Dr Who?

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Dr Who?

Post by Scottishtourist »

Something to discuss on a lighter vein!

This week the BBC have been celebrating the 50th anniversary of the TV favourite "Dr Who."
Last night saw a much hyped up special episode,and other BBC channels dedicating a large part of their evening schedules to the history of the programme.
I watched them and quite enjoyed them.Have never been a "huge"fan or followed it religiously,but the nostalgia aspect appealed to me.
Who is/was your favourite "Dr?"
What one do you remember most?
What one did you "grow up"with?
Who were your most frightening foes?
How do you reckon the newest one will fare?Peter Capaldi,a Scot and a cracking actor.Looking forward to hearing the Scottish accent,even if I don't understand the storyline!Sci-fi was never my "forte!"
My own fave was Jon Pertwee (number3,I think.)Used to watch him on the telly as a child when I went to my granny's house every week.Villians that scared me most were the "Cybermen."Found them terrifying!The "autons"were a close second(those mannequin type creatures with concealed weapons)Always cast the shop dummies a suspicious look after that when I went shopping with granny!
What's your memories of "Dr Who?"

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Dr Who?

Post by Who2 »

Mine was the first, I picked him up from an old kent cottage Marden, just another OAP into Linton, awaiting to 'shuffle off their mortal coil.
Next to his bed in a low beamed old kent home was a picture of the Tardis and Dr Who, I looked again at the despatch note:
W.H. Hartnell into Linton Hospital.
I took my paramedic mates to visit him over the next few weeks saying & pointing "Who's that then ? 'his face always lit up.
Years later one of my clubs was initially called The Labyrinth I changed it to The Tardis, Who know's why ?
"funny old world eh?……..:cool:
"Happy Christmas, have a good one, I will!….. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I've watched it from day one, enjoyed them all. The only character that I absolutely hated was Frazer Hines playing Jamie. God what a numnut of an actor he was. Even worse in Emmerdale farm. But at least they succeeded were the Daleks failed, managed to kill him off. The Dalek and their twisted human mutant leader Davros, must be by far the best of the villains.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

John Pertwee was the one I remember stopped watching when Tom Baker took over wearing the stupid scarf. There were some large slugs which really freaked me out, how they possible caught anyone is pretty unbelievable but still hate slugs to this day. :O
It is what it is.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I've known John's son Sean, for quite a few years now he's done well following in his fathers footsteps. All down to a company called Natural Nylon…..:cool:
Sophocles.
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

I grew up with John Pertwee too but have to say that David Tennant has been the best of the Doctors...

I know friends who used to hide behind the sofa when the Daleks came on but those dodgy statues that move in the dark put the willies up me!
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I downloaded and watched the special - excellent. John Hurt was a particular good doctor.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Not a lot of people know this but: John Hurt once worked for SIS formally MI6….:cool:
Ps: He is also a great painter.
Sophocles.