One for Bennu

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

One for Bennu

Post by Bombay »

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... airo-.aspx

Copenhagen's 'The Wall' installation to become 'Cairo Wall'

Paralleling this year's Images Festival, Copenhagen's award-wining multimedia installation, the WALL, will dedicate its space to presenting the history of Cairo, starting 30 August

Starting 30 August, Denmark's well-known outdoor multi-media installation - the WALL - will offer a journey through Cairo's history, customs and people.

Launched in 2010 by the Museum of Copenhagen, in association with Gibson International and Spild af Tid/Waste of Time, the WALL is a 12 metres long and 2 metres high outdoor multi-touch installation consisting of four plasma screens located at one side of the Queen Louise’s Bridge in Nørrebro's district of Copenhagen, Denmark.

Most of the time, this award-winning installation aims to bring the past, present and future to life through a collection of images of Denmark's capital. Viewers are able to travel through the large universe of images evoking the city and its history by touching the screen. They can also login to the interface and upload their own photos. As such, the audience is a participant and creator, telling its own stories about the city.

"In the first half year of operations, the WALL attracted more than 400,000 users who viewed more than 2,000,000 images, sent more than 60,000 personal postcards, and maybe most important, uploaded 2,500 new contributions of their own," the WALL's promotional material explains.

Paralleling this year's Images Festival, one of Scandinavia’s biggest arts and culture festivals held annually since early 1990s, the WALL will turn its focus to Egypt's capital, Cairo.

Called Sanduq El-Dunia, with the usage of interactive images, the new WALL instillation will look into a number of important historical moments and social elements characterising the city and Egypt at large. The pictorial universe will use modern technology to present Egyptians' 1919 resistance to British rule, the struggle for women's rights, the January 25 Revolution among dozens of other themes.

The project is the result of cooperation between the Danish-Egyptian Dialogue Institute (DEDI), the Museum of Copenhagen and a number of cultural institutions in Cairo.

The Sanduq El-Dunia installation will be presented in parallel to the Images Festival which will run between 30 August and 7 September, bringing together hundreds of artists from around the world and which will also include Egyptian graffiti artists.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: One for Bennu

Post by BENNU »

Bombay wrote: Denmark's well-known outdoor multi-media installation - the WALL - will offer a journey through Cairo's history, customs and people.

The Sanduq El-Dunia installation will be presented in parallel to the Images Festival which will run between 30 August and 7 September, bringing together hundreds of artists from around the world and which will also include Egyptian graffiti artists.
:up Thank you, Bombay! :gg:

The WALL is not far from where I live in Copenhagen, but I hardly know my own town anymore because I spend so little time here.

The Images Festival used to be huge and it changed my life in the early nineties. Not only did it open the door for me to the world of African and Middle Eastern arts and cultures - I also learned, to my surprise, that I was far from the only Scandinavian with a passion for African and Oriental art, music and dance, which would fill my everyday life for years.

I am hoping that this free open air installation that thousands of people pass on foot and bicycle every day, will be an eye opener to the fact that there is so much more to Egypt than what you see on the news!

:d1: