British Air cancel all flights to Cairo.

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

British Air cancel all flights to Cairo.

Post by Major Thom »

British Airways have cancelled all flights to Cairo amid a report on security. Wonder if any other airlines (apart from Egyptair) follow suit. The news flash gave no reasons or expanded on what the report on security was about. Anyway intially its for 7 days.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: British Air cancel all flights to Cairo.

Post by DJKeefy »

British Airways flights to Cairo cancelled.

British Airways has cancelled all flights to the Egyptian capital Cairo for a week as a security "precaution".

Passengers about to board a BA flight to the city from London's Heathrow Airport were told that it was cancelled - and that there would be no alternative flights for a week.

The airline did not specify what the security issue was.

A spokesman for Cairo airport told the BBC the airport had yet to be notified by BA of any such changes.

A BA spokesman said: "We constantly review our security arrangements at all our airports around the world, and have suspended flights to Cairo for seven days as a precaution to allow for further assessment.

"The safety and security of our customers and crew is always our priority, and we would never operate an aircraft unless it was safe to do so."

The UK Foreign Office on Friday updated its advice for Britons travelling to Egypt.

The advice includes the warning: "There's a heightened risk of terrorism against aviation. Additional security measures are in place for flights departing from Egypt to the UK."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49059700
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:39 pm British Airways have cancelled all flights to Cairo amid a report on security.
That news must have made your day! :urm:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Major Thom wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:39 pm British Airways have cancelled all flights to Cairo amid a report on security. Wonder if any other airlines (apart from Egyptair) follow suit. The news flash gave no reasons or expanded on what the report on security was about. Anyway initially its for 7 days.
I heard it was something to do with the flight path over Southern Cyprus,
Hot air escaping from The Troodos mountains...... 8)
Ps: intially ? Iv'e corrected your spelling for you! initially.....Go and stand in the corner, You stupid boy!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I understand that Lufthansa has now pulled out of Cairo also.

This suggests to me that the baggage security scanner at this airport has been caught either faulty or switched by independent security inspectors.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

And why would it have made my day Newcastle? I was just repeating a Newsflash on TV, because we can watch up to the minute News. More or less to say if you have flights to UK be prepared for cancellations and other airlines taking the same action. But now you have said that I will add its something that will never effect me! Your far too cynical!!! and seem to think that at any opportunity I can get will have a go. I made the choice to both move to Luxor and also invest in Luxor by building my own home, but as I got older and my health started getting worse, I needed real and proper medical treatment. Luxor could not help me. Within 2 months of moving from a third world country, tests and real investigation got to the bottom of it, and hopefully within the next year my health will have returned to normal. Of course it was something that could have been treated in Luxor but due to lack of investment and experience the problem, even after 6 months of investigation was not picked up. I would never deny anyone leaving to chase a better health or life. This is what may happen if you live in a third workd country. If you look at the post after mine by DJK, on the same news would you consider DJK to be having a go, after all he lived in Luxor and now lives back in the UK
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am And why would it have made my day Newcastle? ......blah......blah..... Your far too cynical!!! and seem to think that at any opportunity I can get will have a go. .....blah...blah
:a84: :a84: :58:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 am I understand that Lufthansa has now pulled out of Cairo also.

This suggests to me that the baggage security scanner at this airport has been caught either faulty or switched by independent security inspectors.
Lufthansa are resuming flights today.

BA will have shared any information is had regarding security so there is a bit of a mystery why only BA seems concerned enough to suspend flights for a week.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am And why would it have made my day Newcastle? I was just repeating a Newsflash on TV, because we can watch up to the minute News.
I am reminded that certain passages from the Holy Bible are as real as then as they are today.

Matt 5 : 29, if thy eye offends thee,........

In other words, this forum is made up of a whole 'body', just because one of the eyes is so awful, one should simply ignore this, do not even read of it, and therefore life is much more wonderful.

Even the so called barflies are beginning to realise that. :wi .
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

@A-Four if you dislike a certain member/s and do not wish to read their posts, all you have to do is add the member/s to your foes list in your user control panel :)

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible (a show post link will replace the post which you can click if you wish to read). Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It now appears that BA simply wanted to review their own security measures and, having given no details to anyone, panic set in with the MSM....and Lufthansa.

You couldn’t make it up......... :lol:

Regional Customer Service Manager of British Airways Sherif Barsoum told press on Sunday that security measures at Cairo International Airport are 100 percent excellent and that there are no reservations on that level.

Barsoum explained that the company’s decision to suspend the flights for seven days is to review its own security systems, adding that the decision was not made by the UK Department for Transport. He affirmed that the latest check by the UK Department for Transport on security measures at Cairo International Airport revealed no loopholes in the security system. That check took place last week.

Barsoum stated that flights will resume on July 26, and that the airline’s flights to other cities in Egypt are still operating.

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1/73 ... apologizes

Well....that’s the BA/Egyptian side of the story.... :tk
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

"Regional Customer Service Manager of British Airways Sherif Barsoum........ "
Customer Service?????????
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

All seems to be very odd.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

newcastle wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:28 pm It now appears that BA simply wanted to review their own security measures and, having given no details to anyone, panic set in with the MSM....and Lufthansa.

So why did they target Cairo only and not other destinations in the world?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:43 pm
newcastle wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:28 pm It now appears that BA simply wanted to review their own security measures and, having given no details to anyone, panic set in with the MSM....and Lufthansa.

So why did they target Cairo only and not other destinations in the world?
Quite.

As I implied, none of it makes much sense.....unless Barsoum speaks with forked tongue.

Let the conspiracy theories roll! :lol:
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

My take on this scenario is If it was/is security then they would not reinstate flights on a specific day. Look at Sharm. Still no UK carrier allowed in there even though the resort is safe. Again if there was ‘chatter’ picked up by say GCHQ then I would be surprised to see BA back the in Cairo.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I can not be sure but I suspect that BA's crew have passed through the security screening at Cairo airport which is the same procedure as for ordinary passengers. I honestly believe that one member deliberately carried though an ordinary item, though it should have sent out a full scale alarm, but nothing happened. On return to London this would have been immediately reported.

While we the ordinary people go through Cairo just a couple of times a year, the same air crews go through there almost every day. At the same time the security staff at Cairo, probably get a 'little' tired now that their instrument are set more sensitively, than in the past. I understand that the sensitivity can be increased or decreased, as I'm sure most of us have realised when entering international hotels in that country.

I think BA has sent a warning to Cairo, with regards Lufthansa, I believe Cairo has said the usual,....."please, please, please,...sorry, sorry, sorry,.....this will not happen again." and Lufthansa has believed them,.....but in truth, do we believe what they say ?

We should also remember that airlines such as British Airways, Air France or Lufthansa can go bust in 24 hours,........Remember Pan Am after Lockerbie.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Isn't there a strike due by BA pilots/crew.
Coincidence?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 pm Isn't there a strike due by BA pilots/crew.
Coincidence?
I don't think so Hepzbah, the strike that was due to take effect from this Friday has been cancelled.

The on going dispute concerns a three or five year pay deal, that was rejected in view of the large recent profit by that company
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

BA lost the court case against BALPA (The pilot’s union) and will announce strike dates for next month. Meanwhile the Heathrow strike is off for tomorrow but the strike scheduled for August 5th is still on which is when I’m due to fly to Luxor