Who the hell s hiding what in this s---hole

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Re: Who the hell s hiding what in this s---hole

Post by Ruby Slippers » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:59 am

MT, maybe you would be better off sending your post of complaint to Egyptair? As far as I know, there are no Egyptair staff on this forum - unless you know better, of course?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:24 am

Major Thom, I would suggest that now you have found your Eutopia of Cyprus that you never fly away from it. You could, I suppose, travel with handluggage only but, not only can that be very restrictive at times, airlines can also insist that your handluggage be put in the hold.
I doubt there is an airline or airport in the world that hasn't mislaid, if not completely lost, some pieces of luggage at one time or another. It shouldn't really happen, it's inconvenient and annoying when it does happen. but when you consider the logistics of the whole operation it's surprising (to me anyway) that it doesn't happen more often.

Should add...beware of sailing away from your island paradise too. I understand peoples luggage can get an accidental dunkin when being loaded on board cruisers, or get left behind or lost too.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:34 am

I've just had an excellent flight with Egyptair on the first direct flight of the season from Luxor direct to the UK. As an aviation expert I cannot fault them at all. Arrived at Terminal 2 at 3pm, walked through customs at 3.40pm.

Infact all my flights (12) have been good and any delays has not been the fault of Egyptair but ground handling and ATC.

I should remind folk that Egyptair only handle themselves in Egypt. They and other carriers have to rely on handling agents who are responsible for dispatching flights. Therein lies the problems with baggage, catering, passenger handing etc.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 am

Major Thom wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:46 am
No matter what I brought to Egypt I paid customs on it, so your government benefited. I was fortuanate to have had good jobs and good wages, so what I did with my income was entirely up to myself. Do you honestly think I would want an Egyptian to look up to me, you must be dreaming. That would be the last thing. To be honest if I was not railroaded into having my villa built by local tradesmen (I regret that very much, the cost of putting it right was almost the same as the cost of the villa in the first place) It had to be replastered, re ceramiced, new external stone, repainted, the paint was put on just where it could be seen....
Lovely to wake up to another tirade from his nibs :lol:

I know I should be more generous of spirit but I’m afraid the only feeling it - and similar posts - generate is one of schadenfreude.

:))) :))) :))) :)))

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:04 am

Major Thom wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:34 am
... when we moved to Cyprus we sa from the aircraft window luggage being taken off because the hold was full ....
Are you sure that was the reason?

It has happened to me on Swiss and KLM. Once when my connecting flight was late and I had to spend the night in Zürich, my luggage was checked in all the way. Once, when I was held back at passport control in Dar es Salaam by men who tried to scare me into bribing them until the very last minute.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Update, our friend received their luggage after being told by EgyptAir they would not send it on fryom Lanaca Airport. Also they had blood tests done and within 48 hours the result came back as e-coli. In past posts after 5 days of treatment in Luxor they did not know what was wrong with them. Some medical care. Dwellers beware if e-coli is doing the rounds in Luxor make sure the food you purchase is fresh and clean, cooked in a clean enviroment.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:57 pm

MT, e-coli doesn't "do the rounds" it is found everywhere in the gut of humans and animals. It is mostly harmless unless you get the bad strain which can cause far more problems, but most strains of the bug just cause diarrhoea. Obviously anyone handling food with dirty hands can pass it on, but also an individuals personal hygiene can exacerbate the problem if they are not scrupulous themselves after falling ill with a bout of diarrhoea and of course elderly people are always more vulnerable. Once one party in a household has contracted the infection then it is very easy to pass that on to a partner and for them to again reinfect the original victim if great care is not taken, even using the same hand towel could spread the e-coli germs back and forth.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

I agree with Horus.

For Major Thom and anyone else that don't understand e.coli - here's what the NHS has to say about it.

What is E. coli?
Escherichia coli (E. coli) is a type of bacteria common in human and animal intestines, and forms part of the normal gut flora (the bacteria that exist in the bowel). There are a number of different types of E. coli and while the majority are harmless some can cause serious food poisoning and serious infection. For example, E. coli bacteria are a common cause of cystitis, an infection of the bladder that occurs when there is a spread of the bacteria from the gut to the urinary system. Women are more susceptible to urinary tract infection by E. coli because of the close proximity of the urethra and the anus.

Some types of E. coli can cause gastrointestinal infections. As the bacteria can survive outside of the body, its levels serve as a measure of general hygiene and faecal contamination of an environment. A common mode of infection is by eating food that is contaminated with the bacteria.

Some E. coli strains produce toxins (Shiga toxins) that can cause severe illness. One common strain called E. coli 0157 produces such toxins and is usually responsible for the outbreaks that are covered by the news. This strain is responsible for the outbreak linked to the farm in Surrey.

What are the symptoms of infection?
The symptoms depend on the site of infection and which type of E. coli is causing the infection. The children infected by the E. coli 0157 strain from the Surrey farm are likely to have had the classic symptoms linked to this strain, that include severe stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhoea that may be bloody. The symptoms usually last up to seven days if there are no complications, but some infections can be severe and may be life threatening.

A particular life-threatening complication called haemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) may develop in 5-10% of people infected with a toxin-producing form of E. coli. This is a severe kidney-related complication that may, in extreme cases, lead to renal failure and the need for renal replacement therapy.

While all ages are at risk, the HPA explains that children may be more vulnerable to severe infections and complications because they cannot tolerate much fluid and blood loss through vomiting and diarrhoea.

How is E. coli treated?
The specific treatment will depend on the type of infection. Cystitis infections are usually self-limiting (they go away by themselves) after two to four days. In some cases a short course of antibiotics may be given.

Intestinal infections by E. coli are not usually treated with antibiotics either. Rehydration is important as a lot of fluid may be lost through diarrhoea. This is the mainstay of treatment and important whether the infection is being managed in hospital or at home. Oral rehydration solutions are particularly helpful in children with diarrhoea. In addition to providing fluids they also replace other important substances lost from the body, including sodium, potassium and glucose.

How can I prevent E. coli?
E. coli infections can be serious so preventing infections is important. The bacteria are usually spread through faecal matter reaching the mouth, so good hygiene is critical in preventing contamination and spread. This is particularly important with regards to going to the toilet or handling or preparing food as consumption of contaminated food or water and contact with infected faeces or animals are common sources of infection.

The usual hygiene rules apply, including the need to wash and dry hands thoroughly after going to the toilet and after touching animals (for example, at farms). Foods should be cooked thoroughly and it is best to avoid unpasteurised dairy products.

Some people have been infected by swallowing water while swimming or playing in lakes or ponds, and so the CDC recommends that swallowing water during these activities should be avoided.

Hands up all those who knew the relationship between cystitis and e.coli.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:31 pm

I think it explains the medical advice to ladies to "wipe back not forewards'

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Now, I never knew that or had even contemplated it. 'live & learn... 8)
Ps: Least it's bought us back to the topics' title...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Major Thom wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:34 pm
Update, our friend received their luggage after being told by EgyptAir they would not send it on fryom Lanaca Airport. Also they had blood tests done and within 48 hours the result came back as e-coli. In past posts after 5 days of treatment in Luxor they did not know what was wrong with them. Some medical care. Dwellers beware if e-coli is doing the rounds in Luxor make sure the food you purchase is fresh and clean, cooked in a clean enviroment.
How odd.

E-coli is usually diagnosed via a stool sample. Not sure it’s detectable via a blood test.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Ps: Least it's bought us back to the topics' title...
Nice one Dr :lol: :lol:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:55 am

I have to warn you against visiting this s---hole.

Within ten days, independent of each other, two children died from e-coli in different parts of Denmark. The one yesterday not far from where my grandchildren live here in Copenhagen.

I saw it on the news, I understand the local language, otherwise I might not have known.

I think it is time for me to go back to Egypt!

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Horus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:31 pm
I think it explains the medical advice to ladies to "wipe back not forewards'
I raised this very subject last night with a few ladies over a few drinks in a WB bar..
Interesting conversation to say the least.... 8)

Ps: Ignoring the collective of archaeologists having dinner just a few seats away...
I did apologise, upon realisation and received a chip in thanks!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Who2 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm

I raised this very subject last night with a few ladies over a few drinks in a WB bar..
Interesting conversation to say the least.... 8)

Ps: Ignoring the collective of archaeologists having dinner just a few seats away...
I did apologise, upon realisation and received a chip in thanks!
As they spend half their time up to their elbows in dead bodies, I’d hardly think they’d be fazed by a bit of sh*t.....or any discussion thereof.

P.S. What is the collective noun for a group of archaeologists? Answers on a postcard.