Bailey's for Christmas

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Bailey's for Christmas

Post by Major Thom »

With Christmas fast approaching I thought I would renew on the forum the recipe for a very good Alternative to Irish Cream. It will give you the opportunity of purchasing the goods leading up to the feast.

One Bottle of Cheapest Whiskey, not local stuff! Grants, White Horse, or similar.
One Jar of Instant Coffee. Always found the Gold Blend the best, ordinary Nescafe too bitter.
Per Bottle, One can of condensed milk, if you can get it still. Used to be a brand called BONNY
Per Bottle, One can of Evaporated Milk, Again used to made by BONNY

To make a bottle of Irish Cream -

Make a cup full of black coffee and leave to cool
When cool pour into a mixing bowl
Add one can of Condensed Milk
Add one can of evaporated Milk
Add one cup of whisky, (You should get 5 bottles of Irish Cream to every 75cl bottle of whisky)

Get out your electric mixer or blender, and mix well

Pour the mixture into a glass bottle with a screw top and refrigerate. This mixture will keep for 2 weeks refrigerated.

Always keep refrigerated and shake the bottle well before dispensing into glass. Saves a fortune.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Bailey's for Christmas

Post by newcastle »

I would add some chocolate syrup & vanilla essence.

BTW....it should keep for 2 months in a fridge.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I prefer the real stuff and usually on the run up to Christmas our local Tesco will knock out special offers of 1 litre bottles for £12 :o
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Horus wrote:I prefer the real stuff and usually on the run up to Christmas our local Tesco will knock out special offers of 1 litre bottles for £12 :o
And I prefer Xmas to be in December, not August, and over and done with as soon as possible. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I'm with you on that Dusak :up they will be playing 'Jingle Bells' before Bonfire Night at this rate. :urm:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:
Horus wrote:I prefer the real stuff and usually on the run up to Christmas our local Tesco will knock out special offers of 1 litre bottles for £12 :o
And I prefer Xmas to be in December, not August, and over and done with as soon as possible. :up
Only 20 Mondays to go :py :a52: :a18: x:roll:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:
Dusak wrote:
Only 20 Mondays to go :py :a52: :a18: x:roll:
Oh shut up! :a67:
:lol: :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

We had friends here last week his wife works at one of the big Supermarkets and she was saying they are already preparing for Christmas stock. Why not just leave it on the shelves all year around. My wife has started buying in Robertson's Mince, ready for the Mince Pies, it goes up in price in December. We have also started getting in wines and spirits for the same reason.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Nothing like the UK then? Here in the run up to Christmas everything is a lot cheaper. All the spirit manufacturers will vie with each other for sales, so you can expect to get a litre of branded Whiskey for about £15, each week you will see another offer as the product placement changes in the store, one week it may be Bells, on another Famous Grouse or Grants. The same will apply to liqueurs and wines, tins of chocolates or any other Christmas type food and drink, rather than stocking up before Christmas, here it is usually a good time to get some stocks in.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Am I mistaken or is Christmas still four and a half months away?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Horus I seem to remember Tesco's in Luxor did not sell Bailey's or in fact Mincemeat for pies. While I lived there I did try every year for 8 years. Even ASDA in Luxor did not sell it.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Looks like Tesco & Asda are having the same problems in Cyprus then :mrgreen:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

T K Max and Ikea in Hurghada don't sell what you would expect either.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

No problems here Horus, dont ask me to write or pronounce it but one big hypermarket does have a good range of Tesco branded stuff. Papantoniou Supermarket does a lot of Waitose products. All do branded EU and British food. Lidles, we have two of them do great food range, for clthes M&S or Debenhams. But there are some great smalker fashion shops. Like Retro and Snazz. Papantoniou also does great wine in the 1 litre carton, straight from the vineyard at €1.99
Got the radio on while writing this post, in the last 2 weeks there have been 1974 flghts into Cyprus and 387000 visitors. Not bad for a small island. It will be good for Egypt this next season when according to Egyptian press he tourists numbers will be almost back to normal, jobs for all, and money to feed families.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

:a64: :a64: :a64:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

AlphaMega should have the exclusive distribution of Tesco products in Cyprus
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:With Christmas fast approaching I thought I would renew on the forum the recipe for a very good Alternative to Irish Cream. It will give you the opportunity of purchasing the goods leading up to the feast.

One Bottle of Cheapest Whiskey, not local stuff! Grants, White Horse, or similar.
One Jar of Instant Coffee. Always found the Gold Blend the best, ordinary Nescafe too bitter.
Per Bottle, One can of condensed milk, if you can get it still. Used to be a brand called BONNY
Per Bottle, One can of Evaporated Milk, Again used to made by BONNY

To make a bottle of Irish Cream -

Make a cup full of black coffee and leave to cool
When cool pour into a mixing bowl
Add one can of Condensed Milk
Add one can of evaporated Milk
Add one cup of whisky, (You should get 5 bottles of Irish Cream to every 75cl bottle of whisky)

Get out your electric mixer or blender, and mix well

Pour the mixture into a glass bottle with a screw top and refrigerate. This mixture will keep for 2 weeks refrigerated.

Always keep refrigerated and shake the bottle well before dispensing into glass. Saves a fortune.

I'm glad that Major Thom has described this recipe as an ' Alternative to Irish Cream' although I cannot affirm that it is a 'very good' one. Indeed, his recipe makes it a very different alternative to Irish Cream, not least because it has no 'Irish' in it, as in whiskey, nor any [fresh] cream. It also differs in that it uses coffee rather than chocolate as a flavouring. Indeed, it certainly does not resemble Baileys which is a specific brand/trademark (other Irish Creams are also available these days too) which I believe was the first commercially manufactured Irish Cream back probably in the 1970's or early 1980's.

Of course, there are many recipes around for making drinks which involve a blend of whisky/whiskey and cream, some available on line and others handed down through families with special or 'secret' ingredients.

I personally would not like to drink Major Thom's recipe as it would likely be too sweet. I can see however, that it would probably adapt well as an ice cream recipe. You would first have to work out what size cans of Condensed Milk and Evaporated Milk balanced best with [what size] a cup of whisky/whiskey (or perhaps bourbon?).

Ohh... and whilst I think of it... Baileys, unlike Santa Clause, is not just for Christmas. :a42:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

You can buy Bailey's in Turkish supermarkets. I was really surprised when I visited at the amount of foreign liquor on sale there don't think there was one drink unavailable.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As an aside you can also get a very good Baileys substitute in Aldi that sells for about £6 a bottle, a little bit thinner to pour, but tastes very much the same.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Yes Alpha Mega is correct Horus, its just that locals and x pats call it by its greek name, I have not got my tongue around the pronuncation yet. Anyway its the supermarket opposite Macky D's when tou drive down to home supermarket and Debs. Also another good supermarket is Jumbo's in the Kings Mall on the roundabout on Tomb of Kings Road. In Phillipos Supermarket you can purchase an alternative to Irish Cream, made in Germany. I appreciate Hepzi, you may look at the ingredients and think that it sounds too sweet, but he strong black coffee and the cup of whisky take away a lot of the sweetness. I should have added when you make the black coffee you need 4-5 teaspoons of coffee in the mug you make. Thanks Hepzi for making me go back o the recipe I posted.