Using the right "okay" the right way???

Browse through our English/Arabic dictionary and learn some useful words and phrases.
Need a translation? Ask here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 am

Winged Isis wrote:Countessa... "In Seine or in de Nile"... I'm sorry, but I think this says it all! I wish i could believe you, but all my efforts to date make a liar of you! ;) No offense, just joshin' :lol:
:P :P :lol: :lol:

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:59 pm

countessa wrote::lol: :lol: I know it sounds odd...!!! But, if you think about it, the vocabulary in Arabic is quite limited and the grammar is easier than French! And because it's a very strong language, it tends to 'stick'!! :D :)
Totally agree Countessa!
I speak French, German, Italian, Arabic and can read Hieros. I do happen to think though - that it is quite difficult to learn Arabic if you don't have the structure of the Arabic alphabet to hang it on. Only when you know the difference between all the different H's does it become clear!!! The English Alphabet just doesn't have the same sounds and so it makes it quite difficult to differentiate between H's and the like. Even know I have huge big A-Ha moments when I pick up a new bit of grammer that makes everything else click into place.
The trick with speaking Arabic -or any language well - is to say it like you mean it and with confidence. Stuttering and saying things slowly just makes you less understood. I used to say everything s o s l o w l y and would be forever repeating myself. One day in a shop - I just reeled off a sentence as fast as I possibly could, I just thought I was going to have to repeat myself, so was just trying to get to the repetition stage as quickly as possible so we could all move on because I was tired of trying - and stun me - but he understood - first time!!!

Mimimay

Post by Mimimay » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Wow Goddess I'm impressed with your languages, how fantastic to be able to speak so many languages.
I think that learning other languages is a gift which some people have the same as some (not me I'm afraid) of us are artistic. I have cousin the same as you and she speaks so many I've lost count ! :lol:
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:09 am

I am in awe Goddess! :rx:
I can speak French, but to be able to speak, write and read those languages that have a different alphabet, and then go in the opposite direction to boot, well! :br:

Never fear, El Malik, I will NOT give up, as I plan to have a lot more to do with wonderful Misr in the future, and am determined to learn at least some basic conversation, beyond my current tourist snippets! :)
You are so right about Egyptians being helpful, and also very complimentary and encouraging, of my pathetic mumbles, far beyond what they deserve! God bless their little cotton socks! :bl:

Like the Tiny Tut below this line says...
Carpe diem! :le:

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:08 pm

:oops:
I'm thinking of having a bash at Chinese next! Can't be that hard - can it!

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:15 pm

Try eating loads of those little oranges...will put you into the right mood. :lol:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:36 pm

Goddess wrote::oops:
I'm thinking of having a bash at Chinese next! Can't be that hard - can it!
1,321,851,888 don't think so Goddess :lol:

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:06 am

Nah! Only about 2500 characters to learn, plus 5 different levels of pronouncing each one, I think! Easy peasy, Chinesey! Do it in your sleep, babe! :lol: :lol: :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:05 am

[face=Comic Sans MS]Back to 'OK'. I was talking to an Egyptian friend yesteday and they said that 'maashi' would really be used eg among friends in a coffee shop, so it is much more informal than 'quais/a' or 'tamam' I was also told that there is not much to choose between the latter 2 choices for use in a more formal situation.[/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 pm

I think I have it nailed (well, this is how I am going to use them, until some Egyptian falls about laughing!). :roll:
Last night went to my favourite Egyptian restaurant here (Tagine, in Rozelle, Sydney, if you are ever down this neck of the woods). The owner is a Cairene, the waitstaff are from Alex and Luxor. They all agreed with BBLUX :br: that "tamam" is used when qualifying something you've said, like saying "alright?" after giving an order, and also with El Malik :br: that "mesh/meshi" is your RESPONSE to" tamam", when you are agreeing. That's why CC, your hubby uses both in the same sentence. :)
They also agreed it's not really "mash/mashi", but that some times a local accent can make it sound that way. Maybe the person on the Eastbank is originally from somewhere else.
So between you all, we seem to have a result! Woo hoo! :tu: :rx: :wave: