The Veteran 2O11

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

The Veteran 2O11

Post by Who2 »

Just watched the second half of this 'very British film, really well done on a low budget, I have a pal just like the main character, A--FU--d, nevertheless a very good film and brilliantly filmed by DOP Philipp Blaubach and Bob Craft's total involvement.
Quote: "The feel of the whole film is gritty and fast moving. The scene which overlooks Canary Wharf is a new one on me , it compares old and new London architecture in one scene. The film is fast moving and nothing is overdone but is all conducive to the final scene. A Great British Urban Piece along the same lines of Harry Brown which i think was filmed on the same estate but from watching the two you can appreciate the different views of each director. edit: mackenzie.
Anyhow! now I'm off to The Alhambra Cinema [next door] and gonna watch 'Notorious Alfred Hitchcock 1946 Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman..:cool:
'Reminder to self!..."Vanilla & Chocolate ice cream, hot chocolate yogurt sauce with sprinkled fresh roasted crushed nuts, for the interval. goddit! tara

tick!

tock!

tick!

21 minutes in, and he has kissed her, time for chocolate, It's Hitchcock's 42nth film and it shows his skill, Grant is James Bond.

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: The Veteran 2O11

Post by Who2 »

There is a lovely bit in this film where the butler asks Claud Rains for the key to the wine cellar.
Sitting in Claydons' back garden one summer's day [it being the size of a football pitch] with Mary, Lady Verney as she thrust a six pack of ale into my hand, told me a story after me, asking her the size of their wine cellar ?
"The wine cellar ? 'Ralph {Raife} has the only key, 'I visited it once, he gave me a map, for 2 half bottles of krug to deliver to him whilst in hospital. It was the only time I ever ventured there in 48 years of marriage.
Upon asking, he always replied he only, had as much wine as he needed.
His favorite trick was to ask your birthday, then pop down and return with Port and Champagne of the same year..So back to Cary & Ingrid..:cool:
ps: the chocolate interlude was yummy..
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Florence's Sister married into the Verney family is that not correct. ?
She remodelled the house in Buckingham too.

Verney Family Connections here in Wales, Anglesey. :sl:

Plas Rhoscolyn is owned by said family, though it seems these days its a luxury self catering home. I was there in the summer.. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Is that the Verney of the meat fame who discovered how easily it is not to pay UK tax's?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

The very family, plus they own Dewhursts the butchers, she the Lady Verney is from the Vesty family. They also own vast tracts of land in Africa for prawn fishing and an awful lot of Anglesey.
I only had to kill 4 family members, marry Franny and I would now be Lord Verney...:cool:
Sir George Feltham-Verney, presumed 4th Baronet, has a certain ring to it, methinks....
PS: 'not a lot of people know this but: his land and title was bestowed by Charles 1st or 2nd when he got his arm chopped off trying to protect Charles' banner, it's on the wall in the ballroom his severed arm and 1ft of flag-pole...
Sophocles.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Who2 wrote:The very family, plus they own Dewhursts the butchers, she the Lady Verney is from the Vesty family. They also own vast tracts of land in Africa for prawn fishing and an awful lot of Anglesey.
I only had to kill 4 family members, marry Franny and I would now be Lord Verney...:cool:
Sir George Feltham-Verney, presumed 4th Baronet, has a certain ring to it, methinks....
PS: 'not a lot of people know this but: his land and title was bestowed by Charles 1st or 2nd when he got his arm chopped off trying to protect Charles' banner, it's on the wall in the ballroom his severed arm and 1ft of flag-pole...
The Vestey family own Dewhursts according to Wiki and me (via a tenuous connection with polo ponies that I had in the past.) 8) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestey_Group
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Actually Dewhursts doesn't exist any more apparently and the above Wiki article is quite interesting. Make a pretty swashbuckling film. 8)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Kind hearts & coronets tbc....:cool:
Sophocles.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Verney? That was him "On the Buses" wasn't it? Reg Verney?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Mad Dilys are those the horses with holes in the middle?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Dusak wrote:Mad Dilys are those the horses with holes in the middle?
Yup, the removed centres are sold as Mint Imperials. 8)