Lost in translation.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Lost in translation.

Post by Dusak »

My Egyptian friend, God love here, has just arrived for a visit. She came with four boxes of tea bags, four jars of coffee, a bag of sugar and two loafs of bread in response to a text message I sent her knowing she was coming, and I to hot, sweaty and lazy to go out. My text message read--could you please pick up a milk 4 the tea and coffee. Thanks. I asked what was all this for. She said that I had asked for it. I said did you not think it a lot of tea and coffee. And why the two loafs and sugar? She reply's that she thought that I must be having friends round and knowing me as she does, would not have enough sugar in the house and they may want a sandwich! The Egyptian thought process, just mind boggling at times. Anyone for coffee?

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Lost in translation.

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Aw, bless... Does she have the number "3" on her back... :up
Ofri warm in Luxor these days... ;)
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:lol:
I imagine word is spreading fast around Luxor now and panic buying has begun.

'Word on the street is there are shortages of tea and coffee and we all need to stock up. It's all that Morsi blokes fault....'

:cuppa: Enjoy!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I now have enough coffee for the next four years as on average I may have two cups a week. The tea will last a fortnight with any luck. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

So, you have enough coffee on standby for my 2 week October visit ( insh-Allah) . . :up

2 sugars, full cream milk, and in one of those big mug's, :up not those poncy little tea cups that only hold enough to barely wet your lips.. :td

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I have just the mug for you BM. Its big and as soon as the hot liquid is put into it, very slowly the happy smiling face of Dusak greets you. Turn the mug around, same. Empty the mug, I'm at the bottom, smiling up at you. 50Le off the local market. :up If you have a coffee habit, this will help cure it. :evil:

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Always amazes how people read the written word. Sometimes the most innocuous little message turns sour and all that is sacred breaks loose. Tea, coffee and sugar are great to have stocked up. Milk not so sure but possibly you can get yourself into a stint of baking to use up the extra ingredients. I say you have a very forward thinking friend who is looking out for you - AND forward thinking such that she now knows you have tons of 'goods' for upcoming visits :eat :eat :eat

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

I used to give out my number in all innocence to people I had met in Luxor,(before I wised up!!!),thinking we could maybe just "stay in touch."
How naive was I!!!!
Their texting was mind-boggling to say the least.I had one who was very happy to "sand my massage"(send me message?)and another who wanted to "spake off his fellings"(speak of his feelings?)
As you say...lost in translation!
Only people now who have my number are the family I'm close to,and even then I can cause confusion.
I returned from Luxor one time and texted saying that "I was missing sun and there was no sun in Scotland."
I then got some frantic calls asking if I had informed Police!!!
They had read it that my SON in Scotland was missing.It took a bit of explaining to calm them down.
Mind you...their English is still much,much better than my Arabic!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Very charming.

I am one of those foreigners who struggle to understand written English, and I wonder how much gets lost in translation every day. :cry: Funnily, I did not have that problem before I came to Luxor...

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

We have been stocking up on food now for the past month, mainly essentials, tea, coffee, butter, bread, milk, tuna, baked beans, potato's, as many vegetables we can get, we prepare them blanch them and freeze them. it is obvious that shortages are about to hit us.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Is that because of our intelligence level in Luxor Bennu?

I bet Spain is even worse, English spoken in San Miguel Style :lol:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:We have been stocking up on food now for the past month, mainly essentials, tea, coffee, butter, bread, milk, tuna, baked beans, potato's, as many vegetables we can get, we prepare them blanch them and freeze them. it is obvious that shortages are about to hit us.
You freeze them during these times of prolonged and frequent power cuts? :ni:
Smile! It confuses people

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

But if Dusak wrote in English instead of using text-speak, the poor victim of his humour would have correctly interpreted the message! Nothing to do with Egyptian thought processes - she correctly interpreted the words, but the figure 4 was ambiguous.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

They say MD that you get an average of 5 hours before things start to defrost as long as you don't open the door during the power loss. Seems to be right as the only thing I've noticed is a slight softening of the bread. :up LL unfortunately even as she understands English, its how they pronounce it in their minds. I think that the order would of been the same if I had written for. But as Choc seems to think that there will be shortages, although I haven't seen any signs of any, it will not go to waste. She nicked one of the coffees for home, plus the free mug and creamer that came with each. She called it compensation for making her carry all the heavy shopping. :D

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Mad Dilys wrote:
Chocolate Eclair wrote:We have been stocking up on food now for the past month, mainly essentials, tea, coffee, butter, bread, milk, tuna, baked beans, potato's, as many vegetables we can get, we prepare them blanch them and freeze them. it is obvious that shortages are about to hit us.
I've been pondering this too.
Slightly less risky if you have a chest freezer as they hold the temperature better, but uprights are fine for a while but can soon start to defrost and the defrosting is not always in areas of the freezer you expect. Checking food at the front - i.e by the door - is not sufficient. You need to check the food at the back/in various drawers - depending on the style of cabinet.

If I were stocking up it would definately not be my freezer food but dried and tinned goods that have good shelf life anyway.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Is that because of our intelligence level in Luxor Bennu?
Not at all.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

You can use an empty microwave as a fridge too.. :up

Fridges simply slow down the rate that the bacteria grows at. The Latent microwaves in a microwave oven also do the same job, but attack the bacteria to prevent it;s growth.. :cg

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Mad Dilys wrote:
I've been tepondering this too.
Slightly less risky if you have a chest freezer as they hold the temperature better, but uprights are fine for a while but can soon start to defrost and the defrosting is not always in areas of the freezer you expect. Checking food at the front - i.e by the door - is not sufficient. You need to check the food at the back/in various drawers - depending on the style of cabinet.

If I were stocking up it would definately not be my freezer food but dried and tinned goods that have good shelf life anyway.
Quite Hepzi. I think 5 hours is perfectly OK in UK temperatures but not I think in ambient temperatures well over 30C. (In our kitchen 46C while cooking is not unusual)

On my last return from UK I brought an accurate fridge and an oven thermometer.
In both an upright fridge and a freezer, the temperature varied according to the position in the cabinet and the amount of goods stored on the particular shelf or drawer - as well as how often and for how long the door was opened.

I make a lot of cakes which had recently started to sink a little to my chagrin.
I found that though the gas oven had previously been accurate, now the oven needed to be set at 200C to achieve a heat of barely 180C. Unfortunately this 10% difference didn't apply evenly across the range of temperatures that I use. :evil:

A maximum and minimum thermometer can be quite revealing. I find it quite fascinating. 8)
Bullet Magnet wrote:You can use an empty microwave as a fridge too.. :up

Fridges simply slow down the rate that the bacteria grows at. The Latent microwaves in a microwave oven also do the same job, but attack the bacteria to prevent it;s growth.. :cg
In common with most of my friends and family I have found that take-aways and snacks put in the microwave overnight taste better than if they are put in the fridge.

Now I know why. Thank you BM :up
Smile! It confuses people

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

We have an old chest, freezer that works perfectly, like the posts say provided you keep the lid shut during cuts the goods inside will still be frozen 18 hours later, I know this, I accidentally unplugged it last year, it was off for almost a day, everything was still frozen when I found out.

The upright freezers I would not like to chance, some of the posts say that when the door is opening the cold air on the inside which is heavier than warm air, falls out of the bottom of the freezer.