Sir Ian McKellen on "Hardtalk"

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Sir Ian McKellen on "Hardtalk"

Post by newcastle »

One of my favourite programmes to watch on the limited TV available in Egypt is BBC's "Hardtalk".....at least when Stephen Sackur's in the seat. He's streets ahead of some of the other presenters.

BBC World News’ legendary interview show HARDtalk will be marking 20 years of asking the questions that matter with a raft of dedicated content, it was announced today.

The cornerstone of a week of programming will be a special edition of the half hour programme, as presenter Stephen Sackur interviews legendary actor Sir Ian McKellen, in front of an audience in the BBC’s historic Radio Theatre in London (recording Monday April 3rd for broadcast on Tuesday 4th April).

This programme is being repeated at 16.30 and 21.30 (Egypt time) today.

Sir Ian McKellen is one of my favourite actors of all time with an output too numerous to mention. If I had to name a favourite it might be the 'modernised' film version of Richard III. He was also, of course, unforgettable as Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Sir Ian McKellen on "Hardtalk"

Post by Zooropa »

I love Hardtalk but find Sackur and and the lady that im guessing is of African origin extremely irritating.

Of course some of that may be down to their's and the channels political bias.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Sir Ian McKellen on "Hardtalk"

Post by Hafiz »

Sackur is the most insistent and forensic interviewer I know of. He has none of the usual BBC circumlocutory airs and graces and keeps his own ego out it. I’d love to hear him with some dignitaries from the region. Not sure UK diplomatic relations would survive.

If you are forensic then not everything is smooth – so I understand that some find him a bit irritating. The good thing is that unlike some, Parkinson for example, he doesn’t want to be liked by his interviewees.

He went a bit soft on McKellen. Actors do that to you, and in this case produced a lighter touch from Sackur than when he interviews a war criminal/international statesman. :roll:

Saw Mc Kellan as Richard at the National in 1990. He seemed 6’4” on stage. Electrifying. So lucky and I bought the seat on spec. at very last moment as bells were ringing from a couple whose friend didn’t turn up. Front row, dead centre, circle. The film, by comparison, lacked the menace and darkness of the stage production.

I thought I would refresh my memory and low and behold the same Richard III with McKellan appeared at the Cairo Opera House in December 1990. Probably the last time anything so incendiary was performed in the country. Nowadays its only fourth raters from third world countries and locals who can’t get an exit visa. http://www.mckellen.com/stage/richard90/index.htm

Can’t find any review of it at the time in al Ahram. Maybe it wasn’t well received as a portrait of corrupt power and meglomania. Wonder why? :roll:

Sackur 'worked over' the Egyptian Coptic Church in a recent interview. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39669099. It wasn't pretty but it was an attempt to get behind their victim myth. I have a small understanding of their problem but think that how they have dealt with it has been self-defeating. But another story.

I never knew he was on TV, I have only heard him on BBC radio pod casts. Watching his skewered interviewees must be a real, but morally dubious, pleasure.