Pass the Banana.

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Pass the Banana.

Post by WIZARD »

Pass the Banana

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas. He said the expression 'going bananas' is from the effects of bananas on the brain. Read on:

This is interesting.

After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia : High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood Enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe it's time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A banana a day keeps the doctor away!'

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth.

Amazing fruit !!!

WIZARD
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Pass the Banana.

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I knew bananas were good for you and I pretty much eat one per day in the morning with my cereal but never knew they were this good for you.

Interesting info!
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

[quote="WIZARD"]Pass the Banana
Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

This one interests me.

I posted on forum before when member said they had problems sleeping.
A GP told my mum to have banana and glass of milk before going to bed,and she would have more restful sleep.
This survey has proved that "old"family GP was perhaps ahead of his time!
Thanks for posting this Wizard.Happiness and mood improvement(serotonin,the feel good factor) IS conducive to relaxation and better sleep pattern.
I don't want to appear conceited..but I can more or less pinpoint those who have suffered depression by their "likes"regarding my posts on this forum!
Have a banana,try it!
There is familial(genetic?) tendency to depression...and there is no shame in it!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There is barely a day goes by when I don't eat a banana. I love them, am fussy about them, and fully appreciate the benefits. However, reading the list above and reading the inner me maybe I need to up my dosage! :roll:

Re the bit about bananas and nausea & being sick. Bananas taste the same on the way back up as they do on the way down, still help to neutralise the acids, and certainly don't feel as uncomfortable as other things do if have to vomit for any reason. Wonder how many people know that.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Wills
United Kingdom

Post by Wills »

Oh High blood pressure, I have that so I think I will try a banana a day and see how I get on. :D
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

The last nine years, I have eaten four bananas outside of Egypt:

My mother gave me one a couple of years ago when she had bought more than they could eat, on two occasions have I taken one with me from breakfast buffets in Italy and once did I find a banana in a fruitbasket in my cabin to Norway. Nine years!

Outside bananas just do not taste like bananas when you are used to eating them sun ripe. :P :P :P
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My favourite type of banana are the little short ones. They seem to have the most flavor. Medium sized of different varieties are ok but sometimes pretty bland.

I'm sure bananas like apples are names for their different varieties but I really don't know them. The little bananas I've called "Silkies" but acquired that name from Trinidad as that is what they're called there.

Really do not care for Plantains or the great big woody type bananas that can be sliced and fried. Those type have minimal flavor to me and am not into cooking them.

Never knew bananas tasted the same when travelling both ways. Interesting tidbit to know. ;)
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

I like 'em Long and slightly green. It is a running joke at work, to see how my shopping went at the weekend, and see how long I can find them, and brings many Risque remarks about at lunch time!
Interesting nugget about their taste on regurgitation, but will rely on hearsay, and will not be performing "taste test" to confirm!!!!!!!!!
When there in Luxor, we get our Bananas from the family Orchard (or whatever it is called there!) but I only eat them if KZ or Rag bags have'nt got the imported ones in. I use them to make Banana bread cakes or in smoothies, so I do utilize the tiddlers here!. i also use the skins to rub on my heels and soles of my feet, try it! the chemicals in the skin contain act like a heel conditioner! (Or is it just me!)
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Maakari wrote:I like 'em Long and slightly green. It is a running joke at work, to see how my shopping went at the weekend, and see how long I can find them, and brings many Risque remarks about at lunch time!
I will not press you for your opinions on cucumbers, vegetable marrows, etc. They can also be long and slightly green!

8) 8)
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Yes I also like a marrow and a nice juicy cucumber, but I am anti bend in these veggies. I like em' long and straight.
;) ;) ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Never heard before the tip of banana skin on the heel. Will have to give it a try.