Cats & Whiskers.....

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Cats & Whiskers.....

Post by Who2 »

For years I have been trying to find a hand whisk.
The other day me & the 'children with hand signs explained my desire in 'plastic ali's and low & behold
I purchased a very 2017 designed hand whisk....
The cats 3 0f 5 shown here,
are for the 'pussy lovers amongst us, personally I really could't give a 'donkey's,
but if you want one next year we accept cash and all major credit cards.... 8)
Ps: Big Nose fly's out tomorrow, 'thank chr*st...

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Cats & Whiskers.....

Post by Who2 »

So back on the job to a house that needs a bit of TLC..
Aida popped round today to show me 'cat in a box'...Cruella & her 3 new kittens....
All white so that's alwright....
Ps: All white cats here over the age of 12 months are now fitted with an individual colour coded collar & bell....8)
"No ooh's & arhh's it's nature at work quite normal....
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

The big white cat looks like the one that turned up at my house late one night a couple of years ago.
it stayed the night, then scarpered off the next morning.... :br

The whisk does not look as substantial as the ones we used to get in the 60's and 70's, and had 2 all metal whisks.
they were hard work, We have a 6 speed electric one, great for making thick cream for the trifles and scones.. 8)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I know what you mean about the whisk, the blades don't slice through stuff like my one in London... 8)
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Is the little kitten with blue eyes DEAF?

I was told that pure white kittens with blue eyes are born deaf, don't know how true it is :ni:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:Is the little kitten with blue eyes DEAF?

I was told that pure white kittens with blue eyes are born deaf, don't know how true it is :ni:
There is a genetic reason for this.

Coat color and an aspect of the cat’s personality or another aspect of anatomy can be linked if the gene that dictates the cat’s colour and a gene which affects the way the brain develops are situated close together on the same chromosome.

If two genes occur on different chromosomes there is a random chance that the offspring (the kittens) will receive any particular combination of the two.

When two genes occur close together on the same chromosome they tend to be inherited together. I say ‘tend to’ because it is not certain.

In totally white cats, the gene that causes the cat’s coat to be white all over, the dominant white gene, is located on the same chromosome and is close to another gene which causes both eyes to be blue and the cat to be deaf .

These genes are inherited together. It seems therefore that the gene that makes the cat white also makes the cat deaf and have blue eyes but this is not so. Indirectly the gene that creates the cat’s color also affects deafness and eye colour.

http://pictures-of-cats.org/why-are-whi ... -deaf.html

There's a similar genetic cause for most ginger cats being male.

The ‘ginger gene’ which produces the orange colour is on the X chromosome. Females have two X chromosomes and so need two copies of this gene to become ginger, whereas males need only one. This means there are roughly three males to one female ginger cats. Ginger toms father tortoiseshell or ginger females. If both parents are ginger, then all their kittens will be ginger too.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

People ask me what my cat is named. It does not have one because it doesnt matter what you call her she wont respond. We have tried many names, and now she is just called Puss Puss.
clearly a selectively deaf cat, because it can hear a bag of dreamies being opened in the kitchen from all the way across the back garden.

It has a strange relationship with my 1 year old Granddaughter Melody. she lets Melody do just about anything and wont fight back, they even play a game together where Melody puts her finger in the cats mouth, and the cat bites it very gently, and she will pull back pretending it hurt her and says Ow!. The cat sets herself up for this game every time she visits.

The White cat is just like the one that turned up at my house late one night a few years ago.. Odd, but I had a feeling something was outside the front door, and as I opened the door, this white cat shot into the house and ran straight up the stairs. it stayed the night, sitting on my lap while I was at my computer, then next morning it scarpered off, never to be seen again..

Her indoors is non to happy with the cat, I think it is on borrowed time, as my missus isn't really a cat lover, so she claims.... :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have always named my animals, even on the farm and never the same name twice, but my current cat has always been called Cat. She was about 4 weeks old and in extremis when she was given to me. I really didn't think she would survive. Now, I think she is one of the oldest cats in Egypt at rising 13 years old. She lets no one touch her except me, will not accept any food from anyone else unless it is in a dish and is commercial cat food (or raw chicken or liver which she would steal given the chance.) but she will allow people to open the door for her. She is also completely clean in the house.8)

PS She does keep our home free from vermin and prefers catching birds for her dinner. She climbed to the very top of the large tree by our house and sat in the crow's nest feasting on the fledglings. Ever since the crows stalk her even on the balcony and try to grab her from behind. No chance she's far to fierce and canny. When I leave she tries to hide in my case and when I return she cuddles me frantically the first day then bullies me for a few days. Bless her.
Smile! It confuses people
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Strange how animals react when they have been left, when I went on holiday I left my dog with my son who always lived with us so nothing changed except my absence. When I returned she would completely ignore me, just a glance as if to say "oh so your back are you, well I'm not speaking to you." her Grandma would come to visit and the dog would be all over her with a sly peep at me. Took about a week before she forgave me and many doggie treats.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

dont you just love them... :up

I had a cat that was semi ferrule and it knew when we were going away on holiday and would disappear a few days before we went on our holidays.
After a week or so of us being back, it would show up again.
problem was, when we left the Dales, it did the same thing, so it never came with us when we left.

A few years later, we were up visiting friends up in the Dales, and we were sitting in the lounge of some old fogeys house close to where we lived.

It was early evening by then, the light was just beginning to fade, again and for some odd reason, I got up from my chair in the lounge and went straight outside to the back garden and ended up by the wall.
as I looked up, there was my cat on top of the wall looking down at me. I tried to reach up to get him, but he just backed off and jumped down the other side.

I rushed back in and told my parents, and the old lady said she had seen my cat and it was doing OK, as she would often see it eating a rabbit or a bird.

My Missus has said that our Son can have the cat when he leaves our house, problem is, he is a bit backward, a few stairs short of the landing, a butty short of a picnic, and as such probably never will leave..... :td

I know the source of his problem, but he wont accept it.... You cant heal those who don't want to be healed... :ct

Anyway, he loves the cat and looks after it for us when we go away.. every cloud and all that... :cg
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

We had a dog that needed a bandage on her foot for a short while. Afterwards if she felt ignored or reprimanded wrongly she would limp and look pathetic. ;)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I had to laugh at that one MD, dogs are really good at playing the old sympathy card when they want to. As for dogs having their favourites, my little dog has several versions of a tail wag, everyone gets the tentative gentle wag that explodes into an enthusiastic wag once they speak to here. She then reserves her frantic side to side wag for people she knows well, but for some reason she reserves her most enthusiastic wag for my son in law. As he sits down she will jump into his lap and stretch her paws up his chest, her tail starts to wag side to side and then speeds up until it is whirling around in a circle like a helicopter blade.

My cat is over 21 years old and still treats me like a servant, she has always been very clean and well house trained although you will be hard pushed to get any show of affection from her.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Little Erica is ginger. If you want your cats to respond to their given name, call them ''fish.'' They always come padding towards you. Joking apart I spend quite a lot of time training my cats. They do respond to their names if my voice has a certain tone. The other 95% of the time the totally ignore me.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

My moggy has always responded to her name and will come running when I call her, but my dog has a strange liking for my wheelie or recycling bins. I only have to say "bin" and she will come running into the kitchen regardless of what else she is doing whether that is sleeping, or down the bottom of the back garden, very weird :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

No matter how long I am away if the house phone is on Speaker when I call the family, Cat comes running and calls to me.

In the house, sometimes she's four floors up on the roof when I call, and she calls back continuously as she runs down the steps. It's a bit wobbly with effort, so sweet.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

One of the cats I had in the UK, Flossy, was always brought in at night as she was stupid and would sit in the middle of the road on a tight bend. I was always worried that she would get hit. So to get her in, and it never failed, I used to stand at the front door as it was getting dark and shout ''spider.'' She used to shoot in for the expected kill. For some unknown reason she had always hated spiders and would squash any that my finger was pointing at in the house as I shouted the word. I trained her on the small leaf clusters that you get growing from the center of a large tomato. When dried they just looked like a fat juicy spider. She never saw the difference between those and the real thing. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

The way to train cats is to introduce them to 'Dreamies', or as it's known in this household, heroin for cats! All I have to do is shake the bag and I have immediate attention - they can both hear the rattle of the 'Dreamies' bag from half a mile away! Instant obedience and good behaviour; it's the only thing, apart from smoked salmon, that Sidney will take direct from my fingers!
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

The way to train cats is to introduce them to 'Dreamies', or as it's known in this household, heroin for cats! All I have to do is shake the bag and I have immediate attention - they can both hear the rattle of the 'Dreamies' bag from half a mile away! Instant obedience and good behaviour; it's the only thing, apart from smoked salmon, that Sidney will take direct from my fingers!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

That again takes me back to Flossy, the special packs of, as you say, legalized cat speed. I used to shout ''sweetie time.'' She would come bounding in and hide just behind the corner of the far room. I positioned myself at the bottom end of the house and used to flick a sweetie along the laminate flooring towards her position. Now she was well hidden, couldn't even see her paw, but as soon as the sweetie came near the corner of the wall, her paw would shoot out and capture it. She rarely missed. I think, remembering all the games and antics that I got involved with with my cats, the cats received more attention than my kids at crawling age. :lol: [as it should be]
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

We had an Old English Sheep dog, boy was he thick, we tried very hard to teach him to retrieve a ball, he would go chasing after the ball but never bring it back. Now this dog didn't realise it was a dog thought he was human and wanted to see everything that was going on. One day we threw the ball off he went after it and then my son noticed something in the grass, Oh look at that, my daughter, mother, son and I stopped to look at what ever it was. All bent over when the dog appeared to have a look at it too, he was carrying the ball in his mouth. Next time we threw the ball he went for it and then once again my son said look at that and we all peered down, sure enough Pernod came to investigate, after a few more repeats he finally got the idea of bringing the ball back only problem was he would only do it when we called "look at that" Felt a little daft when on the park we would throw the ball then shout to the dog look at that but it worked.