Egyptian Jackal Attacks 18 in Assiut

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

By: Rehab Ismail Sat, Jul. 28, 2018

CAIRO – 28 July 2018: An Egyptian jackal attacked 18 in Dairout Center, Assiut governorate. The injured were sent to hospitals in Assiut to receive the care and vaccines needed.

Police forces killed the jackal after it attacked the citizens.

General Gamal Shokr, assistant minister of Interior and Director of Security in Assiut, was notified by the police in Dairout that a jackal has attacked 18 citizens. Police forces looked for the jackal and killed it. And the prosecution is investigating the case.

The Egyptian jackal is a member of the wolf family. Many archeologists believe that the god Anubis was inspired by jackals; Anubis is Egyptian god of the afterlife and mummification in the ancient Egyptian mythology. He was said to have invented the process of mummification and taught it to the Egyptian people.

A number of jackals reported attacking citizens in different governorates over the last five years, sparking fears among residents of these areas.

http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1/548 ... -in-Assiut

Carpe diem! :le:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Egyptian Jackal Attacks 18 in Assiut

Post by DJKeefy »

Poor thing, I bet it was just a dog, I remember once at a village in Minsha (Luxor) all the people came out of the house with big sticks to go after a WOLF prowling the village, they must have been 50+ people, I don't know if they got it or not, afterwards I tried telling them there is no wolfs in Egypt, (that's what ACE told me) but they would not have it :roll:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

There are wolves in Egypt, but rare. They are genetically related to the Gray Wolf. There are also jackals, related to Golden Jackals, also rare, not necessarily in egypt.

That saying, it was probably a dog, but just maybe.....

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot ... f3S2mKq.97
http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/featur ... e-wolf-god
Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:Poor thing, I bet it was just a dog, I remember once at a village in Minsha (Luxor) all the people came out of the house with big sticks to go after a WOLF prowling the village, they must have been 50+ people, I don't know if they got it or not, afterwards I tried telling them there is no wolfs in Egypt, (that's what ACE told me) but they would not have it :roll:
I agree.

Quite likely a dog rather than a jackal or egyptian wolf which are quite rare.

How it managed to injure 18 people is anyone's guess. It would normally run from humans. Perhaps they cornered it and set about it with sticks and stones.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

About four years ago while driving through vast sugar cane fields my taxi driver suddenly slammed the brakes on stating that the dog prowling on the canal bank was a wolf. I don't know if it was or wasn't, but it certainly didn't resemble any dog I've seen. He refused to budge until it had returned into the sugar cane
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Ive' seen wolves, I also have a skull and once saw three wolves hanging off the backside of a live donkey they were eating.... 8)
I like Wolves....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Who2 wrote:Ive' seen wolves, I also have a skull and once saw three wolves hanging off the backside of a live donkey they were eating.... 8)
I like Wolves....
We all have a scull who2. Its the internal bits some lack.:lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Jackals would dig up dead bodies out of the sand, being scavenges by nature, so I don't suppose it took a great deal of thought to make them a "god" of the afterlife.
perhaps Mummification came about out of necessity after seeing your loved one being eaten by a Jackal should you later decide to re-visit the burial place, because Grandma was late for the funeral..

these days, I think the Tibetans have Sky burials, a fancy name for leaving you loved ones outside so the local carrion can get a quick easy meal..
Considering the terrain, its probably the only thing they can do with bodies..

But its always nice to add some sort of mystic romanticism with the ritual, like having you body flown up to heaven by some vultures.... piece by piece...
Oh Look ! there goes uncle Jacks left kidney.. Bless.. 8)
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

John Landon wrote:Jackals would dig up dead bodies out of the sand, being scavenges by nature, so I don't suppose it took a great deal of thought to make them a "god" of the afterl
Strange but true, most common people of Egypt in ancient times also believed in the afterlife, but these poor souls were buried on the flat desert plains, and yes almost as darkness fell, the jackal would be seen 'carrying off' their dead relatives off towards the West and the afterlife.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And no doubt they were observed skulking around such burial grounds and so the myth developed that they were some sort of guardians of the cemetery.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I don't really believe in a permanent afterlife. More "Le manege enchante".. :wi
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

John Landon wrote:I don't really believe in a permanent afterlife. More "Le manege enchante".. :wi
Said Zeberdee ;)
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Indeed Horus.. Time for bed... Boing.. 8) But remember, there is always the next episode to look forward to... :br
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

I don't believe this story.

18 people bitten by a Jackal or a related animal. First jackals are rare. Second Dairout Center north of Assiut is 140,000 people and wild animals, except if very hungry stay away from major population centers. Third wild animals always run from people although its true that if they are used to prowling in populated areas they can be defiant. Fourth how do 18 Egyptians get organized to corner a Jackal - getting 2 organized to do this would take a week. Fifth Jackals can carry Rabies and for a very short period of time this can produce very aggressive behaviors - but only for a few days followed by ga ga.

This is a probably wild dog used to people and possibly badly treated and aggressive - like 10 million others in Egypt. That 17 idiots stuck to their their ground after the first was bitten is beyond belief. That no one tried food or coaxing but inflamed the situation should surprise no one. That if cornered no one tried dog 101 - throwing a blanket over it tells you a deal about the appalling animal husbandry skills of Upper Egypt where aggressive behavior is manly - but stupid. That no one let it go is a mystery except if you don't know hysterical male Egyptians in a crazed group behave. That Egypt Today published implausible garbage surprises few - except on this forum.

Is the fate of the animal clear?

An aside - rabies is out of control in Egypt in the sense that the government/ministry of health does what it does best - nothing in eradication but some things after the event when people are infected. If infects cats and dogs, bats also but also horses and other animals. Its easily prevented but the Supreme Doctors avoid prevention campaigns like the plague - they reduce new business. Like so many other things the WHO has put billions in over 3 decades and nothing has happened. The Veterinary profession in Egypt is beyond words and animal round ups by towns/cities and governates pathetic.

For an agricultural society Egyptians have attitudes to domestic and commercial animals which surprise and anger the world. For example Australia used to export sheep and cattle, live, for slaughtering in Egypt. Before the days of aggressive animal rights campaigns it nevertheless became obvious that barbaric practices were widespread following which we invested taxpayers, Australian, money in training and better facilities following which the Egyptians did the same following which we ceased all exports (Previously about $US1 billion a year in modern money) and we won't touch them but deal with other barbaric countries whilst trying to make money exporting to them. The other countries we export to have shown they will respond to criticism and incentives to behave better - maybe. Inflexible unchanging Egyptian behavior in this area is very odd because it is entirely dependent on meat imports because its farms/bloodstock/breeding/farming practices are so useless and, for example, it consumes red meat at twice the per head rate of Saudi.

Another example - whilst there is the marvelous Brooke, established by an Englishwoman, there is no nationwide animal NGO like the RSPCA - nor anything close to it. There are few countries in this category.

My observations of farmers in Upper Egypt is not positive, but not in all cases, and I am no sentimentalist and definitely not an animal rights person nor naive about the difficulties of farmers.

I sometimes think that how a country treats its animals is a litmus test of how it treat its humans.