What does it mean????

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Magicmadge

What does it mean????

Post by Magicmadge » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:54 am

hi all been member for ages now and have too say the site is just the best . the info and chat is great . i have been to luxor four times so far this year its great love the place language people . have made so many friends .
i could do with some help with some of the things they say though !
what do they mean when they say " saba lar lar " i have heard it a lot and have no idea what it means they are always laughing when saying it i hope its nice lol.
there is also a word that sounds like leerkin .
i wish i could pick up the lingo quicker i find it amazing .
any help would be great thanks magic :D

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:58 am

Saba lar lar COULD be sahah el kher? possibly which means good morning - but the leerkin could it be haleeki- which means leave it or its ok - not so sure on that, in what context (as ebot may say)?

Best thing you could do mm is get a small phrase book with the pronunciation listed there are lots to choose from - I'm sure someone on here could recommend a good one :)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

LittleLee

Post by LittleLee » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:35 am

The best book out there that ive seen is the lonelyplanet egyptian arabic translation... also as english ,arabic dictionary...

saba saba (slang talk for morning,morning)...
leekin? not heard of that 1 sorry (yimkin,-maybe) (mumkin,- possible)
You can hardly make a friend in a year, But can easily offend one in an hour...

Magicmadge

Post by Magicmadge » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:49 pm

thanks for the help but it is definately saba lar lar they say it seems to be something fun if that helps anyone they are normally joking around tickling each other or similar.
thanks for the advice on phrase book to .
wish i could speak the lingo its seems hard to grasp but picking up the basics
magic

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:48 pm

First things First ....
Welcome to the forum!

I know this doesn't help you much right now, but a cunning plan I came up with - and the way I learned Arabic - was to ask whoever said the word to explain what it meant. A book will only ever teach you so much - pronunciation is so important. I had to get over my embarrassment at asking questions every two minutes very fast - as there was no way I wanted to sit in the middle of conversations I didn't understand. Even now, I will still interrupt a conversation if a word crops up that I've never heard before!
I'm not positive - but with the added info of tickling being involved - I'd say that what you really heard was "Sibi, La, La" Meaning "leave me, no, no"
As for the other word - not got a clue! Could be anything!

Magicmadge

Post by Magicmadge » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:42 pm

:roll: thanks for the welcome its nice to talk to someone at last been watching and reading for ages now . thought it was about time i started talking lol . thanks for the advice i have been asking people when words pop up i hear a lot its just they seem to think i have got this saba la la cracked now i feel a right muppet lol its amazing how much you can learn from just listening to peoples conversations though .

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 pm

Welcome Magicmadge glad you have taken the plunge & made your first posts, it gets easier :) Wish learning arabic did, I'm hopeless at languages but hope to absorb some over 6 months :roll:

Magicmadge

Post by Magicmadge » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:25 pm

:roll: lol i finally worked out what leerkin is .
its not leerkin ... its la`kin which i believe means BUT.
that would explain why i heard it a lot :o
still no joy getting answers on saba la la .
the only thing i can seem to find is sabat ?=spider
and la la meaning no .
it may make sense as to why they are laughing and tickling people when it is said ;) who knows

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:26 pm

Don't you think what Goddess said about "sibi la la" about right especially if tickling going on? Seems like it to me :)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Magicmadge

Post by Magicmadge » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:39 pm

:oops: ha ha i missed that thought i had read that one must of missed it lol thanks for pointing it out :lol:

Hatschepsut

Post by Hatschepsut » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:22 am

I have also a question: When egyptian to meet in the street they say somethings like "Salam..... Mubarak!" Can someone explain me, why Mubarak????

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:57 am

Goddess wrote: I'm not positive - but with the added info of tickling being involved - I'd say that what you really heard was "Sibi, La, La" Meaning "leave me, no, no"
I think you may be right Goddess. I've noticed that Brits tend to hear and pronounce r's in words, especially after a, when they aren't actually there. Like AmericaR instead of America. She also heard Leerkin for Lakin. Just yesterday, we had Georgie asking about KaRmola instead of Gamola. But leave me would be sibini, but someone could just say sibi.
Last edited by Glyphdoctor on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Malik

Post by El Malik » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:57 am

Mubarak means 'Blessed' and is usually used in greetings such as 'eid Mubarak'
--

drwho

Post by drwho » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:34 pm

It's 'Supana Allah' it means Ist God like 'Whaala or 'il hum da lo la 'pheonetically spekin...Sa?...8)

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:42 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Goddess wrote: I'm not positive - but with the added info of tickling being involved - I'd say that what you really heard was "Sibi, La, La" Meaning "leave me, no, no"
I think you may be right Goddess. I've noticed that Brits tend to hear and pronounce r's in words, especially after a, when they aren't actually there. Like AmericaR instead of America. She also heard Leerkin for Lakin. Just yesterday, we had Georgie asking about KaRmola instead of Gamola. But leave me would be sibini, but someone could just say sibi.
You may be right about the 'r' thing and Brits!

One of my biggest gripes is when people call Ramadan "Ramadam".

I really do think it's quite difficult to learn arabic - if you don't get to know the arabic alphabet. It was only when I learned that that everything dropped into place.

drwho

Post by drwho » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Similar to Pontius Pilate in 'The Life of Brian as in: 'weles woga or wammadan, white or wong?...8)