LAFF - Hope for the future!

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Re: LAFF - Hope for the future!

Post by Ruby Slippers »

One reason for package holidays, which no-one has mentioned so far, is the fact they can be far cheaper than independent travel. If you book the package and then go off and do your own thing, you can save yourself a fair amount of money which can then be put straight into the local economy rather than a travel agency.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:urm: :tk Thinking I wish I knew how to rename this thread! :roll:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Poor Hepzi! :( You never dreamed that such an innocent topic could turn into this, did you?

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Doesn't sound like Hepzi is LAFF-ing about it ;)

Talk about drift but it IS interesting the views expressed.

Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

Ruby Slippers wrote:One reason for package holidays, which no-one has mentioned so far, is the fact they can be far cheaper than independent travel. If you book the package and then go off and do your own thing, you can save yourself a fair amount of money which can then be put straight into the local economy rather than a travel agency.
Spot on Ruby, that's why my wife and myself first came to Luxor, We have both been fascinated by Egypt me since I was a child. Sowe decided to come to Luxor because the package holiday was £375 for a week at the Mercure Inn (etap). So we arrived, ignored the Thompson reps, and did our own exploring and trips arranged by us with the local companies such as, Karnac travel, petra and local boat captains, and have done on our subsequent visits to this crazy fantastic place. So we of the 'unwashed masses who should stick to Margate or Blackpool' were putting money straight into the local economy, maybe that's why certain ex-pats bitch and bellyache over package tourists assaulting their ivory towers where by the locals don't, and want us back. After all who's country is it anyway?
Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Darkstar wrote:
Ruby Slippers wrote:If you book the package and then go off and do your own thing, you can save yourself a fair amount of money which can then be put straight into the local economy rather than a travel agency.
...we arrived, ignored the Thompson reps, and did our own exploring and trips arranged by us with the local companies such as, Karnac travel, petra and local boat captains, and have done on our subsequent visits to this crazy fantastic place...
I have never had the option of a cheap flight to Luxor, but I have done the same thing in other countries, considering it just a ticket and a hotel room and been on my own. As a solo traveller, though, I usually find it more attractive to book everything myself. This should not stop organisors from focusing on cultural tourism as an attempt to attract new visitors, whether or not holiday makers looking for sun decide to return to Luxor.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

And it seems that Tui/Thompson have got the message!
"Tui Travel, the owner of Thomson and First Choice, reported an 18% increase in profits to £87m for the three months to the end of June – a headline figure that was dampened by an early Easter that meant, unlike 2012, Easter profits were booked in the previous quarterly results.

The travel agent, which also owns six European airlines, continues to benefit from being a pioneer of the more upmarket package holiday, offering customers exclusive access to hotels, as well as "concept" resorts targeted at particular groups: Splashworld for families and water-slide enthusiasts, Thomson Couples for those who want a child-free holiday.

Bookings for these holidays were up 14% in the UK, 11% in the Nordic countries and 9% in Germany, while the average price of a holiday was also higher in all regions."
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan