Name that tune.

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Name that tune.

Post by Scottishtourist »

BM has posted a link to a song that his mother used to sing around the house.
That brings back memories for me.

My own mum used to sing constantly.God,she was terrible!!
She had a beautiful speaking voice,very soft,very gentle,almost lilting.Never harsh or aggressive,cusses never passed her lips.A "true"lady,a vivacious redhead.My dad always referred to her as beautiful...not gorgeous..but beautiful!But..her singing voice was atrocious!!!

She particularly liked Perry Como and would warble his songs(much to our amusement)whilst she peeled potatoes,washed dishes,etc.
Another favourite was John Denver's "Annies song."She murdered it too!!And any lyrics she didn't know were just covered up with "dee,dees."

I'm much the same,although I do like karaoke and will always participate.I sing constantly at work,much to the amusement of the patients and find myself singing the same songs that my mum did...cos I grew up listening to them.

What's your memories of music around the house from your parents era when you were growing up?

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Name that tune.

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Broadway show tunes - my mother played them on her LP records incessantly and hummed along. I never heard the entire score of any show all in one sitting as she'd stack 5 LP records and only play one side as they dropped then she'd flip the stack and play the other side. Only ever played stacks of 5 and never listened to a 1 full broadway show tune at any given sitting.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

A lot of classic music, Mozart, Bethoven, Chopin and my Favourite, Johan Sebastian Bach.
That was my old man's favourite music. RIP ( somehow I doubt that very much )

My mother and I appreciated the Classics too, and we both LOVED Holst, and Tchaikovsky as well as the aforementioned composers.

Mother was a fan of the Musicals, like West Side Story, and The Sound of Music, South Pacific.. et al...
Also, she was a huge Mario Lanza fan, so I would buy her those records for birthdays..
( I dont really do opera... All that screeching in Latin....) :ni:
She enjoyed some of the songs from the old Disney cartoons as well, so did I .
So, I grew up with that sort of music. Pop Music was frowned upon by my old man, and heavy rock music too,
He hated that music..

Songs stuck in my mind were..

Doe A Deer, Beat me that Rhythm on the drum, Maria, Edelweiss, Cock Eyed Optimist, There's a place for us.

Luckily for me, Mother was a very good singer, and she allowed me to play what I liked :up

A quick Classical favourite of Both me and my DD Mother..
I know you are all waiting for the track to get 3:03
phpBB [video]
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The music of Burt Backarack and Acker Bilk dominated our house, year after year after year. No wonder I went the heavy rock road.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Dusak wrote:The music of Burt Backarack and Acker Bilk dominated our house, year after year after year. No wonder I went the heavy rock road.

I feel your Pain, Dusak... :ct
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Like the dig here bit. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

If only.... :urm:
Its been known for a very long time, and those Pre History Greeks Certainly knew all about what the Ancient Greeks pretend not to know about..

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Another favourite of hers was Frank Sinatra...but not "My Way!!"
She adored "Strangers in the Night."And I personally think it was his best song too.Jeez,I'm word perfect in it!

Scottish songs also featured.The "Alexander Brothers",Tom and Alex were huge favourites.There's programmes on tonight on BBC1 Scotland about them that I'm looking forward to watching.

It was a very eclectic household music wise.My dad with his Lithuanian background enjoyed the more rousing "Russian"type marching music.He still has old gramophone(in his cupboard under the stairs)complete with "78s",needles,et al.
I think it originally belonged to his brother Uncle Jausas(Joe).This uncle was a cobbler to trade,his workshop was a shed in the back garden.He "made"shoes as well as repairing them,all hand stitched with tarred threads.He had polio as a child,wore calipers and never married.A real character,very respected.

Anyway,I digress...but your post has certainly brought back some very happy memories BM.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

I never heard my mother sing :o and suspect it's because I have inherited her vocals :D she loved country and western, musicals, Dr Hook and usually because they sang a sadder tune than what she felt, so it cheered her up :tk

My daughters all sing and have all been in the choir, me well my house, car, bath and I will sing as loud AS I BLOODY LIKE and do :lol: :lol:
It is what it is.
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

I sing like a deaf tom cat having his Knackers chopped off......................but it does'nt stop me, No sir not one bit!
We have this little "thing" going at work that we all take a part in. One little word can set me off, and then that sets every one off, it is a very obscure and thought prevoking game. Some says something in a conversation ...like "oh you remember that Billy?" and I sing "Billy don't be a hero"! Or I hear someone says to a patient in the waiting room "come this way Dear" and I sing "Doh a deer" A sonographer says to a student " I scan this way" and off someone goes with "My Way"! Even an IT staff saying that he has installed a new Wizard on PC sets me off with "We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful wizard of OZ!" It goes on all day and every day with new and wonderful, oft forgotten tunes coming from corners of people musical memories!
I know! very jeuvenile....but it makes for a pleasant day in what can be a sombering atmosphere! We often have the patients in bed waiting for scans joining in!
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Oh and memories of childhood tunes, "My girl lollipop" Doris Day, "the deadwood stage" My dad was always singing "Donald, where's yer Trewsers"!!! and my mum and her sister singing "Down town" (Badly!)
I remember Vaguely, that at my Dads Famous Hogmany (??) parties that some of the Scottish songs were very "Bawdy" and I was sent packing to my bed and my dad got a clip round the ear hole from my Mum!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

"The biggest aspidistra in the world" was always on Gran's lips.......