LAFF - Hope for the future!

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: LAFF - Hope for the future!

Post by Bombay »

Dendara wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote:
Bombay wrote:Anyone who thinks tourism in Luxor should be that of "a niche tourism, cultural tourism" is perfectly correct because it always has been for over 100 years :!:
No it's not!It was cheap destination for package tourists up until few years ago!
And I bet you reaped the rewards from those very same tourists.
Did you ban them from your restaurants?
Did you insist that only "niche and cultural tourists"were welcome?
Or did you accept the package tourists' money and give them a good meal?
Why sit on the fence here?
You got 3 restaurants operating(from what I read on forum)
Are they all only for "the cultured?"
If so...why didn't you tell me to leave...cos I was dressed in tourist attire,under 50...and talking with a Scottish accent!An obvious tourist...not a cultured visitor!
Surprised at your comment!
ST

Can I ask you please, why did you choose to holiday in Luxor as opposed to Hurghada or Sharm?
I only ask because of the people I know who have visited Luxor the main attraction and reason for visiting was the sites.
What attracted you to choose Luxor?
Expensive salads and crap beer like the rest of us :lol:

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Hi Dendara.
I don't much share this but as you ask...here goes!
I hate the sympathy vote as way of attracting attention.
I was widowed 10 years ago,at age 40.My youngest was 12.
It was a difficult time for me.My big sis recognised that I needed a break and booked a week for us in Luxor.At that point in time,I would have gone anywhere for a break...all I needed was rest and relaxation!
She had been before and assured me I would enjoy it.
That's it,I'm afraid...no more,no less.
I enjoyed it and keep coming back.

Dendara

Post by Dendara »

Scottishtourist wrote:Hi Dendara.
I don't much share this but as you ask...here goes!
I hate the sympathy vote as way of attracting attention.
I was widowed 10 years ago,at age 40.My youngest was 12.
It was a difficult time for me.My big sis recognised that I needed a break and booked a week for us in Luxor.At that point in time,I would have gone anywhere for a break...all I needed was rest and relaxation!
She had been before and assured me I would enjoy it.
That's it,I'm afraid...no more,no less.
I enjoyed it and keep coming back.

Aaah, thank you for answering. I always wondered how you'd ended up in Luxor.

It is a magical wee place :) and although when I first visited Egypt I primarily went for the history, I always remember telling everyone when I came home how amazing the people and the modern culture was.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Scottishtourist wrote:
LivinginLuxor wrote: I feel Luxor needs to change to a more sustainable model - that of niche tourism, cultural tourism if you like, which generally brings more well-heeled visitors to the city. In that spirit, things like the Film Festivals are a step forward.
So, Luxor is ok for the likes of you and the "well-heeled"but (in your opinion)totally unsuitable for the likes of me and others who want to enjoy a bit of sunshine.
How many in the tourism sector are now unemployed?
I've personally never heard any Egyptian say that they only want "the well-heeled,the travellers,the culture vultures."
Have only ever heard those sentiments via comments on this forum from some ex-pats.
Since package tourists have decided to stay away, leaving so many in the tourism sector unemployed, it could be worth it targetting a different group. If tourists wanting a bit of sunshine choose to come back to the empty hotels and spend money at the restaurants, no harm will be done. Scottishtourist has something against expats, backpackers and those interested in art and culture, who might be attracted to Luxor if they become aware of what is offered. As an arty farty, backpacking pakoras eating culture vulture with the nerve to live in Luxor most of the year, I still have not understood what makes the likes of me so undesireable in the eyes of the likes of Scottishtourist.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since Hepzi posted a LAFF I'm countering with a VIFF ;)

http://www.viff.org/

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

And what makes the like of the "package"tourist so undesirable to you Bennu?
Do we have more money?
Are we better dressed,more attractive to the locals?
I have nothing against ex-pats...just think they need to re-think their attitude towards "package tourists."
After all...is it your country?
You're just a visitor,albeit a well dressed,well adorned one.
But...it aint your country,they aint your compatriots..so you got no right to say who's welcome or not.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Scottishtourist wrote:And what makes the like of the "package"tourist so undesirable to you Bennu?
Do we have more money?
Are we better dressed,more attractive to the locals?.
Have I ever suggested that package tourists are undesireable?

I do not care how much money you have and I do not know how you dress.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Scottishtourist wrote:And what makes the like of the "package"tourist so undesirable to you Bennu?
Do we have more money?
Are we better dressed,more attractive to the locals?
I have nothing against ex-pats...just think they need to re-think their attitude towards "package tourists."
After all...is it your country?
You're just a visitor,albeit a well dressed,well adorned one.
But...it aint your country,they aint your compatriots..so you got no right to say who's welcome or not.
ST you seem to be the one perpetuating the theory that "Package Tourists" may be undesirable no one else, well maybe a couple of more.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Ahem!
Have either you Bombay or Bennu ever read LIL or Who2s posts?
Nuff said!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Although LiL and Who2 disparage "package tourists" (who actually did start call them this) I'm thinking there is nothing personalized towards anybody who is part of a tour of Luxor. Am sure this is just the colloquialism used to describe the nameless, faceless groups who flit through sometimes causing hiccups to the daily routine of the locals and nada wrong with that.

Am quite confident that both Who2 and LiL would not hesitate to verbalize lots worse about any tourist who crossed their path and caused them any angst. ;)

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

I agree ST but 3 wrongs don't make a right. As you will see from my other post "Package tourists" have been coming to Luxor since the 1800's.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Although LiL and Who2 disparage "package tourists" (who actually did start call them this) I'm thinking there is nothing personalized towards anybody who is part of a tour of Luxor. Am sure this is just the colloquialism used to describe the nameless, faceless groups who flit through sometimes causing hiccups to the daily routine of the locals and nada wrong with that.

Am quite confident that both Who2 and LiL would not hesitate to verbalize lots worse about any tourist who crossed their path and caused them any angst. ;)

Actually LLL the locals don't use the term everyone is a just a Tourist to them even us who live here are never considered anything more than Tourist's (Hawaga's) :!:

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Scottishtourist wrote:Ahem!
Have either you Bombay or Bennu ever read LIL or Who2s posts?
Nuff said!
You seem to be the one not reading the posts.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

ST I came to live here 12 years ago after visiting numerous times. It had always been a dream of mine to see the pyramids temples and tombs and when I first visited that was what most people came for. It didn't matter that there was nothing to do in the evening, no restaurants at that time except Snobs and that seated about 18, everyone was in bed by 9 because we were all getting up early in the morning to see the sights before the sun got too hot. Egypt wasn't cheap so there was no mass tourism.
Over time Egypt did become a mass tourism destination, visitors who came were more interested in the sun and the swimming pools and the prices. All these visitors were very welcome and many of them I met and have remained friends with, they still return every year. Luxor was booming.
All I think L in L and others are saying is that we believe that those days are over and if Luxor is to recover then perhaps it is time to market Luxor in a different way, to try to encourage a different type of tourists, no one would be happier than me if the days of mass tourism returned, I doubt however that it will, not for a long time anyway. What ever the reason for coming to Luxor is, everyone is I hope welcomed.
You seem to have the impression that the women who live here are just here because they have fallen for some handsome young Egyptian, I don't know who you have been speaking to when you have visited but I can assure you that in many instances that is not the case, speaking for myself you are welcome to the lot of them. I like many people who live here do so because we fell in love with Egypt.
I hope you continue to visit and that you have a wonderful time here but try not to be so prickly, not everyone is having a "go" at you.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

I come to Luxor to see the pyramids!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Zooropa wrote:I come to Luxor to see the pyramids!
Me too.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

A-Four wrote:
Zooropa wrote:I come to Luxor to see the pyramids!
Me too.
Me too, and to see what all the trouble was with Israel on the Westbank!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I knew a woman once that lived on the edge of farmland, more that enough space for every living creature to survive, both two and four legged. One day she was hanging out the washing and movement caught the corner of her eye. A rat was entering its burrow, accompanied by three young ones. The rat posed no problem to her, in fact, in all the years she had lived in the countryside, she had never seen a rat in the house. But that was of no importance to the woman. She found a long stick and began to ram it down the hole with a level of enthusiasm that she had never experienced before. She enjoyed it so much that she returned regularly to keep poking and prodding away at the rats hole, not understanding why she never got a squeak or the slightest reaction from them. What the woman failed to understand was that a rat always has a back door to escape from unwanted attention. But the woman, being stupid, didn't know this as she only ever looked at what here eyes could see, so she spent the rest of her life prodding and poking in her attempt to get a reaction that would never come. The rats sit back, enjoying the peace and tranquility of their surroundings, watching the woman's actions from a distance, no longer concerned.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I knew a woman once that lived on the edge of farmland, more than enough space for every living creature to survive, both two and four legged. One day she was hanging out the washing and movement caught the corner of her eye. A rat was entering its burrow, accompanied by three young ones. The rat posed no problem to her, in fact, in all the years she had lived in the countryside, she had never seen a rat in the house. But that was of no importance to the woman. She found a long stick and began to ram it down the hole with a level of enthusiasm that she had never experienced before. She enjoyed it so much that she returned regularly to keep poking and prodding away at the rats hole, not understanding why she never got a squeak or the slightest reaction from them. What the woman failed to understand was that a rat always has a back door to escape from unwanted attention. But the woman, being stupid, didn't know this as she only ever looked at what her eyes could see, so she spent the rest of her life prodding and poking in her attempt to get a reaction that would never come. The rats sit back, enjoying the peace and tranquility of their surroundings, watching the woman's actions from a distance, no longer concerned.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel »

I think that the biggest factor on any kind of tourism in years to come will be the vast rise in population, and the fact that we ( the planet) are in serious trouble.

This situation is set to get much worse fairly rapidly, and as food, water and other essentials become scare and expensive, and biodiversity collapses, we will see more " climate migrants" emerging, as 'fortunate' countries such as the US and UK and most of Europe will have to have be militarised and heavily defended to ward them off.
Unless we reduce the (human) population, consume far less, this will accelerate fairly rapidly.
If you doubt this, just read Stephen Emmotts new book "10 billion" and you will see how serious things are becoming.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... eview.html
The scientist James Lovelocks warnings were pretty similar, but whatever your personal opinions one thing is clear, that "tourism" of any kind will be altered significantly by the current situation, as countries collapse one by one.
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!