No shimmy in London

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

No shimmy in London

Post by BENNU »

Festivals that would normally attract hundreds of oriental dance enthusiasts from all over the world to Cairo are cancelled one by one and that is of course understandable. I have just enjoyed an intense weekend of folkloric and contemporary Egyptian dance with one of my favorite teachers, Aida Nour, in Copenhagen, where the gifted ladies are hungering for more inspiration from Cairo (I drive them crazy with my articles from Saidi Land and Cairo).

If Mohamed will not come to the mountain, the mountain comes to Mohamed, and the stars and legends of the Cairo stage now give more frequent workshops and performances in Asia, South America and in many parts of Europe. However, the popular Khaled Mahmoud has had to cancel his annual festival in his hometown London, where the highly respected singers and dancers are no longer welcome.
:(

Shimmy in the City 2013 is cancelled.

Dear friends. Khaled, Charlotte and Sheila are devastated and shocked to bring you the very sad news that almost all of our stars have been refused their work permits for Shimmy in the City, despite having valid certificates of sponsorship from us. All the paperwork was in order, but even so, they were refused at the last minute.

We can only imagine that it is because of the current crisis in the Middle East. We know there is a high level of alert at the moment in Egypt and of course Syria is in the middle of a civil war (Yasser is Syrian). The UK government has obviously decided that Egyptian, Syrian and Russian bellydancers represent a threat to the safety of the UK!

http://www.shimmyinthecity.com/

:ksd Here is the charismatic Tito Seif in very good company on a double decker bus in London, that must be difficult:

phpBB [video]

http://www.gildedserpent.com/cms/2012/0 ... z2ejEBl9Xq

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: No shimmy in London

Post by Dusak »

I just hope that your belly dancers are better that the ones I watched in the Genesis in the name of ''entertainment.'' An offense to the eyes. :stp
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I am obviously talking about an art form for which I have a passion. I know that there is limited interest in this on the forum, because I have tried to share some of my enthusiasm before.

I would really appreciate it if it was possible to mention dance on- and offline without having to have it dragged down to the level of whatever you see in bars and hotels in Luxor. It is like comparing ballet to prostitution.

When I first wrote about my meeting with the legends and pioneers of folkloric Egyptian dance theater, I was disrespected and told to stay out of the general debate on Luxor4u. I was ridiculed and called a little ballerina, no longer worthy of an opinion, when all I wanted was to share some insight.

There are countries where women are hardly allowed to dance, but the rich tradition of Middle Eastern and North African dance is respectfully developed and preserved all over the world. It is sad that the most estimed representatives cannot teach in UK these days. They will not be seen performing with a twenty string orchestra at Genesis.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Forget Shimmies, I think " twerking"s the way to go these days. And no one does it quite like Miley.

phpBB [video]
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I was not, for one moment decrying your enthusiasm towards your interest BENNU I was commenting on the tack we tourists are offered in such places...''and prostitution'' is a good analogy. I have once seen professional Turkish belly dancing as it should be viewed at a concert in Cheshire many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. So you dance on and enjoy.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

I know, Dusak, I am just so tired of the focus on cheap "entertainment" whenever Oriental dance is mentioned and of the art mainly being appreciated for what it is not!

While, like the rest of us, UK citizens "only" get a six month visa at a time, as we can read in another thread today, international Cairo based stars are not allowed to perform and teach in UK.

If you ever visit Copenhagen and hope to experience the national ballet with its proud Bournonville heritage, do not expect to find it in a sleazy local pub.
pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek »

Sorry for a newbie question, but I have to ask: does belly dancing have roots in the Middle East, or is it something that was imported for the benefit of the tourists? It would seem strange to me that belly dancing would be something that originated or is socially acceptable in Muslim countries. Or is belly dancing seen something of a vice, similar to a strip club would be in the West?

(Yes, I do have Google, but I would like an opinion from people who live in Egypt)
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My impression of belly dancing (and only my impression) is that it was developed in the Middle East for the sole enjoyment and entertainment of men who wished to be titillated via seeing a woman dance and the more suggestive movements she could make for them the better. This same woman probably had to be burqa clad out in the streets and never allowed to walk alone by herself but if she was performing for her Man, her Masta then she could dance on for his eyes only. Course she probably DID have to compete again all his other wives too - but - what the heck the best dancing wife :urm: would get his undivided attention.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Check out Raqs Sharki. http://www.raqssharqisociety.org/

We used to host their annual international conference at Winchester Uni. Some amazing performances and teachers from all over the world.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

There are many influences on the female dance, Ottoman, Andalusian, Persian, Indian, Kenyan etc and there are many, many styles and traditions. The dance is constantly developed and fashion changes. Knowledge of the folklore, rhytm amd roots is important even for a contemporary dancer, and some artists today are inspired by ballet and Hollywood.

I Morocco and Saudi Arabia women have danced while giving birth, some dances are based on fertility- and sacred dance, some affected by orientalism and the need to make a living. Behind each step and movement is a story, and every emosion can be expressed. Where people wander they bring their tradition and in the meeting with other women, new expressions and styles are born. In Luxor we have Saidi and in Assuan Nubian dance and rhythm. These and other styles are part of the repertoires of many troupes.

I could go on and on, but i do not know where religion, men or tourism come in.

I posted this when we had the old forum design and I meant to tell you much more, instead I made myself very unpopular:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23058
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Unless I'm reading another link from what I saw the only point of complaint was Stan the man saying that he couldn't read your first post blue on blue which I had no problem with but could not read the yellow one as it did me 'ed in. Otherwise it was all compliments.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Dusak wrote:Unless I'm reading another link from what I saw the only point of complaint was Stan the man saying that he couldn't read your first post blue on blue which I had no problem with but could not read the yellow one as it did me 'ed in. Otherwise it was all compliments.
:lol: It was readable with the old design. I am certain that I did not use yellow ink. :lol:
I am not even sure that it was the post I had in mind, because I cannot read the second one.