Money, Movers and Marriage

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Money, Movers and Marriage

Post by Dusak »

The A-Z of life (Part M)

MONEY.
There is not much to say really on the money topic, but the shifting tides of time concerning the banks from when first arriving here has had an impact on my standards of living. At first the banks here were a concern to me as they all had queer sounding names that were unfamiliar to me. Thankfully the HSBC opened a branch here and I was relieved as it was a worry for me at the time not having a familiar name to deal with. The only problem with the banks here is that they move the goal posts and never inform the keeper. When I sold up my UK home and transferred all the money over here I was receiving 5% interest, which was excellent. But they suddenly stopped it without informing the customer. Luckily the exchange rate was very good so I changed a large amount into Le at just over 11.85Le. The interest rates were split between two accounts, one receiving 10.35 the other, my working account, receiving 8.25. This actually worked out better than the Stirling accounts interest that was stopped. These interest rates are now fluctuating on a half yearly basis and you really don't know what your getting unless your on a fixed, set period of time, investment account. I'm just glad that I didn't need my works pension to rely on to live here as the past fluctuations of the exchange rate would have halved its value.

I could never understand why the banks suddenly stopped the changing of the tourist money, forcing them to use the currency exchange offices. The bank of Cairo issued this decree. Then I was told that the majority of exchange places were owned by the MB's. Fact or fiction?

MOVERS.
There used to be a great many people moving over here to live, buying property on a permanent basis, or to stay out the winter months from the European winters, giving a little respite to their aching limbs. But now, more have/are moving out as the lack of safety and feelings of uncertainty creeps in. The lucky ones are the renters, able to move with the times, suffering little financial loss, but for the likes of me and others that own property here its a different story. You have to go with the flow unless your financially secure enough to just up sticks and leave it, to chance that you still owned it when you returned if peace where to reign again. If I knew then what I know now I would of rented instead of buying and in actual fact, many on here advocated that choice even then that this was the better option. But the stable doors lay wide open and the horse had trotted off concerning my choice. I will stay here, sale of my home or not as someone has to turn the lights out when every one has gone.

MARRIAGE.
You have here the holders of the genuine marriage certificate, as I and other couples here have/had. Then you have those that have the more legally accepted one that single and divorced women obtain via the Embassy of country of origin. Then you have the good old time tested bonking paper.

The holders of the European certificates live as happy as the wife allows. The ones with the more recognized Embassy ones can live their lives in relative peace and quiet. Very rare is their partnership questioned if they have this paper when needing to stay at a hotel of their choice if on holiday together or what have you. I have five friends that have been together for very long periods of time with their Egyptian husbands, ranging from twenty years to four. All seem to be happy, and it is obvious that money was not the motivator of the pairing. They are just as happy and content as any other married couples.

Then you have the holders of the barking bonkers believers certificates that adds legitimacy to their long/short stay relationships while in the country. Giving them both the opportunity to live in the same flat.

Then you have the traditional Egyptian marriage. At first I used to hate being around or caught up within these three day mini festivals that removed all public transport off the streets as they were commandeered for the transportation of the guests. Blocking roads and halting traffic flow, sealing off streets and side roads at will. You soon realize the advantages of hearing aids, both during the celebrations and when you get married, able to turn then off at will. But now I've changed my opinion towards them. These young people have lost so much hope for their future since the revolution, having very little to look forwards to, a wedding tells you that all hope is not lost, they at least will be enjoying a life with someone they love and can attempt to weather the storm out together in these trying times that lay ahead. But it is still an expensive decision to make. The man has to provide the home, gold to the value of at least seven thousand, dependent on his worth. The main furniture for the home and pay the brides mother or father the sum of, usually, ten thousand pounds. He is also responsible for the costs of the last days wedding feast. She is expected to buy the white goods, household furnishings, towels, lamps, bedding, and towels that kind of thing, and all that they need to eat with and off. I think that a more European approach would be better for them, giving the individual the choice of what needed to be spent and the amounts of cash given over as they would receive a better chance of surviving the hard times with such an amount put away for a rainy day as we say.

Miss scarlett

Re: Money, Movers and Marriage

Post by Miss scarlett »

Loving your A-Z of life, it's very informative, well written and on occasions highly entertaining! Look forward each day to the new chapters. On my recent visit a friend we has known for several years had recently married. This meant he had to complete the second floor of the house he lived in. Have to say it now looks beautiful, the kitchen is actually stunning, far nicer than mine. The children's bedroom, even though at present, there are no children to fill it was beautifully decorated in a Disney theme, with beautiful bed linen.

I can only presume the monies must have been stored away somewhere, from the better times before the revolution. He also told me he had to marry quickly, due to his mother being lonely in the house all day. He is an only son, and his sister married 2 years ago, so mother was complaining about having to do all the work in the house.

Really got the impression he was not in love with his wife, who we did meet, and is Egyptian.
He hopes love will develop in time, but as he states he had to marry to keep his mother happy. Quite powerful those mothers!

Angelat211

Post by Angelat211 »

Can I just comment about HSBC as I tried to shut my account down from the UK when I left Luxor and even went to an HSBC in London who tried to help me but they couldn't and I had to fly back to Luxor just to close my account and get my money.
You should really be aware that HSBC in other countries are similar to franchises and do not come under the umrella of the large HSBC family.
I'm not saying it will fold or anything like that but please be aware of the situation.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yes I knew this Angelat211, but I can't remember which bank its affiliated in Egypt with. Like the rest of Egypt now, if it does go belly up, it just joins the long queue of those that have already achieved it.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

HSBC Luxor wants a minimum of £1,700 to open an account and you must keep this figure in there or you will hit charges, they will give you 4% on this but they want cash to open it. ummmm
It is what it is.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Don't worry Dusak you will soon have a new annoying neighbour, loud music, laughter, suspect the occasional tin of kippers in your pool. Mars bar lobbed at your imposters on the balcony, can't talk to them as they only speak Italian and as far as we know there is only one calishe driver who talks Italian (yes we found him)!
It is what it is.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Ohh Gawd, suppose that means an end to my nudie bathing then. :cry:

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

dsaxelby wrote:Don't worry Dusak you will soon have a new annoying neighbour, loud music, laughter, suspect the occasional tin of kippers in your pool. Mars bar lobbed at your imposters on the balcony, can't talk to them as they only speak Italian and as far as we know there is only one calishe driver who talks Italian (yes we found him)!
Could be worse the Mars bars could be in the pool :sk