We’ve All Been Trumped - in Scotland.

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

We’ve All Been Trumped - in Scotland.

Post by Hafiz »

We’ve All Been Trumped.

A Scottish doco from 2011 abut the opposition of the simple people of Aberdeen Shire to Trump’s proposed ocean view new golf course and residential/hotel development for rich and famous US golfers – maybe just the rich and sleazy or the rich and fatuous. The locals lost.

Low tech, slow, 1 ¾ hours, funny, dark, implacably opposed to Trump, shows his 1 meter hair strand bring unfurled in the wind, clear about Salmond’s supplicating support for him, the use of strong arm tactics by his private security force – and lots more. It wanders a lot and the accents need subtitles because their version of English is occasionally unintelligible.

Trump's public media attacks on the locals were viscous and out of control - things we now know are his very essence.

There is a compelling case that the council, maybe, and police, definitely, were not doing their job in the interests of the community – or maybe even the law. Anyone who thinks he is a decent man will find little/nothing in this to support their view.

Its as much a story about how the poor and powerless will always loose if someone rich wants what they have and probably parallels what happens in Egypt where community interests are sacrificed to property/tourist developers or where thousands are evicted from Nile-side land and other land because they couldn’t navigate the labyrinth of the land registration morass in Egypt. Even where they have it doesn’t matter.

Very positively reviewd and has won awards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ve_Been_Trumped

The Telegraph was more guarded and gave the review job to someone who doesn’t do reviews, just hard right wing opinion pieces. Not unexpectedly he found the film too ideological – just not his ideology. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tva ... eview.html

The LA Times looks to the public interest, something the Telegraph cares little for, and comments that the Scot police appear to be acting improperly in favor of Trump. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/16 ... d-20120817

The director made a follow up doco and Trump threatened to sue him for it and sue any journalists who covered it in reviews in newspapers. The Telegraph would probably advocate a Sisi – 10 years jail for ‘spreading false news’ – 15 years for Guardian journalists. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nald-trump

Variety thinks its sequel goes too far and is unbalanced. https://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/y ... 201903550/

Its free.

Boris Johnson’s view on the virtues of Trump are well known and identical to those of Boris’s ‘owner’, The Sun King, who has been in this country for 10 days writing headlines and giving direction – on the removal of our PM, a man he targeted a long time ago. https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nationa ... e-malcolm/ written by a very distinguished journalist and former editor of major quality newspapers.

That this Scottish community got no support from their MP, civil rights organization, any major conservation society or the legal profession I find odd. The poverty/basic living standards of the locals was a surprise.

Sdo
Egypt

Re: We’ve All Been Trumped - in Scotland.

Post by Sdo »

'The poverty/basic living standards of the locals was a surprise.' Where are the statistics published to confirm this? Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire are among of the wealthiest regions in Scotland, if not the UK. Revenue from oil, oil related industries, inward investment, tourism, whisky production and rich farmlands are but a few of the reasons why " The poverty/basic living standards of the locals" is very far from the truth.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: We’ve All Been Trumped - in Scotland.

Post by Hafiz »

The doco was about a 500 acre development and 3-4 farms-houses that abutted it and a little bit about an adjacent small, ex salmon fishing village. There were irrelevant and short scenes set in Glasgow of maybe 4 minutes and videos of Trump in NYC. That is all there was. There was nothing about the broader region.

Simple answer. In the doco the housing conditions of all but one house were 'basic'. Water was drawn for house use from a spring. Agricultural sheds for a farm that claimed to be operational were in very poor shape. The adjoining town appeared to have few shops and to look less than prosperous. One person interviewed extensively was a charming aged woman who lived in what appeared to be an upgraded version of a tin demount-able/mobile home. Fences on the farms were in very poor condition. Employment in this very particular area was unclear and not visible.

There is more but you will only know that if you watch the doco - which is about them in particular not the broader conditions of that region.

I made no comment about the region and I don't know why you think I did.

My point which seems not to have been read or noticed is that the fight was between the super-rich and the definitely not. The not were not well organized or even if they could have been would likely have got limited support from the government, local government, police or powerful NGO's interested in the unique natural environment that Trump was determined to not just develop but to destroy. At no stage did I state,imply or mean that their case should have been affected by their economic standing vis a vis Trump. Quite the contrary.