A Serious Incident.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:34 pm

Reading Jewel's post, this is obviously very old information, but does anyone think that in light of the current situation the convoys will be re-instated?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:38 pm

This may have been a different incident that was reported to me today it happened in LB St, same night by a motor cyclist, he tried to snatch a ladies bag but she wouldn't let him have it, he fell off the bike and ran off leaving the bike behind. The police have the bike and are looking for the owner.

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:39 pm

East of the Police Station is probably the Fayrouz area....... never my favourite place at any time.

As for the demonstration at the police station, I was myself out and about on the East Bank last night.... shopping for shoes actually. I was heading for the Nile Palace to meet friends at around 8pm along Medina intending to go down Little Britain Street. The road was blocked at the top of St Joseph Street and I could hear the demonstraton further down Medina Street.
It didn't actually sound like a huge crowd, the large amount of weddings that were cruising around town last night made more noise.
The traffic going along Medina was being diverted into Fayrouz... presumably to divert them along TV street away from the protest, up the street with the Chinese on the corner. That would have put an unusually large amount of traffic going through Fayrouz wouldn't it?

However, I am very sorry for your friend, A-Four.... and I hope she makes a full recovery very quickly. It must have been a traumatic experience for her. Very sad.

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Yes carrie it was from (just) 2years ago mind advertising holidays in Egypt, to show how swiftly things can change, I don't think the same information would be appropriate in current times, sadly, but is how it should be. :?
Would they be able to organise the convoys in these upheavals? I don't know.
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Do you know! this could happen 1O times in a 24 hr period on the main street in Islington, it's full of restaurants and people, and you wouldn't ever have read so much stuff written about it as I've seen on here, 'jesus wept this is Egypt, land of thieves for god's sake, get real! and get a tazer...........8)
On second thoughts, the bluewater shopping mall /experience is safe they have security guards, why?

Kunis

Post by Kunis » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 pm

As a wanderer when I am in Luxor I can see that on my next visit I will not be my usual relaxed self.

But more important all good wishes for a speedy recovery to the victim

kunis

Californiagirl

Post by Californiagirl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Hoping that your friend is recovering well..

Please pass on our regards and kind thoughts.

Things will get better.

Mr and Mrs Freelancer xx

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:52 pm

I am sorry that I have been rather vague here, but yes it is in the Farouz area, although I never recommend European run restaurant, I would not want to damage their reputation, as a result of a incident that was not its fault, therefore I did no state the street name, as what has been suggested on here.

The person is not a BT, and has with her family, a flat in this area for over 10 years, and further more is highly respectable. I can confirm that she is fine, but now finds swimming a little difficult,......as I said she has true grit. At the same time, there are many Europeans who live here who are not so strong. I have heard of similar attacks recently in this area that have not been reported to the police, they MUST, as this one has.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:29 pm

This is a really sad occurrence and I, too, wish the lady well. At the moment, a former member of this site is actually video recording some of the locals in Luxor (Egyptians), who are all stating how safe it is in Luxor and putting the videos out on Youtube via Facebook! :( This is sending out very mixed messages to prospective tourists. I agree that the majority of tourists would probably have a wonderful holiday there but it certainly isn't paradise and I think it needs reports like this to show the opposite side of the coin.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:38 am

Yes - I saw them yesterday. Amateurish, badly shot, and contradictory - in one video a taxi driver was complaining about no business, in another two people were saying how much better it is now. She shot the video when only one tourist coach was parked on the WB corniche - not the two times a day when there are 10 or more, and literally hundreds of tourists from Hurghada are taking to the boats. I also wonder if the subjects of her videos were asked whether they wanted to be on the internet!

I questioned the quality and subject of the 30 sec videos, only to find my comments quickly removed, and now the proprietor of a "multi million dollar property business" (her words) is now invisible to me on Facebook! Now I understand why I've only seen favourable comments on any FB posts that she makes
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:29 am

How does anyone come to have a "multi million dollar" business in Luxor these days without bribery and corruption involved? Especially in such hard times. I'm afraid it doesn't command respect if people paint a rosy picture just to serve their own ends, as well as being damaging to luxors reputation in the end when people find for themselves the reality differs from the video? :?
I hope the lady involved in the incident is "onthe mend" :)
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Well,.............to put you in the picture here Jewel, some she knows about, and would you believe it, some she don't.

Ouch.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:28 am

I was at the same place that she filmed her interviews yesterday. 6 tourist coaches, boatloads of tourists crossing the river , or going to a riverside restaurant for lunch. Even an arabeya full of 'independent' tourists (10 of whom were sat on the roof!). I also saw at least 5 cruise ships setting off for Aswan (including the beautiful Sudan). Admittedly the coaches were from Hurghada, but it is still a case of 'you see what you want to see'.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:04 am

Stan, a little lost on who you are talking about, filming ficticious things and blowing them up out of proportion, to attarct people to a million pound business????? Is it anything to do with the person who seems to have more web sites and internet activities in Luxor that it is slowing everyone elses down??? Or is it someone who is not doing so well and is trying to attract people to Luxor to boost the coffers.....

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:04 am

LivinginLuxor wrote: still a case of 'you see what you want to see'.
Or not seeing what you don't want to see!
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:06 am

Oh!! looking back its a woman, who the hell is that?????

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:30 am

I would love to say here Choc, but look what happened to Stan, he has been drummed off her face book for telling the truth. I am told that she may be the new Amdowla of the WB.

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:44 am

Exactly, things arn't great at the minute but just try walking through Nottingham city centre after dark! You have to put things into perspective.
I hope the lady in question makes a speedy recovery.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:24 am

OK A4 Thanks...

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Actually the attempted 'motorbike mugging' in Fayrouz happened to me. It happened at about 7pm after I left a friends flat where I had delivered a kitten she wanted to adopt. A-Four is a little inaccurate in the details in that I was dragged along the road on the first attempt, until the mugger flew off the bike which went skidding down the road. I was very stunned and bloody and trying to get to my feet when he remounted the bike and tried to ride it at me. He didn't succeed because the bike seemed damaged and I think the wheel was buckled or knocked out of alignment. I think he tried to come back for me because by that time I had found my voice and was making a hell of a racket!

All in all I didn't come off too badly. I held on to my bag and suffered only minor cuts and bruising. I've had severe muscular pain in the neck, arms and wrists for a couple of days but that's better now. What won't heal so quickly is the sadness I feel because the town I have lived in and felt so safe in for over a decade doesn't feel so safe anymore.

Incidentally there was another attack in St. Joseph St. last night on an Australian tourist. She lost her money, passport and everything, and was due to fly to Dubai today but couldn't go. Fortunately she wasn't hurt. This was witnessed by taxi and Caleche drivers who recognised the assailant and reported him to the Police. His description matches that of the man who attacked me so it may be the same one. However these attacks seem to be very prevalent now. I am not the first woman this has happened to and sadly I doubt if I will be the last. I hope no other women (or men) get hurt in this way.

In case it isn't the same man the best description I can give is:

Large black motorbike with no number plates. Tall thin man of between 20-30 with fairly light skin and either very short or no hair. Weak chin. At the time he was wearing a fitted purple/pink (puce) coloured shirt.

Thankyou all for your good wishes and support (apart from the Dr. of course). And particular thanks to A-Four for his care and concern.