Enough kinds of veggies in Luxor?

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Enough kinds of veggies in Luxor?

Post by Mad Dilys »

Since I am virtually a vegetarian I dispair of the lack of variety in the greengrocers in Luxor.
I'm trying to source vegetable seeds here in Egypt. Sweetcorn in particular. I have no idea why it's so difficult to get hold of as it grows well here all the year round and is very versatile in the kitchen. Far too expensive to buy the seed in the UK for a family the size of mine but seeds in general are very mcuh cheaper here in Egypt even the Dutch imports.
I went to the agricultural and horticultural bash at the Nile Palace last week and there were a lot of seedsmen who seemed to only be interested in the standard tomato, aubergine, onion etc that we see in the shops but nothing I crave.
What would you chaps like to see in the shops - I'll see if it's possible to grow it and pass the info on. :)

Smile! It confuses people
drwho

Post by drwho »

Horseradish, oh and do you know if there is a crab-apple type fruit in Egypt and any idea of the types of apples available in Egypt, just asking ? ....hope you are well, need anything?....8)
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

All the maize grown in Luxor seems to be of the animal feed variety :(

How about asparagus? we are having some wonderful fresh Norfolk asparagus here at the moement.

The problem with the European varieties is that they seem to struggle in the Egyptian climate....just too extreme for them.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Jane Akshar

Post by Jane Akshar »

Parsnips, swede, turnip I would have thought if carrots do ok these would to

I guess mushrooms are out of the question :cc
Jane Akshar - mad about egyptology -sane otherwise ....... I think
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Problem I always found trying to grow anything in Egypt was that there is a short season and the heat was too intense especially the summer months and even in the shade with frequent watering many plants withered, so many veggies and other plants do not do well and like cooler damper conditions, after all it is the rain that causes many of our plants and flowers to thrive - like the english rose and apples and other soft fruits that need the rain to swell and ripen. Sadly watering is not the same - unless of course you use rainwater but that is in short supply! Even here this year we have had very little rain and everything is so dry it wont do any of the plants good :(
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Dr Who I wouldn't advise anyone to plant horseradish as it can completely take over your garden.
When I was young my father was posted to a house with a garden full of the stuff. :cry: He made gallons of horseradish sauce for the whole village, but after 4 years it was still cropping up everywhere.
Haven't come across a crab apple yet, but it could be grafted onto an existing apple if you could bring some nice fresh twigs from a John Downy owned by a friend in the UK in the winter. :) John downy makes the best crab apple jelly in my experience, lovely rosy colour and delicious. I'll keep my eys open though.

BBLUX all the maize grown locally IS animal feed. I have been asking seed companies for sweetcorn, which is known as Dorra Saccarea in the seed trade apparently. They know what it is but seem bemused by the idea of anyone wanting to grow a significant amount. (Coz we'll share the seed of course. :D )
Asparagus Mmmmmmm. Worth a try, but in the UK it takes three years to establish a bed - it's a blighter to keep the ground clear of weeds because it has to be hand weeded, needs heavy mulches of FYM or weedfree compost and then ................. After you take the spears the top growth is very ferny and exhuberant (making weeding difficult) I think the low humidity would dessicate the ferny top growth. It's expensive because of the labour involved in growing it in the UK. A quarter acre belonging to a neighbour in the UK supported his family! It was also his full-time job.

Jane I've seen parsnips here, very thin, thinner than a carrot. I want to try some though. Turnips are grown here, small ones about the size of a golf ball. The tops and roots are eaten raw. Not very popular it seems. Swede I haven't seen, Celeriac yes, but not often. Beetroot isn't eaten here! It's used as a garnish only. I buy lots of it though it's quite expensive as it is so good for you. It shoud be available all year, but I've only seen it in the spring. I will definitely be growing beetroot in both colours - the yellow is my favourite. I'm sure I will have to bring the yellow seed from the UK.
Mushrooms need a steady temperature and humidity, that's why they grow them in old railway tunnels. They don't need dark, when my kids were young they grew mushrooms in a bucket in the kitchen. The wild ones in our fields came at the end of the summer for a few weeks, Giant Puffballs we had all summer.

Jewel, I couldn't agree with you more. Egyptians love roses even the ones that struggle with their climate, but are totally amazed if they see a rose in full bloom in the UK.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

I also love beetroot. However, I have had very mixed results with the ones purchased. Some turn out really woody and inedible while others have been fine.
Having consumed 1 Kg of Norfolk asparagus this week I think we have sated our desire for a little while.
Anyone know of an old, cool, moist tomb we could use for mushroom growing?.....no not one of those on the Nobles which had been used as a latrine please :(

What is that vegetable that looks like a giant radish (grapefruit sized)?
I have also seen a small green fruit which I thought could have been a crab apple....the guy on the corner of Medina street has them.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

We get Asparagus up here almost year round, quite tasty! So it must do well over here.

Parsnips???!!! Really??? Are you sure it was a parsnip and not that odd thing called a figl (which I've forgotten what that is in english again!) A lot of places up here put beetroot as a salad, and I'm not talking fancy shmancy restaurants here - but the fuul and felafel shop. They make it a bit hotter than I'dlike though.

One thing that I would like to see more of, and only saw the first one last year - but two people sized butternut squashes instead of those monster ones that would feed a small tribe. Other unusual stuff I've seen here: Purple carrots, yellow zucchini, yellow cherry toms.

At the moment I'm indulging in 2 kilos of cherries (yup! 2!!!) shame they're a bit pricey.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think that the thing which looks like a huge radish might well be just that! Need to see the one that you have seen to be sure.
The crab apple type thing is probably a Nubuk. Very strange, not sure if I like them or not. There are two kinds I've come across - one round like a cherry and usually greenish yellow - Nubuk baladi in my experience and the other much more like a crab apple and sometimes with a rosy flush - Nubuk Omani. I bought 5 trees reputedly of the latter which turned out to be the former and a great attraction for maggot flies. :evil: They are thorned and get big very quickly, so I scrapped them all this year and very glad I didn't actually have to cut them down and dispose of them myself. They have a stone like a cherry, but do look like a crab apple.

Oh the joys of living in Alex! Just as we get a certain amount of imported produce here, you guys get MUCH more variety. :mrgreen: I used to grow cherries in the UK, but have never seen them in Luxor though I have seen them in Cairo.
I'm sure that the parsnips were parsnips, tasted like parsnips and they had the sort of sunken ring around the base of the leaves which always fills with dirt - my figl taste like radish and the leaves just grow out of the centre of the root. ;)

Funnily enough the first small butternut squash that I bought a few years ago was in Cardiff and it had been imported from Egypt! The same shop had boxes labeled Runner Beans - Country of origin Egypt and I've been looking for them here ever since without success. :cry:

A chap who had 120 acres of reclaimed desert outside Cairo and thought I would like to buy it, had an extrordinary range of veggies grown from seed supplied by Thomson and Morgan of Ipswich in the UK. My pocket money was a bit short that week so I didn't buy the farm, even though it was an organic one. :lol:
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

:lol: So that's where all the weeny butternut squashes end up then! Who'd have thought it!
If you spot a parsnip again MD - buy millions of the blighters! I'll be paying more attention in the veggie aisle frm now on.

Got no idea where my imported cherries are from - but they're very morish which is a shame at 18 le a kilo. :cry:
sue
United Kingdom

Post by sue »

Was the large radish you have seen white, if so it may have been a Mooli. We have grown them here in England, they actually get quite large without getting woody and stay very tasty.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

They certainly look like Mooli to me. :) When they are young people serve them here complete with the tops and eat the lot! :)
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Mad Dilys wrote:Haven't come across a crab apple yet, but it could be grafted onto an existing apple if you could bring some nice fresh twigs from a John Downy owned by a friend in the UK in the winter. :) John downy makes the best crab apple jelly in my experience, lovely rosy colour and delicious. I'll keep my eys open though.
oooooo LOVE crab apple jelly. Can't buy it here, unfortunately, but my mother made the best crab apple jelly from a wild crab apple tree in our yard. Wonderful childhood memory. I remember going with my father (who was an expert in fruit trees) to take a cutting from a friend's tree and bringing it home and planting it. Didn't graft it but maybe because it was a wild tree.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

MD don't know if you can get the seeds but there is a popular sweetcorn at the farmers' market here called "Peaches and cream". It is a white/yellow corn hybrid that has both yellow and white kernels. It is THE sweetest, tenderest corn you've ever put in your mouth. They sell it for $1 an ear but it is so worth it. Wish I could send you some seeds but those darn agri regulations.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~
Scott

Post by Scott »

I grew up with that 'two-tone' corn in Vermont - it is the best! Course to do fresh corn justice - you near a clear path from the field to the pot of boiling water - and be fast on your feet!!! Seriously, the sugar content goes VERY fast!

Would kill for some here!

Best to all,
Scott
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Didn't know what a Mooli was so had to pop off to Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikon

Seen these quite often, some of them are absolute whoppers, thought it was going to be as sharp as horseradish and was sadly disappointed by the heat. On the orther hand have had some whopping big ordinary red radish the size of a fist and they've been hotter than haides.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

I bought what looked like parsnips in Luxor over the Christmas period but when I got them home to Abydos I found they were definitely not parsnips! I think they were horse radishes, they were certainly hot enough! I baked them with honey and whole grain mustard and they were delicious! :P
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Oooh! Thanks for the tip Kevin, it sounds delicious, I'll look out for them. :)

Sweetcorn seed is quite expensive, especially when you advised to sow two seeds and remove the weaker one after germination. There are some varieties which actually increase in sweetness after they are picked according to the brochures - I'll give them a try.
Thompson and Morgan have a dozen or more varieties and several types - extra sweet, tender sweet, super sweet and baby corn. Hmm I'll have to do a bit of research to see which ones I need for a continuity of supply. 8)
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Here is a link to the Peaches and Cream seeds and they ship to Egypt they say. Lord knows about the shipping costs however.

http://www.humeseeds.com/cornpc.htm
~Mark Twain~
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Scott wrote:I grew up with that 'two-tone' corn in Vermont - it is the best! Course to do fresh corn justice - you near a clear path from the field to the pot of boiling water - and be fast on your feet!!! Seriously, the sugar content goes VERY fast!

Would kill for some here!

Best to all,
Scott
it really is the best. I usually steam instead of boil. You can bake ears also with a little drizzle of olive oil. For grilling, soak the ears in ice water, pull back the husk, butter and season, pull the husk back around the ear and put it on the grill. Steams it beautifully.

Have you ever had a cajun boil Scott? I'm sure you did calm bakes up in Vermont. Would love to do that.
~Mark Twain~