Sir John Soane's Museum.

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Sir John Soane's Museum.

Post by Who2 »

My mate Salima was chatting on about having recently found: " We have found what might be fragments of its lid in Tomb 10 in the Valley of the Kings, which is downhill from Seti's tomb. Robbers (or someone) smashed the lid at some point, and pieces washed into KV10. We think that we might have a tiny piece of the face.

Came across this forthcoming London Live programme.
The Museum is just around the corner from here across Fleet St..
So, I sent her a picture of Nick and said Setis' sarcophagus, they are mates..
Hope you can get London Live..
and try to visit the museum sometime, in the not to distant future.. 8)

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/m-detail/3638 ... -the-soane

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Sir John Soane's Museum.

Post by Who2 »

Her Reply:..

Salima Ikram
Distinguished University Professor,
American University in Cairo
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

When I read Salima’s suggestion that the lid fragments might have washed into KV10 my immediate reaction was....you’re having a laugh!

Think about it....sarcophagus (actually it’s a coffin) lid fragments 300 metres deep in KV17 somehow get washed into, albeit adjacent, KV 10. Pretty unlikely if you ask me.

Some human agency involved methinks.

I had planned a visit to the Sir John Soane Museum on one of their candlelit evenings. Looks like that’s gone for a Burton.

https://www.soane.org/your-visit/soane-lates
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Many thanks for your heads-up on this program my dear Dr, though as a result of having a wonderful day out with a dear old lady who is almost 90 years old, we got totally smashed in her beautiful garden, missed almost half of the program.

A little disappointed that so far the series has said nothing of the old man himself, which in itself is a truly fantastic story, almost as fabulous as an old friend who runs the fabulous Southside House in S.W.19, but will write no more for now. I don't wish to give to many KEYWORDS for the usual suspect on here who relies on them to comment.

I will write more about Soane, his family and the immediate area near this house in the next couple of days.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:37 pm
Many thanks for your heads-up on this program my dear Dr, though as a result of having a wonderful day out with a dear old lady who is almost 90 years old, we got totally smashed in her beautiful garden, missed almost half of the program. The dear lady in question is contributing to the NHS by knitting face masks and gloves. She’s so far finished 3 pairs of each. I will be organising a petition to award her a Damehood . We’re considering a duet rendition of some Vera Lynn classic as further fundraising.

A little disappointed that the TV programme you mention has said nothing of the old man himself, which in itself is a truly fantastic story, almost as fabulous as an old friend who runs the fabulous Southside House in S.W.19, but will write no more for now. I don't wish to give to many KEYWORDS for the usual suspect on here who relies on them to comment.

I will write more about Soane, his family and the immediate area near this house in the next couple of days. Come to think about it, I wrote on it extensively a while back but I’m sure my regular readers will not mind my refreshing their knowledge. Something to keep the old grey cells active.

Which reminds me. It must be rather dreadful for old age, chain smoking spinsters, living on a small, ever decreasing pension, who are cooked-up in a small garden-less flat. This must be rather awful when in Egypt, these such places must be like sweat-boxes.

As regards Coronavirus, I am a little surprised that we have no reason why or how this virus started, anyone who visits either Shangai or Beijing will really only visit the modern or classic sites of these great cities, a few visit Xian but again to visit classic ancient sites, but no one ever really visits the ordinary street markets, and I do mean live animals of various description, that are slaughtered on site. Remember Chinese people like their food fresh. I have been to every country in the world so speak from vast knowledge and experience.

Having visited China a number of times now, I know Wuhan reasonably well, once you really move into the interior of China you easily come across poverty, yes most main cities have excellent airports and rail stations.

I find it very difficult to believe what is happening TODAY in luxor from the usual suspects on this site, when I read what Keefy writes up on this major subject. The Dr I feel sure would give us a guarded insight if he was back home on the West Bank.

I am more than grateful to MT, who informs us from his Mediterranean island retreat, as to the happenings in his 'own back yard', up there in Ramla, which certainly reflects the true life of what is happening in other parts of Upper Egypt today. It shows that the average Upper Egyptian mentality is to imagine this thing will simply go away,...it certainly will not.

Why is it that the usual ex-pat subjects on the site seem to think that everything is rosie in Luxor, do each of them have a business there, and afraid to frighten future clients or what ?

I’m not at all surprised by Dusak’s news that access to your bank accounts is being restricted. I wrote the above one week ago, and already the Central Bank of Egypt have just announced there will be limits of the amount of liquid cash that can be withdrawn or for that matter deposited.

Warning - try to obtain as much cash as possible, should you in your own opinion believe that this pandemic may last longer in Egypt than here in the West, then you should try to gain access to either € or $, avoid £, as this will fall probably by a further 10% in the short term. Remember....you heard it from me first.

I will return to this and other topics when I’m less busy.

It’s really wonderful to hear from the old school, such as myself, rather than the Johnny come latelies. As I said, I’m very busy at the moment, but will write a little information for you by the end of the week-end.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

No wonder I never read his posts.