Nearly A Year On Whats Changed?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Nearly A Year On Whats Changed?

Post by Zooropa »

In September last year a regular poster had this to say about the current Government's view on tourism

"Whatever makes you think that? If tourism here is curtailed as you suggest - the third largest contributor to the Egyptian GDP, employing 10-15% of the workforce - the economy would become a total basket case. Have you not read Morsi's statements on tourism? He definitely wants more visitors, and realises that different cultures have different attitudes, and that Egypt can accomodate these differences."

If they think that then where are the policies to support this view and desire?

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Nearly A Year On Whats Changed?

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

No Body knows that yet, we are still waiting for Parliamentary Elections, so that different things can be passed in a democratic way. For some reason it keeps getting delayed, so don't expect too much change

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Zooropa wrote:In September last year a regular poster had this to say about the current Government's view on tourism
Are we not allowed who this regular poster is? Or is it out Sunday task along with the crossword to search out the information! :roll:

Surely if you are quoting someone it is appropriate to credit them.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Hepzibah have I broken any site rules?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Don't know about any new policies re tourism being set,but there seems to be a lot of conflicting views on the number of tourists now visiting.
On reading some of the newspapers some "official" Government sources say that tourism has increased,whilst the "unofficial"ones tell a very different story.
Maybe there are policies in place.Hasn't there been stuff in the news that Iranian tourists are now visiting?Is Egypt now maybe promoting itself more to the Arab/Muslim countries rather than the European ones?
But anyone who has visited Luxor recently will see that it tells its own sad story.It has nowhere near the number of visitors it used to have staying for any length of time.
My hotel had big parties of Egyptians staying there sporadically...so is it also being marketed as a "home"destination (kinda like us going to Blackpool/Scarborough,etc.)
Yes,different cultures do have different attitudes,but maybe for the time being until things get sorted,it's more prudent and cost effective for Egypt to attract and accommodate visitors whose culture more resembles their own.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Zooropa wrote:Hepzibah have I broken any site rules?
Have I suggested that you have?

When I see quotes I like to know who they are attributed to. Equally, when I have been quoted I like to see that I have been credited.

It may or may not be a forum rule but it is an accepted standard of good practice and etiquette!
-Aldous Huxley

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

I didnt say you had, i merley wanted to ask as you are a moderater.

As to whether its an accepted standard of etiquette, tis is open to debate.

See here from a previous thread:

DJKeefy wrote:A member posted in one of his posts that "Religion always wins over Politics", could that be extended to Religion wins over anything?

In the paper yesterday a Salafist preacher Abdullah Abdel Hamid said:

"Locusts are a 'gift from God', and government officials who plan to get rid of them are against God."

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/66930.aspx

I remember about 7 years ago a women who bought a property on the banks of the nile, the son was not happy about his father selling the property, but it went through the courts without any problems, the women returned to her country for a month and when she returned there was 3 ceramic pots (for drinking water) built in a wall closure in her open garden (just set back from the path that runs along the nile) The son who's father had sold the property had built it, Lawyers was brought in and refused to take the case on to have the pots removed, The story was that the son had a dream and Allah had told him to build the pots there. The women decided to let him keep the pots there cause she did not want any trouble and said it would add a kind of decoration to the garden..

If its good enough for the boss then its good enough for me!

Are you going to be consistant and level the same at Keefy?

I have not quoted the poster because it was a commonly heald view at the time and i picked this one because it was the first i came across that was a good example.

I did not want to be accused, because it was not my intention of routing through a posters previous contributions in order to throw them back in their face.

I respect the poster and their right to a view.

I thought it would make a good debating point because optomism of the new government was quite high a year ago and it would be interesting to get peoples views now.

I think it would be more constructive to actually comment on the question than having yet another nit pick.

Its getting rather predictable and for a moderator, in my opinion not appropriate.

I will not reveal the original poster.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Zooropa wrote: Are you going to be consistant and level the same at Keefy?
As I had not read the post by Keefy I could not raise the same point.

Zooropa wrote:I respect the poster and their right to a view.
So only people you respect have the right to a view. So that infers that those you don't respect have no right to a view. :(
Zooropa wrote:Its getting rather predictable and for a moderator, in my opinion not appropriate.
I am a member of the forums first and foremost and have as much right as any other member to share my views, ideas, thoughts, comments etc.
As a general rule, if I am posting with my Moderator hat on, I will usually identify my post as such by writing a moderator comment.
-Aldous Huxley

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

I said:

"I RESPECT THE POSTER AND HIS RIGHT TO A VIEW"

It implies what it says, and does not say or imply that people i do not repesct have a right to a view or that i would not respect that view.

Dont put words in my mouth or suggest things that are not in evidence.

You dont like me fine, il survive!

Like i said, having a go for the sake of it.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Zooropa wrote:I said:

"I RESPECT THE POSTER AND HIS RIGHT TO A VIEW"

It implies what it says, and does not say or imply that people i do not repesct have a right to a view or that i would not respect that view.

Dont put words in my mouth or suggest things that are not in evidence.

You dont like me fine, il survive!

Like i said, having a go for the sake of it.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
In context your comment read differently to me.

As for your comment 'You don't like me...' as you say - Don't put words in my mouth!

And your last comment - ditto!
-Aldous Huxley

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Is there, from you a comment on the actual post question anywhere in our futures?

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

For the record Zooropa I would normaly say who the quote is from BUT for the life of me I could not find the post at the time I was posting that topic, I dont even know if it was word for word.

But your right, the rules do not state that it is required, I think Hepzi was just curious to who wrote it. Sometimes people quote someone in a post from what they can remember they thought they read in a post, which could be wrong, so I do agree it's best to add who quoted it for reference so people can go research the quoted post and other posts from that thread.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Thanks for the post Keefy.

As I stated, the quote was, in my opinion a reflection of a point of view at the time that a proportion of posters on here held and as such I do not think it would be fair to attribute those comments to just one person, even though it was their actual comment I used as an example.

As for your view that the poster was curious rather than just having a go because it was me that was posting we shall have to agree to disagree.

Looking forward to meeting you during my trip.

It would be good though to get a snapshot of what people now feel as apposed to then.

In light of Dusak's post asking why some posters don't post anymore I thought that this particular issue might encourage them to comment a bit more.

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition and still hope that people will comment on the original post question.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hey Z - you did absolutely nothing wrong. You're just being subjected to the silly nitpicking pettiness that is common L4U. I get it all the time as do several others who are not of the favoured few.

You prefaced your thread with a generality followed by a statement that was a commonly held notion. You'll note that while there is often a criticism of thread drift the Mod didn't do you the courtesy of PM-ing you on the side so their concern re: quotes could be addressed. Rather they opted to take your thread completely off topic.........'til ALL silly petty nitpicking where some on L4U seem to feel the need to keep everything SO completely 100% pristine clear and clean on a self righteous basis they actually take away from the purpose of social media which is to LET PEOPLE TALK AND DISCUSS. We are NOT IN SCHOOL writing a paper!!! Get over yourself and let people pose ideas, talk, challenge and quit worrying about grammar and quotes.......threads drift as people get new ideas but please quit with the nitpicking!

As to your thread topic - It is hard to say as the MB haven't really, to my awareness, put forward any official policy concerning tourism. I think that while the MB might have their own views which seem to be pretty hard and fast they recognize their country needs money so they'll be ok with tourism until they gain sufficient power, public adherence and following that they feel empowered to make changes they want. Morsi being the leader has to meet the needs of his people and by saying he wants tourism is one thing but once his party gets fully sorted his viwe might change if his political party moves towards more fundamentalist ideology. But this is only my thoughts on this.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Why has this post been "chopped"?

Can someone advise please?

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

The government figures for tourism are for the whole of Egypt. I suspect that the numbers travelling to Red Sea resorts are holding up quite well. This, of course, does not help those living in the Nile Valley.

Most of the younger staff at my preferred hotel on the West Bank are now working at Hurghada. Older people may not be so flexible.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

I deleted them Zooropa to put your topic back on track, the deleted posts would have been better in a PM.

DJKeefy Edit: I tried on a few occasions to post the reason for deleting them but it was a bad day where the electric kept going off, a day later I forgot about this thread since nobody had replied.

Any queries about moderation should be sent in a PM please.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Hurghada is flat for tourists BY, our neighbours, are there this week, when they phoned me they told me that, its as dead as Luxor..

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

A year on what has changed. Lots! Far less tourists here in Luxor, and those that are coming seem to be those mainly taking a cruise, a lot more day trippers from Hurgada, lots of complaints about lack of security (although I have had no problems what so ever) shortage of petrol, power cuts, rising prices, increase in begging in the streets, apart from all that things seem very much the same.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Hurghada is flat for tourists BY, our neighbours, are there this week, when they phoned me they told me that, its as dead as Luxor..
I have been there twice in the last 3 weeks and its no where near as quiet as Luxor.