Saturday Night in Copenhagen

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Saturday Night in Copenhagen

Post by BENNU »

:a47: :vc: I fought my way through the cold rain tonight, missing Egypt, and back through the snow, missing Morocco. I have danced all night, hypnotised by The Master Musicians of Jajouka led by Bachir Attar, Sufi trance music from the southern Rif Mountains in northern Morocco.

There were many similarities to the Saidi tradition with its mizmar, oud, balady drum, outfits and to my surprise, dance steps. It was a venue where I have performed many times and my group used to rehearse several times a week, yeeeeaarrzzz ago, so it was like coming home, in more ways than one. It felt good, but going from a sweaty dance floor to the snowy streets of Copenhagen, I was reminded of why I spend so little time here.
:a55:
:ct
I know that there is limited interest in North African music on this forum, but some of you may like this:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

From the Danish program:

In English
The Master Musicians of Jajouka became a counter-cultural icon whit the release of ‘Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka’, where the founder of The Rolling Stones recorded the orchestras performance in their tiny Moroccan village.
Tradition says that Jajouka’s music was a gift from Sidi Achmed Sheik, one of the first Islamic missionaries to visit the village and a revered saint whose tomb provides Baraka – healing spiritual power – to the villagers. This syncretic music may also be a survival of the worship of Pan and Astarte, and the rites of the ancient Roman Lupercalia. Led by Bachir Attar, The Master Musicians of Jajouka continue to bring this ancient tradition into the 21st century. They’ve played all over the world and become the most recorded act in the Islamic world.

:a31:

phpBB [video]

:a25:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: Saturday Night in Copenhagen

Post by BENNU »

I was of course too close to the stage to be in this video from a rainy, snowy night in my city:

phpBB [video]