Preferential Treatment

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Preferential Treatment

Post by carrie »

Debate going on re dual pricing etc. what about preferential treatment.
As a foreigner living in Luxor I am allowed to go where many Egyptians are not. I can enter a hotel without showing ID or being asked where I am going, what my business is.
Not stopped in the street or harassed by the police, certainly not asked for baksheesh by them.
Walking from Little Britain St. towards Medina the other day I walked in front of the police station there, weaving my way through the parked police vehicles. One officer coming out of the doorway as I was passing said hello.
Two Egyptians, whether it was because they saw me going that way or not, followed they were quickly told to go back and walk in the street.
When we are talking about what is fair, is that fair?
I think not.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Preferential Treatment

Post by newcastle »

I don’t suppose a Carrie has any difficulty popping into a hotel to use the loos.

I’d like to see a galabeya-wearing Egyptian try the same!
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

In Hurghada I was asked if I resided there in a few of the hotels, and I know other tourists who have been asked too, when I said no, I was told I was not allowed in, though after complaining and saying I needed the toilet, I was allowed in, one hotel that comes to mind was The Grand.

Never had a problem in Luxor.

I once went to the Sheraton with an Egyptian friend, to the pizzeria restaurant, they only asked for his Egyptian ID, had no problems.

Yet at the Hilton, going to the Chinese restaurant, they were absolutely disgusting towards my Egyptian friend, yet we still got in.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I remember a lot of hassle in Luxor some years ago, when accompanied by an Egyptian friend.

On one occasion, when we went to attend a show in a hotel, he was asked to surrender his ID at the door. No query as regards me. Somewhat to my friend’s annoyance, I insisted we walk away...having let the policeman at the door know what I thought of their manners!

That was in my naive days!

A couple of days later we went to the Sound and Light at Karnak. Same situation...he was asked to surrender his ID at the gate. As he’d never been to Karnak before, I relented and we were duly admitted.

Big mistake! On leaving we found the policeman had taken his ID and left. We had to recover it from the police station the following day.

When we did so, my friend was subjected to an interrogation and I was told I needed permission to visit the monuments in the company of an Egyptian! Extraordinary!!

I waited some time while the officer wrote out a “permit” enabling us to continue our holiday unmolested.

A couple of years ago.....several years after this episode, the same friend and I spent some time in Luxor without any problem. I expect the fact that we were accompanied by his wife and kids helped!

The Egyptians are very strange sometimes. :lol:
Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

Were it not for the fact that there are so may unofficial "guides" roaming around inside the different antiquities, I would suggest that this might be a scheme to stop rogues impersonating real guides and thereby robbing them of their livelihood. But the simple answer to this conundrum is (as usual).... "It's Egypt!"
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:04 pm Were it not for the fact that there are so may unofficial "guides" roaming around inside the different antiquities, I would suggest that this might be a scheme to stop rogues impersonating real guides and thereby robbing them of their livelihood. But the simple answer to this conundrum is (as usual).... "It's Egypt!"
You’re right.

On another occasion when we went to Memphis he was told, in no uncertain terms, that he couldn’t accompany me when visiting the recumbent statue of Ramesses II.

We had to wander around pretending we didn’t know one anther. :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Many a time, in the company of Egyptian friends over the years, they have been asked for their ID card, me, totally ignored as I entered various places. I've always found this embarassing and uncomfortably with me apologising to them. They just shrugged it off. Even today when you hoped attitudes would change for the better if out and about with my friend, even sat on the bus, she is is given the third degree concerning who I am, why are you with him and so on, I think she enjoys the attention lol. I don't like this "us and them " attitude, but it's just something you have to live with. As for duel pricing, well, it p***** me off, but again just something you have to live with, and a thing not just common to Egypt, many counties with an expat collective experience the same. But even the Egyptian people suffer the same, finding suddenly inflated prices compared to what they usually pay. Ramadan is the month of super hype price wise.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

I think that to some degree, preferential treatment and dual pricing are two sides of the same coin, I.e., you receive the former because you are able to deal with the latter. Unfortunate, but unlikely to change until socio-economic circumstances and attitudes do.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I find the subject not worth giving my brain any space or time to even ponder it.
My life's is to short I have far larger things to ponder..
ie: 'perpetual motion, the tick-tock alternating and shedding of time, where's the bloody hoover nozzle... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.