Britain's Got Talent

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Britain's Got Talent

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I'm not addicted to this programme but I do drop in and out of it depending on what else I'm doing. This week it is, I think the semi finals, and although I did not see all the other acts I do despair of some of the acts - and the claim to talent - that have been put through!

One thing that has struck me is the number of people from other countries who do not live in the UK but have travelled here to take part in the auditions, regardless of whether the same or similar competition is run in their own country. Many, but by no means all, of the acts do have talent, but it does make me wonder how fair or right this is and how it can then be claimed that 'Britain's Got Talent'!

The other thing that has always disturbed me, and I believe this has been an issue in the press recently, is the number of youngsters taking part. I have always thought there should be a junior spin off, say age 15/16 and under. As for the animal acts...don't get me started!

If you've been watching the programmes, or avoiding them come to that, what are your thoughts on the subject?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Britain's Got Talent

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Well, Tuesday nights BGT was a mess, OK the one that got through deserved to, but the contest between the other two acts was deplorable, the young lady that sang Cry me a River should have sailed through, lets hope she gets through on the Wild Card.

I agree with some people though the show should be called Britains Got Child Talent, but then again the title might get picked upon by the "Do Gooders"

I prefer though The American Idol and the US version of The Voice, both very slick and proper classy shows.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Programs like these are one of the main reasons I left the UK. The main problem is, is that so many of these entrants believe every word their mothers tell them. ''Love, your going to knock the judges sideways with your rendition of Home on the Range'' and they see their success in these encouraging words as tears saturate the arenas floors. But out of a display of pure pity and hysterical laughter, not as mum guaranteed, tears of admiration and emotional response. They seem to think that if they gyrate their scrawny bods around in jerky circular motions, like a robot in need of an oil change, they will attain cult status without ever being heard of. Also they presume, incorrectly, that if they display bits of otherwise hidden patches of flesh that only their mothers see when they give them a bath after this hectic, energetic public display of wasted energy, they will immediately corner the viewing figure to the extent that the winning result is theirs. What do they do when they receive honest feedback from the judges that know the business inside out when they are first asked did they end up at the venue by mistake, or they would be better seeking a future career digging cable trenches down the M5? They stamp their spangled, bangles, sequined tap shoes in a tantrum a five year old would be proud of, uttering sporadic hiccups as they attempt to defend the garbage they have produced with intermittent tears of frustration and woe. But not to worry, the crestfallen candidate receives comfort from their promoting mothers, hearing those golden fix all words. ''Don't pay attention to those ignorant people, what do they know. Come on, we'll show 'em when you win that Welsh Urdd Eisteddfod thing with your punk rendition of Ar Ben Waun Tredegar [On Top Of Tredegar Moor]
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Perhaps a better title would be "Britain's got little talent". But at least it's cheap television, hour for hour, than drama.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

But its programs like this that keep me away from Karaoke, have always been afraid that some little twerp would stick a Mic down my throat and shout Sing!!!! I have a job writing a note let alone singing one...
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Mmmm.....pass me the mike. If you go into the Genesis bar in Karnak, this action [ramming] is part of the introduction to the mike. This goes down well if your proficient in the art of yodeling.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Feel that I just gotta post on this topic.
I've just watched tonights show and have never seen anything on a talent show so breathtakingly beautiful and exquisite as "Attraction"(the shadow act.)
I think they're from Hungary...but I for one felt totally priviledged to watch this stunning,original act.
That's the problem with the show at times though.Tonight's was good,there are about 5 acts I'd like to see in final from this one show.
Whereas,other nights the whole lot of them are basically rubbish!
Wish I knew and understood how the selection process works for deciding which entrants compete against each other on selected shows.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I agree with Scottishtourist's post. Tonight's show was the only semi final I've seen all the way through and have to agree, a very hard night to judge. I thought 'Attraction' were superb and could watch them over and over. I personally would have loved to see Alika go through to the finals as she has a beautiful voice and delivers her songs well.
I do think it's a shame though that other acts on tonight even managed to put through to the semi final - the 1980's guy being a good example - when other acts far better were ignored.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

We've had the final.
I think "Attraction" were worthy winners.Simply stunning and full marks for originality.
Nice to see something like this act winning,cos in my opinion there are always too many singers going through.
Also really liked the "weans"Pre Skool.What a lovely wee bunch of kids and their enthusiasm was wonderful.
They reminded me of my wee grandaughter and her friends,so maybe I'm just a soppy old sod!
Anyone else watch the show?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

It was nice to see high pants leave the stage with egg on his face.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Just getting away from BGT, did anyone watch the Voice this weekend, the acoustics were a disgrace, everyone sounded as though they were in a biscuit tin, in this day and age sound engineers should be better at their jobs.

Now BGT----

Agree Attraction was brilliant, and deserved winners, in the Semi, they did a complete life story in shadow, it was amazing!
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Just getting away from BGT, did anyone watch the Voice this weekend, the acoustics were a disgrace, everyone sounded as though they were in a biscuit tin, in this day and age sound engineers should be better at their jobs.

Now BGT----

Agree Attraction was brilliant, and deserved winners, in the Semi, they did a complete life story in shadow, it was amazing!

Attraction are also Hungarian - which makes a nonsense of ' BRITAIN's got talent' surely? :ni:
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

So, "Britains Not Got Talent" ok!!!!
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

A comment I made earlier! However, as Hungary is in the EU, the right of free passage across borders is theirs, and the ability to work is also theirs. Maybe the Eurovision song contest could spawn a series such as "Europe's got Talent"
Stan
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Or, hopefully, perhaps not. :stp
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Agree totally - where's that bloody nurse with my medication! - but, as in ancient Rome, give the people bread and circuses, and they will forget their miserable daily lives.
Stan
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Stan's 3rd agreement with Dusak... ;) You may need to reconsider that signature of yours Stan.. :br
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yes BM, but his still refuses to 'like' anyone. Could this be a possible reflection on a bad, long ago experience you think?
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

It's not people, it's posts that can be liked! And until I see a dislike button, I won't bother to click on it.
Stan
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Plenty of bread for the moment in Luxor L in L, never seen a circus though! So maybe there is not enough to keep our minds off our miserable lives :lol: :lol: