Windows 10

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Windows 10

Post by Horus »

This may be of help to some members
As I don't use Windows 8.1 these instructions apply to Win 7 although it will be similar in Win 8 & 8.1

This download from Microsoft is extremely complicated and takes several forms, for this reason I cannot go into all of the details involved with the installation or removal, but this may help:

(a) Most people who's PC was compatible were offered the free upgrade.
(b) Many people clicked the 'reserve a copy' option.
(c) This installed a series of 'Microsoft Updates' onto your PC
(d) For Windows 8.1 update these are shown as KB3035583 and KB2976978. in the update list.
(e) Windows 7 Service Pack 1 the following updates exist: KB3035583, KB2952664, and KB3021917.
(f) It is the above updates that are responsible for the notification nag on the task bar and the update.
(g) In some instances dependant upon what you did in the past when the various 'nags' showed up on your screen, the program files are either waiting to be installed or have already been (sneakily in my opinion) installed into a folder on your PC named: $Windows.~BT, it is this folder that will make the update installation.
(h) The above folder can be deleted, but it is a pain in the butt and not for the faint hearted, if it is not hogging too much space then best left alone.

To remove the 'nags' and to prevent any unwanted update you will need to:.
(1) Remove the 'Updates' listed above applicable to your own Operating System (Win 7 or 8.1)
(2) Stop the 'Updates from 'reinstalling' on your PC

You can check to see if the $Windows.~BT folder exists by:
Win 8 & 8.1
Open File Explorer, and from the ribbon menu, select View, and click on Folder Options.
Select View, go to "Advanced settings" and check Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
Click Apply and OK.
Go to the root drive or "C:" and you should look for the $Windows.~BT folder. If the folder exists, you can check the properties of the folder. If the download has completed you will notice that the folder size is anywhere between 3GB to 6GB.

Win 7
Right click the 'Orb' icon (bottom left) and choose 'Open Windows Explorer'
From the 'Organise' menu on the left choose 'Folder and search options' from the drop down menu.
From the 'Folder options' menu choose 'View'
Scroll down the list and under 'Hidden Files and folders' put a tick in the 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' option. Then click 'Apply' this should now show any hidden folder on your 'C' drive.

If this folder does not exist then the files have not already been down loaded ready for installation, if they have, then you should still remove the 'Update' files as listed above as hopefully it will stop a future unwanted installation.

Removing the unwanted 'Update' files. (this is for Win 7 but Win 8 should be similar)
Launch Control Panel and open Programs and features.
In the left pane click on the View Installed Updates link. (wait until the green bar has moved fully across the top of the window and everything is listed)

If you're running Windows 8.1 Update, check for these updates: KB3035583 and KB2976978.

If you're running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 verify if the following updates exist: KB3035583, KB2952664, and KB3021917.

If any of these updates are found, right-click on each update and click Uninstall from the context menu.
If prompted to restart, just click to do it later and continue uninstalling the updates.
Finally, reboot your computer.

Stopping those files from reinstalling (Win 7)
Launch Control Panel, select Windows Update, and click Check for updates.
After a short time you should see a list of 'Updates' look for the 'Important' ones and click on the list.

You should see all of the files you deleted listed there, right-click on each of them, and choose Hide update. This will block the service from re-downloading the updates in future.

It is worth noting that the updates referred to here can be anywhere in a long list and so I suggest that you write each one down and carefully scroll through the list of updates and double check it is the correct one before deleting anything. I suggest that you print out the instructions and do yourself a 'dummy run' of all the menus involved in order to familiarise yourself with the proceedure before doing it for real.

The above information should stop the Windows 10 nag on your task bar plus stop any attempted future download of Win 10.

Please note that I am giving this information in good faith and it is up to each of you to decide if you are capable of carrying out the deletion and I cannot be responsible for anyone cocking it up, neither am I in a position to offer individual help as operating systems and menus may vary.