real Brit entertainment, fish & chips. full greasy breakfasts etc.

Good riddance :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Yes you are right I have moved on, to a modern culture, freedom of speech, and a place that is organised in almost everything to aid the public. Regarding greasy food, when you ate out in most places in Luxor there was far more grease in its food than I had ever seen in my life, litres of cheap cooking oil prepared in kitchens that to be honest would not get past the strict cleanliness requirements of the EU. (Take a look next time you eat out in Luxor, flies all over the kitchens, unclean cooking equipment that should have been replace years ago, and in a few cases staff that really need to clean themselves up) But when you mention breakfast, all types are available, not just English Breakfast's to cater for the mass influx of EU tourists. It's entirely the choice of the tourist to what they want to eat, but there is plenty of choice and variations. Regarding entertainment, we have again a large spectrum, from English music, to traditional Greek Music, but I can assure you it is musical, in both tune and tempo. The choice again is wide depending on what you want. Look at the choice in Luxor, (That is the place I am talking of) singing on full reverb, rhythm all out and squeaky Rababa music. When I do look back I do realise the CULTURE WAS NOT FOR ME AT ALL. At the time I thought I would enjoy a change in culture, and at first I did, but like Jeremy Kyle it got so boring I could not stand it. (At least hear there is a noise abatement act which prevents loud music being played in certain built up areas) thus enabling people to be able to rest for the next mornings work. The culture here is Rest and Play, but do not forget work in the morning. No matter where people go on holiday they require a choice of what to eat, where to go and the freedom to do so and enjoy themselves. For Hurghada I cannot comment I never went there much and when I did go it was for the airport only. To mention Hurghada, well I can imagine that it may well be similar to Cyprus. I imagine it may be a lot cleaner than Luxor, and I imagine it caters for EU Tourists, because thats where the cash is coming in from and to not cater for EU Citizens would be like cutting the throat of a sheep. 'That is why quite a few UK citizens live there and enjoy it there the choice must be far greater. I still bet though that eyes and ears are looking and watching every move.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Willy waving in Ayia Napa

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/story?id=118825&page=1

Don't get any ideas MT ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Actually MT. there's not much in the above I would disagree with...although you're being a bit naive if you think even western restaurants are not above criticism in terms of hygiene etc. Trust me...I used to be involved in one (on the Norfolk Broads). What the eye doesn't see.... :lol:
When I do look back I do realise the CULTURE WAS NOT FOR ME AT ALL.
At last...some light at the end of the tunnel!

Why you would think Luxor, or Egypt generally. would adapt to YOUR requirements, rather than vice versa is one of life's great mysteries. That's why any sensible ex-pat -anywhere - rents for a few years, to get the feel of the place before burning his boats, putting down roots, investing in property etc.

It's not that I am unaware of the negative aspects of life here. I deal with them as best I can. And if the day comes when the positives no longer outweigh the negatives, I'll move on.....but without, I hope, the bitterness that you display.

I don't know why you obsess about Luxor. It's not as if the world at large is even aware of your views, let alone cares about them.

For your very limited audience here you display a sort of Victor Meldrew character...but without the humour or likeable pathos.

Maybe you enjoy being insulted :ni:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote:Willy waving in Ayia Napa

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/story?id=118825&page=1

Don't get any ideas MT ;)
"Cyprus police are coy about exact figures, especially on skyrocketing drug abuse, but they do admit that traffic offenses are up 100 percent and nuisance complaints (mainly about loud music) are up 31 percent from last year. All illicit drug possession and use is strictly illegal in Cyprus. So, too, is homosexuality.

The New Sodom and Gomorrah

Having sex in public is such a common occurrence that few, especially not the overstrained police force, seem to take much notice of it."

Sounds just like Luxor!

"Ayia Napa is tucked away in the east of the island, well away from other mainstream resorts such as Limassol and Paphos. Cyprus authorities are cracking down on any attempt by the rave scene to spread away from the Ayia Napa area."

Phew!! :a78:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Well, all I can say having read the report, it sounds like a right s*** hole to live, acts of public pubic depravity, drugs, drunkenness and crime. Thank god I live in a more civilized country.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

D when were you last in Cyprus, could it have been when Egypt was a spotlessly clean place to live. (In your Dreams) I don't mind being insulted at all, but when the truth is out and people get insulted then its pot and kettle again. The problem I think is remembering the first day in Gezera when we moved, my wife turned to me and said God Good its not very clean, but then like most things your eyes just seem to avert from it, the cheapness takes over. (Not anymore though) When we arrived here she said goodness what a difference in how clean the place is, hardly any litter, homes kept clean with lovely gardens, and a refuge collection twice a week, with a recyclable collection once a week. Nice lush areas, lovely coastline walks, fresh clean air, and ex pats that cannot be bothered about others or their business. Its an Island of fun and enjoyment..
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If your new environment suits you, fine. Mine suits me at the moment, but that is not to say that it couldn't change in the future.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

And its banking/legal/accounting systems are also rotten.

The Mubarak hundreds of millions and EFG Hermes and related Cairo crooks all went to Cyprus.

International criminals and worse use Cyprus to move their stuff - including weapons of mass destruction (almost certainly the gas used in Syria) via a certain bank.

Dirty Russian money and even dirtier Russians have been flooding into Cyprus for over 10 years.

Cyprus was the destination, according to the 'reliable' Hawass of the millions generated from the overseas Tut exhibition - no one has found it.Any place that has anything to do with Hawass has a very defined character.

The wretched Cypriot ‘banks’ which processed the sale of weapons of mass destruction to Syria – possibly the same rotten Cypriot bank used by the Mubarak’s and their friend Hawass for the proceeds of the King Tut international exhibition. Cyprus is a rotten hole for banking. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... laundering and https://www.occrp.org/en/goldforvisas/r ... s-passport

Its government is a joke and probably very corrupt along with its police, the prosecution service and the so-called Judiciary. Someone should throw them out of the EU.

The best that be said about the Government of Cyprus is that they will utterly waste the new revenues from their new gay discoveries - if the ruling class doesn't steal it first.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Hafiz wrote: The wretched Cypriot ‘banks’ which processed the sale of weapons of mass destruction to Syria – possibly the same rotten Cypriot bank used by the Mubarak’s and their friend Hawass for the proceeds of the King Tut international exhibition. .
Hold on here Hafiz, when the Cyprus banks are paying up to 7% on the Euro, when the European Central Bank is paying F all, what do you expect, the ECB, or should I say the 'Bundbank' were spitting feathers.

I hear the ECB is still shelling out guarantees to their 'loyal' Russian customers who have a fixed term account,.......and would you have not done the same. :wi .

P.S. - if you really want to see 'real' banking at work check out Child & Co the real bankers of Her Britannic Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, (not her current account).