Love the sound of vinyl ?

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Love the sound of vinyl ?

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I do, the faint crackles builds a momentary suspense just before the music kicks in, whatever that music may be.
Analogue sounds different somehow, and to me better, but then with modern digital formats, the sound is sharper and clearer, but maybe a little too "sterile" ?
This is a song I love, the Vinyl version. I asked one of my kids when they were little what the vocal effects sounded like near the end of the song, I was quite impressed with the answer.. :up

Oh, and on this track, you hear the crackle fade out, a slight scratch, and the sound of the automatic turntable.. Remember those ?

Stepping Out... :cg

phpBB [video]

There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Lisak
Palestine

Re: Love the sound of vinyl ?

Post by Lisak »

I thought of you yesterday when they announced on radio 2 that Jeff Lynne was headlining the festival in a day for Radio2 at Hyde Park in September. I hope you have tickets Bullet Magnet.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Lisak wrote:I thought of you yesterday when they announced on radio 2 that Jeff Lynne was headlining the festival in a day for Radio2 at Hyde Park in September. I hope you have tickets Bullet Magnet.
Thank's :up So I read your comment, immediately opened a new tab on my browser, and looked up the Festival, and duly noted that the prices were quoted in Past Tense.. :sl: ..when going to the booking site, sure enough.. SOLD OUT.

Hakuna Matata ... It's a Swahili phrase... "no worries" . . . Life Eh... ? :cg
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Vinyl? I prefer linoleum. ;-)
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Here is a phrase for Linoleum I bet you remember Brian.. "Oil Cloth" :up
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Good for tables but useless for pressing music, now what did they call that stuff they used to put on walls where there were stairs, heavy and thick very much like a mixture of cardboard, vinyl, and steel, used to be a pig of a job to get off and you would virtually destroy your plasterwork trying. Its trade name was something like Lindcrusta!
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Everything you wanted to know about lincrusta, including it's history and applications... :up

Lincrusta was launched in 1877 to instant success in a host of applications from royal homes to railway carriages. Heralded as the first washable wallcovering,
it appealed to Victorians because of its sanitary properties as well as its durability and ornate effects.

A British invention, it was the brainchild of manufacturer Frederick Walton whose father pioneered linoleum floor covering in the 1860´s. Originally launched as "Linoleum Muralis", it was subsequently re-named "Lincrusta-Walton" − Lin for Linum (flax, from which linseed oil is made) and Crusta (Relief), with the inventor´s name being added to prevent other firms using the same title.

Loads more here........

http://www.lincrusta.com/TheHistoryofLincrusta.Asp

Your best wallcoverings was a Lime mix whitewash, it was antispectic so insects did not burrow into the walls to nest, plus it was white so reflected the light much better.
I lived in a couple of really old cottages in my time, with low windows and whitewashed walls. The whitewash was a watered down version of limestone mortar, which can actually be dug out of the walls and reconstituted in water and used again.. We had some lime kilns scattered about the fields in the Dales when I was a kid. I find it surprising that we don't have them in rural Wales, since Wales has the same Geology and scenery..... And sheeps.... :cg
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Good for tables but useless for pressing music, now what did they call that stuff they used to put on walls where there were stairs, heavy and thick very much like a mixture of cardboard, vinyl, and steel, used to be a pig of a job to get off and you would virtually destroy your plasterwork trying. Its trade name was something like Lindcrusta!
Makes woodchip sound innocuous!
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

We used to call whitewashed walls, "York Street" plastering. it was cheaper and quicker than plaster, normally seen in the old mining communities.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Bullet Magnet wrote:Here is a phrase for Linoleum I bet you remember Brian.. "Oil Cloth" :up
Linoleum..been years since I heard of it!
Does anyone remember when there was no such thing as "fitted"carpets.
There would be a huge rug in the middle of the floor..and linoleum round the borders of the room.

Billy Connolly immortalised it in a well-known joke(maybe just Scottish humour.)
For years one of the most famous linoleum factories was located in Kirkcaldy (the Kingdom of Fife.)
As the day-trippers trains approached the station their nostrils were assaulted by the pungent aroma of production in full swing.
So bad was it that the visitors would always pass comment on it.
For years Billy never knew the actual name of the place(Kirkcaldy.)

He thought it was called "whit's that f***in smell!"
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

My kids used to have woodchip in their bedrooms, they spent ages picking the wood bits out till the walls were spotted white.
Lisak
Palestine

Post by Lisak »

Bullet Magnet wrote:
Lisak wrote:I thought of you yesterday when they announced on radio 2 that Jeff Lynne was headlining the festival in a day for Radio2 at Hyde Park in September. I hope you have tickets Bullet Magnet.
Thank's :up So I read your comment, immediately opened a new tab on my browser, and looked up the Festival, and duly noted that the prices were quoted in Past Tense.. :sl: ..when going to the booking site, sure enough.. SOLD OUT.

Hakuna Matata ... It's a Swahili phrase... "no worries" . . . Life Eh... ? :cg
Ah shame!
Obviously wasn't meant to be...well for now anyway.
Keep looking around, there may be returns!
Good luck. :)
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.