Ovens

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Geraldine

Ovens

Post by Geraldine »

Even though I have stayed in a flat a couple of times in Luxor, I never felt like to cook anything. Well, in Cairo I had a bottle of spiced wine (a traditional thing in Finnish Christmas) I thought I could heat up and serve it to my guests. Yaiks - just then I noticed I was this old looking gas oven in the kitchen! I couldn’t use it because I thought I would blow up the whole kitchen :lol:

I was thinking is that very common in Egypt? Yes, I know it must be in places like Luxor because it’s more convenient. If you use electric oven, what happens when electricity is cut maybe for hours :mrgreen: But do any people use electric oven in Cairo? Do I sound stupid if I ask my landlord if he has any flat with electric oven :roll: I know he has few more flats also. This one was cheap but dirty and with ancient equipment.

I know my mom is old enough to know how to use gas oven, if we want to make some tea :mrgreen: But my guess is baking anything in gas oven is not that easy :!:

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Absolutely right Geraldine! We have a typical gas cooker with oven. It looks quite modern. The hob burners are fine but the oven does not have a thermostat in the same way as European ovens. You cannot set a temperature like 200deg C for example. We have only cooked baked potatoes in it so far and you have to keep turning the control up and down to control the burning smell :roll: The potatoes are very tasty but the skins are rather crisp ;)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

Eyh, Geraldine?? Someone's planning a trip to Egypt??

I love cooking on gas. I work with food and are used to both and really prefer gas.
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

It's all trial and error with the gas ovens here. After 5yrs of using it here I think I've mastered it.The only thing is,you have no way of knowing when your gas bottle is going to run out as there is no indicator to let you know. Cooked a nice chicken ,roast potatoes and stuffing yesterday. LOVELY.:P:P:P
Maggy the Moggy
Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Countessa »

Maggy - look out for the flame on the burners turning slightly 'orangey'....that usually happens a day or so before the gas dies :D :)

I think the main reason electric ovens are practically unheard of in Egypt is because the wiring systems of most flats couldn't accommodate them plus, compared to gas, they are very expensive. Like you Geraldine, I used to be terrified of using a gas cooker, but little by little I overcame my apprehensions and now there's no stopping me!!! :lol:
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Thanks Countessa, I will keep my eyes open. You're right about the electrics, you're diceing with death just plugging an iron in.:lol::lol:
Maggy the Moggy
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Geraldine I think a combination microwave/oven/grill is definitely going to be one of my first purchases in October, I have 1 in the UK rather than a conventional oven and have seen them in the Governemt Shop :)
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

Miriamkhalifa wrote:Eyh, Geraldine?? Someone's planning a trip to Egypt??
I've been asked so many times to cook there (because have told them I love to cook) but OMG what will be the result if I can't even use gas oven!!! :oops: They will think I think too much of my cooking skills :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]I agree with MiriamK that cooking with gas is far better than electric. It's much more controlable and I find cakes baked in a gas oven are far superior to those baked in an electric oven. I do appreciate however, that using bottled gas may be a little different. It's like everything really - trial and error until you find what works for you. Even if you are used to gas and then used a different one it would take a bit of adjusting ot.

I have, or should I say had, a combi oven (microwave/convection) but alas it is so old now and only the microwave works, but it was far superiour to the electric oven provided in my flat and an ideal size for one/two person cooking rather than having to heat up a whole oven :)

Geraldine - re your mulled wine. I often use my slow cooker for this as it lets the wonderful aromas out without losing any of the liquid in evaporation. :) [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Our electric slow cooker is on the list of items to bring out in July :)
Looked at pressure cookers the other day and they are more expensive here than in the UK :oo
Strangely or not, the bottle gas seems more controllable on the hob burners the the natural gas in the UK :roll:
Regarding the gas oven, I think a good oven thermometer and a lot of experimentation is called for :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

Maggy wrote:It's all trial and error with the gas ovens here. After 5yrs of using it here I think I've mastered it.
:doh: FIVE years! Maggy, I've got only two weeks time in Egypt :lol: :lol:
Oh well, maybe I just skip the cooking part.

Thanks for all info though!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

For just two weeks Geraldine I certainly wouldn't bother.:)
Maggy the Moggy
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

For just two weeks Geraldine I certainly wouldn't bother.:)
Maggy the Moggy
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

OOPS, sorry for repeating myself.:oops:
Maggy the Moggy
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Was that you or your cooking that caused you to repeat Maggy ;) :lol:

Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Probably the stuffing I had with the chicken,yesterday.:lol::lol::lol:
Maggy the Moggy