Assisted Suicide the Question ?

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Assisted Suicide the Question ?

Post by Who2 »

As, AS seems to be the topic of the moment and none of us get any younger, my brain Brian started turning it over.
My mum was, when I was 8 by our family doctor who was also the MO of Kent and died in a bed fire whilst smoking.
Now the family of someone, who has recently be turned down by the Courts, his family stated "they did not want him ending up dying in an industrial estate in Switzerland. Problem solved, come to the Land of the Dead.
Now should the government pass an assisted suicide bill, which they will soon, will it all end up like 'Soylent Green one of my favorite films http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/
I remember crying during the AS of Edward G Robinson in the front row of the Ritzy in 1973.
'be lucky..'winta tieb...:cool:
Stonewall Jackson's last words
"Let us pass over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."
edit: that should read [Palm] trees

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Assisted Suicide the Question ?

Post by Bullet Magnet »

My mum too needed a little help, and it came..

Well, it was inevitable once administered. I left her on her own, in her own bed I had carried her up to a few days before.

I beleive all people should die alone and in as much peace as possible. My sister decided to stay with my Mum though.
So, while my mum laid dying, I went to find a problem I didn't have to fix on my car. :cool:

Of course, that was not the last I heard of my dear Mother, she's still there from time to time..
Last Wednesday evening, funnily enough.

Why do people look upon death as such a NEGATIVE thing. especially the death of someone else. It is pure selfishness from my point of view. The truth be known about death, it aint that bad, it is just the price the body pays for our life on earth.

Should the time come, I will not ask the state's permission to die. **** them !!
I have always had a series of plans in any given situation that would ensure a peaceful shutdown of my body and liberate my soul from this low vibrational vehicle.

It makes no difference in the bigger picture of things, suicide, being murdered, and accident or just good old natural death.

It's just a game...and We have changed the rules through neglect and handing over our power... ;)
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

This is really emotive topic for people employed in "caring"profession!
But,very few people die surrounded by family.
They tend to "slip away"in a quiet moment when no-one is around!
I personally think there's a "Higher Power" at work in these circumstance that understand that it's all a question of dignity.
We can sit for hours with a dying patient...it's really strange because maybe the day before they kinda get a "second wind" and the impression is given that they are on the mend!
All telltale signs that the end is near!
And yes...we get very "attached"to patients...we shed a tear and wish them "God speed."
Then we deal with the relatives!
I've seen that poor man on television....it's heartbreaking scenario!
But we are bound by rules and regulations and can only do what is legal.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Completely Right ST. :up
The number of people who have passed away when those holding a bedside vigil go off for a cup of tea.
It's so much easier to pass away on your own, truly it is, there's a good reason for that.

This guy should not have attempted to take on the system. You cant win,
The Doctor's association see death as a failure, and that does nothing for their self serving professional body..
He has admitted that the state owns his body, and then he gets upset when the state wont allow him to die.

Find your own freedom within to beat the system. That applies to many aspects of life...
This guy needed a supporting family to help him on his way, they should have worked together..
There are ways and means without getting yourself stitched up for assisted murder.
Now, with all the publicity he has generated, if he did die, the house will be crawling with Police in an attempt to prove his family did help him on his way..
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Isn't it odd ???

If you kept a dog alive that was riddled with cancer, you would be told to put it down or face animal cruelty charges.

Do the same to a human, and you are considered a kind and caring person, and it is accepted as your duty to do all you can for that person if you are a relative..

Humans.. :cg
Lisak
Palestine

Post by Lisak »

Bullet Magnet wrote:Isn't it odd ???

If you kept a dog alive that was riddled with cancer, you would be told to put it down or face animal cruelty charges.

Do the same to a human, and you are considered a kind and caring person, and it is accepted as your duty to do all you can for that person if you are a relative..

Humans.. :cg

Thought exactly the same B M. I think it is disgusting the way this man has been treated, it is his body, his life and he should have the choice to go with dignity, not living a hell as he is now, it is damnright cruelty! I would have no hesitation in assisting a member of my family along their way if this situation arose and this was their wish.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well Gandhi went on a few hunger strikes did he not and Bobby Sands gave up fast foods, so it is possible to kill oneself it just takes a bit a time, probably quite a long time how long i don't know, but I do know without brain stimulation it's no messing! 'off to the coffin in the 'shake of a lambs tail. 'remember "it's not the cough that carries you off it's the coffin they carry you off-in'....joke..:cool:
Sophocles.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

My dear old Dad (85) died Friday morning, sitting in the car outside the pharmacy where my mother was getting his scripts filled. Appropriate really; he was a retired pharmacist. He had been praying aloud for years to "be taken". No more pain, no more anxiety; at peace at last. A kind and good man who lived a kind and good life.
Carpe diem! :le:
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I hope that you and she are able to support and console each other through this sad time WI, God bless you.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Winged Isis, I am very sorry for your loss. I hope that you and your mother are coping with your bereavement and grief. No matter what age or ailments our parents may have, it is still a shock to the system and a great sadness when they are no longer there. Thinking of you at this time.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

I too offer my condolences WI.
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.x
Lisak
Palestine

Post by Lisak »

So sorry for your loss WI.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Talking of assisted suicide has anyone heard about that British man who kept going to the high courts to ask permission for his wife to help him die. his mind was fine but his body had something called 'Locked in Syndrone" or is this the same case you are talking about?

My honest belief is that there is already assited suicide in the UK and personally I believe Palletable Care in the UK is first class, when my mother, Bless her heart died at the age of 94, following multiple strokes, I was the only one in the family to make the decission to let her pass peacefully, a hard decission but what I believe the only one at the time, all fluids were just gathering under the skin and not going around the body. Eventually it was decided that she should be put onto an automatic Morphine drip, like most people in the last day or two of their lives. Although this gives them great pain relief I also believe it is a form of helping them to die in dignity and peace.

I will never regret the decission I made...but do wonder if this is a form of assisted suicide. If it is then I agree entirely, when all hope has gone then there needs to be a proper and meaningful way to help a person. Dont forget everyone reading this will be subjected to this one day.. Maybe ST will come back with her experience and comment on this!! I am not trying to be morbid, its a fact of life, that needs to be addressed.

Sorry to hear about your father WI (sorry I have been pulled up about abreiviating names) Winged Isis.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I find it odd, that I only see death as a celebration of the life that the loved one lived.
maybe it's just down to how I have always viewed life, and that those we think are gone, actually still exist.
Their interaction is somewhat limited, because they have no body and beating heart. But if one is observant enough, messages still come through.

Here's a tale to make you think, a true story that I was involved with recently.

A lady comes to sit by me on the train from time to time, I knew her name before she told it to me when we first introduced ourselves.

She had talked about going to see a medium, I said it would be a good idea, and so she did.

It transipred during the session that 2 children wanted to see to this lady, they were her children.
She of course said that she had no children. She did not, that was true.
However some 17 years ago, she had 2 miscarriges at about 7 weeks into each pregnancy.

The lady was shown a picture of the medium's 2 children, then the faces changed into the 2 children who wished to see this lady.
She was taken aback somewhat, but she said that at the time she sort of knew they were there.
She asked me how this could be ? and I said that although in her reality, she had lost her 2 children, but in the chilren's reality that THEY had chosen, they were together as a family with her.

Like I have said many times, Life is a funny Game. And the truth be known, we take it way too seriously in the West and that is down to inherited belief systems.
I apologise in advance to those who do not see it that way, and I can understand how death of a loved one can affect you in a bad or negative way.
In the end, it all makes perfect sense, and you wonder how it was that you never knew.
Yes, you see your loved ones again, but even that does not matter once you have hit the realisation..
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

It's all a question of "consent"CE.
We do not "do"assisted suicide!
First and foremost,the patient will be asked if they require something to ease their pain.We can see their suffering and all we can do for the terminally ill is try and keep them as comfortable as possible by providing palliative care.
To do anymore is entering the realms of Harold Shipman,Beverley Allott,etc.
If patient cannot make that decision,then relatives will be called upon.
I once "nursed"a 97 year old man.He wanted "away",all his friends were gone,his wife was gone,he wanted to join them.
The family insisted that he be kept "alive!" Why??? Because where there's life,there's hope!
As I said,it's emotive subject...but no,never,never,never,would any doctor or nurse go against a patient or families wishes.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Thanks to all for the very kind words. We are a very small but supportive family with a wonderful circle of friends and excellent neighbours. The new baby helps soften the blow; we are so grateful Dad lived long enough to see his first grandchild, as he had been ill for 11 years.

We have been busy getting ready for the funeral, Thursday, but there are quiet times, like right now, when there is suddenly nothing to do, so we look for something to fill the seemingly endless void and to keep away our thoughts. Me, I check emails and such, my Mum does her crosswords, though not very successfully she says, unsurprisingly. Needs must.

CE, I don't think using initials is a problem with anyone (I do it all the time, as you see), just the cropping of names by strangers, which is more acceptable by friends and family. I have never had or read an objection to the former on here, and would hope someone would speak up if they don't like it. No offence would be taken. It is usually done as a time-saver. You probably don't mind "CE", but may not be fussed over "Choc", or similar. ;))
Carpe diem! :le:
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Winged Isis I never have a problem with name shortning at all really, because although the forum is set up to help people and give advice it can be used for more humorous things as well, and I cannot take myself too serious really, the majority of time I find this forum very informative and also get good advice. I did stop using it for a while because I was involved with a little project and wanted to keep it under the radar. I think you will have a good idea what it was when you arrive on the West Bank again.
Was sorry to hear about your father though and hope the healing starts for your family soon.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Scottish Tourist, I understand what you are saying very clear, but if someone is in a terminal period of their life, is it not best to help them into peace? It was the first time I had experienced such efective and excellent palletable care, but have since thought after telling the Doctor not to ressusitate, and the fact it was that very evening he put my mother on auto morphine feed that ass. suicide may have been the order of the day for my mothers own good. Anyway no matter what the Doctors and Nurses were fabulous and helped us that were left as well as helping my mother, and my respect for them is very high. I do wonder if the same palletable care would be available in Luxor though?
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Winged Isis - my condolences and my hope the arrangements run smoothly.

For the information of others in this post - recent court decisions in Australia permit the withdraw of all forms of support (including food and water) to terminal patients (usually in extremis). My father died this way but many years before it was legal. At that time we had the support of medical and nursing staff which placed them in legal jeopardy - thankfully the law is now clear.

Assisted suicide (which is often something quite different) gets a lot of public attention in Australia and as we are a practical people with a suspicious attitude to organized religion it's only a matter of time before legislation is passed.

The churches get themselves in a bit of a muddle on this. If life is a vale of tears and a preparation for eternity with God and if eternity is so glorious shouldn't death be yearned for and welcomed and maybe hurried a bit.

Arabic/Islamic/Egyptian attitudes in this area are (I think) much more conservative. The preservation of life extends to refusal to allow abortions. The question of hastening death let alone assisted suicide is definitely prohibited and probably not even discussed.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well Tony Scott didn't mess around today found out he had inoperable brain cancer and straight off Los Angeles Bridge, obviously a man who knew his own mind no messing...And he was from Tyneside......:cool:
Sophocles.