LAFF - Hope for the future!

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

LAFF - Hope for the future!

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Luxor African Film Festival مهرجان الأقصر للسينما الأفريقية‎
Dear all friends of Luxor African FILM Festival
Thank you for your support and now we start to planning making a wonderful third edition of LAFF in March 2014 with these important changes in Egypt TO FREE Culture from dark minds and to reconnect with our African identity.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: LAFF - Hope for the future!

Post by Scottishtourist »

What they gonna show Hepzibah,amongst the fireworks and the turmoil?
Braveheart?

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Scottishtourist wrote:What they gonna show Hepzibah,amongst the fireworks and the turmoil?
Braveheart?
Stop taking the p***, ST, that is my job.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:ni: I've no idea. I just saw the information as written and shared it.
-Aldous Huxley

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel »

Mmm and the African Union is rejecting Egypt and the current situation there at the moment, and you have to look beyond just Egypt to realise where Egypt stands. With Egypt blocked one wonders if a film festival has any credence in the current situation?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/353749

Addis Ababa - The African Union (AU) has suspended Egypt from membership in the continental body after the military overthrew the elected government of President Mohamed Morsi. The decision was taken after a meeting of the AU's peace and security council on Friday.

The AU commission head, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, said at the news conference Friday that the removal of Morsi was unconstitutional and that the AU has blocked Egypt from participating in all activities of the continental organization until constitutional order is restored in the country.

According to the AFP, Mohamed Edrees, Egyptian ambassador to the AU, speaking before announcement of the decision, said "the voice and the call of tens of millions of Egyptians must be heard, understood and respected."
Anticipating the suspension, he said that Egypt wants to "continue to take part in this family," adding that "The military role is to support the people, their role is not to instigate a coup."
Meanwhile, the Federal Government of Nigeria said Thursday that it views the situation with "grave concern."

According to the Nigerian Punch, the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the Egyptian military's action was "a truncation of the aspirations of the Egyptian people to freely express themselves through the ballot box."
The statement continued: "This unfortunate development is a gross violation of the Constitutive Act of the African Union, which prohibits unconstitutional change of government. It constitutes a serious setback to the remarkable progress which Africa has made in fostering the culture of democratic governance in the continent.
"Nigeria calls for the immediate restoration of the democracy order in Egypt and urges the Egyptian Armed Forces to allow the democratic culture to thrive in the country."

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

To paraphrase the words of Mandy Rice-Davis "She would say that, wouldn't she!" Festivals like LAFF are good for Luxor, and when people realise that making it a 'cultural' centre, not a mass-tourism destination, money could well flow in. High end tourism could be the answer for Luxor - amidst all the laid-up cruise ships, the most expensive one, the Sudan is sailing regularly.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Mandy had an open attitude to life, turned over a new leaf and went on to a successful career in TV and movies although I doubt that her type of film would be shown in an Egyptian film festival. She was also a dab hand in political intrigue which would be a skill in demand in Egypt right now so maybe she's just the type of guest they need at the next film festival and, in any case, she's probably familiar with the habits of the males of the region. Conjures up lots of ideas in international relations.

You know that its lunacy and hypocrisy time when that great democrat Nigeria is calling for immediate restoration of democracy in Egypt. What they don't know about military dictatorships and kleptrocracy isn't worth knowing, Aren't they dealing (not very well) with a civil war at the moment?

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel »

You know that its lunacy and hypocrisy time when that great democrat Nigeria is calling for immediate restoration of democracy in Egypt. What they don't know about military dictatorships and kleptrocracy isn't worth knowing, Aren't they dealing (not very well) with a civil war at the moment?
EXACTLY!!! :?
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Well it would seem that plans are still going ahead for the 3rd Luxor African Film Festival:

Luxor African Film Festival مهرجان الأقصر للسينما الأفريقية
19 minutes ago (03/08/2013)
لقاء الفنانين و المثقفين بوفد الاتحاد الافريقى بحضور رئيس المهرجان / سيد فؤاد وابدى رئيس الوفد الرئيس المالى السابق الفا عمر كُنارى اعجابه بالمهرجان و تم دعوته لحضور الدورة القادمة
African union delegation meeting with Egyptian intellectuals and sayed fouad (LAFF‘s president), The delegation, led by former Malian President Alpha Oumar Konaré

(copied from the LAFF Facebook page).
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

LivinginLuxor wrote:To paraphrase the words of Mandy Rice-Davis "She would say that, wouldn't she!" Festivals like LAFF are good for Luxor, and when people realise that making it a 'cultural' centre, not a mass-tourism destination, money could well flow in. High end tourism could be the answer for Luxor - amidst all the laid-up cruise ships, the most expensive one, the Sudan is sailing regularly.
Yes, but 'cultural' centres, the British Museum, Bann in Iran, St Catherines , or even The pyramids of Giza are day long trips,.....is it even you now, who thinks Luxor is simply lusor, a day visit,.............if you get the time.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

As I've said many times, the tourist boom in Luxor was an aberration, a blip if you like, that came with the package holiday influx here. OK it lasted for about 30 years, and during that time the massive development here occurred. I've seen photos taken in the 1960s that show nothing but farmland from the site of the Iberotel going south, Luxor and Karnak being separated by fields etc. Prior to then, it may have got several thousand visitors a year, and the facilities matched that number. But when the boom came, with it came a great growth of copycat businesses, all wanting a share of tourist cash. The growth of Hurghada and Sharm, offering the sea as well as sun, with a nightlife, which although I'm not a big fan of, was far superior to the sad offerings here.

Luxor will still be a holiday destination for the many who go on Nile Cruises, with a few days in a hotel before or after. The monuments and tombs will still be visited by thousands of people - mostly on organised tours from Hurghada or the cruise ships, so some money will still come into Luxor from this model. But I feel Luxor needs to change to a more sustainable model - that of niche tourism, cultural tourism if you like, which generally brings more well-heeled visitors to the city. In that spirit, things like the Film Festivals are a step forward.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

LivinginLuxor wrote:As I've said many times, the tourist boom in Luxor was an aberration, a blip if you like, that came with the package holiday influx here.
But I feel Luxor needs to change to a more sustainable model - that of niche tourism, cultural tourism if you like, which generally brings more well-heeled visitors to the city. In that spirit, things like the Film Festivals are a step forward.
Didn't the package holiday influx also introduce many of the "ex-pats"to Luxor?Didn't it introduce many of the European "wives"to their husbands?
Or did those living there simply stick a pin in a map and say "that's the place for me!"
You are being very "elitist"here LIL.
So, Luxor is ok for the likes of you and the "well-heeled"but (in your opinion)totally unsuitable for the likes of me and others who want to enjoy a bit of sunshine.
How many in the tourism sector are now unemployed?
I've personally never heard any Egyptian say that they only want "the well-heeled,the travellers,the culture vultures."
Have only ever heard those sentiments via comments on this forum from some ex-pats.
So how did you discover Luxor and decide you wanted to live there?
Cultural tourism is all very well for "snobs."And independant "travellers"are usually the backpacking,on a budget type,doing their research as to the cheapest mode of transport,the cheapest beer,etc.
No doubt we'll have Who2 telling us all to p*** off again shortly to Margate!
Another "elitist"
Sorry..but this all just smacks of snobbery of the worst kind...and the package tourists' money is every bit as good as yours!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I live on an island off the west coast of British Columbia, Canada. Forty plus years ago the average guy could make big money via mining, lumber and fishing. Then the mine collapsed, the trees all got cut down and the fish stopped. This precipitated a rush to tourism and quite a few businesses became reliant to a greater or lesser degree on the May to September season of tourists arriving.

There are mega First Nations villages and totem to show to tourists, huge lodges were built, fishing guides started (still enough fish for a tourist to land a small salmon but not like way back in the good old days), day hikes, mountain climbing tours - all types of Eco adventures. Big docks were built for the cruise ships to stop - and have to admit it IS bad trying to get downtown here when the place is crawling with tourists ;)

Then the world economy went down and many started scratching their heads here with the OMG attitude of 'what can we do now to survive?' when the numbers of tourists dwindled.

I know this area has lots more advantages and even natural resources than Luxor but overall this area mirrors the problem of what happens when tourism is the main income source and it drops or goes away? What does one turn to next (especially when the abundant natural resources are also gone so there is no return to what came before) and what can be developed to sustain the population that has grown dependent on people?

Guess the point I'm mulling is that when one develops tourism as the primary industry the skill that is needed for tourists is people skills. Sure you have to know local history and folklore but that is usually specific to the area but how does having people skills translate into other work when there are no more people?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Well,lets ask Bombay then.
A businessman,who's restaurants have been constantly praised by a certain ex-pat on this forum.
By the way,I've enjoyed a few meals too in Taste of India (as a tourist!)
What would you rather have?
A couple of boring "cultural tourists"droning on about their visit to VOK over a chicken curry..along with an independant traveller taking 4 hours to eat a portion of bloomin pakora,the only ones in the restaurant.
Or...a restaurant full of "package tourists"enjoying a "Ruby Murray"any nite of the week?
Know which one I'd choose (if I was a businessman!)

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Well certain people use the words "Package tourists" in a derogative term when even people doing an around the world trip on Concorde, a world cruise on the Queen Mary are package tourists, likewise people doing a trip to China, India or anywhere else in the world are the same.
Many if not all readers on this forum and other forums and including myself have taken many "package holidays" does this make us a lower class traveller than others, of course not.(Well maybe a tad bit lower than those on a Concorde trip!)
It is a snobbish attitude and people tend to forget that Luxor is an international destination and people travel from all over the world to Luxor by many different means.
The package tour holiday is mainly a British invention and still very popular in the UK and that has spread out to different countries but its not quite as popular in many other parts of the world.
Luxor was and will be a world travel destination again and people from all nations visited my restaurants and I will wait for them to return.
Luxor has never been a family destination the like's of Hurghada and Sharm its a popular destination for older people or families with older children many of whom take a Nile Cruise and see the antiquities, there is always a surge of bookings especially from the UK when there has been popular programmes on TV about Egypt.

Anyone who thinks tourism in Luxor should be that of "a niche tourism, cultural tourism" is perfectly correct because it always has been for over 100 years :!:

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Bombay wrote:Anyone who thinks tourism in Luxor should be that of "a niche tourism, cultural tourism" is perfectly correct because it always has been for over 100 years :!:
No it's not!It was cheap destination for package tourists up until few years ago!
And I bet you reaped the rewards from those very same tourists.
Did you ban them from your restaurants?
Did you insist that only "niche and cultural tourists"were welcome?
Or did you accept the package tourists' money and give them a good meal?
Why sit on the fence here?
You got 3 restaurants operating(from what I read on forum)
Are they all only for "the cultured?"
If so...why didn't you tell me to leave...cos I was dressed in tourist attire,under 50...and talking with a Scottish accent!An obvious tourist...not a cultured visitor!
Surprised at your comment!

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Thomas Cook & Son

In 1872, he formed a partnership with his son, John A Mason Cook, and renamed the travel agency as Thomas Cook & Son.[2] They acquired business premises on Fleet Street, London. By this time, Cook had stopped personal tours and became an agent for foreign or domestic travel. The office also contained a shop which sold essential travel accessories including guide books, luggage, telescopes and footwear. Thomas saw his venture as both religious and social service; his son provided the commercial expertise that allowed the company to expand. In accordance with his beliefs, he and his wife also ran a small temperance hotel above the office. Their business model was refined by the introduction of the 'hotel coupon' in 1866. Detachable coupons in a counterfoil book were issued to the traveller. These were valid for either a restaurant meal or an overnight hotel stay provided they were on Cook's list.

Conflicts of interest between father and son were resolved when the son persuaded his father, Thomas Cook, to retire in 1879. He moved back to Leicestershire and lived quietly until his death. The firm's growth was consolidated by John Mason Cook and his two sons, especially by its involvement with military transport and postal services for Britain and Egypt during the 1880s, when Cook began organising tours to the Middle East.

By 1888, the company had established offices around the world, including three in Australia and one in Auckland, New Zealand, and in 1890, the company sold over 3.25 million tickets. John Mason Cook promoted, and even led, excursions to, for example, the Middle East where he was described as "the second-greatest man in Egypt". However, while arranging for the German Emperor Wilhelm II to visit Palestine in 1898, he contracted dysentery and died the following year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cook

Dendara

Post by Dendara »

Scottishtourist wrote:
Bombay wrote:Anyone who thinks tourism in Luxor should be that of "a niche tourism, cultural tourism" is perfectly correct because it always has been for over 100 years :!:
No it's not!It was cheap destination for package tourists up until few years ago!
If so...why didn't you tell me to leave...cos I was dressed in tourist attire,under 50...and talking with a Scottish accent!An obvious tourist...not a cultured visitor!
ST

Can I ask you please, why did you choose to holiday in Luxor as opposed to Hurghada or Sharm?
I only ask because of the people I know who have visited Luxor the main attraction and reason for visiting was the sites.
What attracted you to choose Luxor?

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Scottishtourist wrote:
You need to read all the post not just the highlighted bit.

I said that the term "Package tourist" when used in the way it was being used appeared derogatory and that many visitors are package holiday makers as well as other types of independent travelers all of whom came here to see the antiquities at least to start with, many taking a Nile Cruise.

So therefore all types of travelers visit my restaurants as I also state.

You seem to want to add a derogatory slant to the term "Package Tourist" to the equation which I do not agree with so I am not on any fence.
If you wish to feel that some lower form of traveler as you seem to want to class yourself as slipped through then thats up to you as I said all are welcome. :br

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Dendara wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote:
ST

Can I ask you please, why did you choose to holiday in Luxor as opposed to Hurghada or Sharm?
I only ask because of the people I know who have visited Luxor the main attraction and reason for visiting was the sites.
What attracted you to choose Luxor?
Expensive salads and crap beer like the rest of us :lol: