Luxor pro-military protests 26th July 2013

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Luxor pro-military protests 26th July 2013

Post by DJKeefy »

Photo's and video's of pro-military protests in Luxor (26th July 2013)

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Source: https://www.facebook.com/MohammedAlSagheerLuxor

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Luxor pro-military protests 26th July 2013

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Thank you Kieth for putting these Photo's and Video's for all to see, Now we can ask the questions,

Is Luxor Safe? Looking at these pictures I would say at the moment No!

Are the Security Forces in control of the Streets? Again looking at the pictures its hard to say really because all we see is Firemen dousing vehicles.

Would people really advise Tourists to visit Luxor because there are still many advertising Luxor as a safe and peaceful City? Definitely No! for visitors these images would be terrifying, and it goes to prove Luxor at this moment is not safe, and certainly no place at this moment for Luxor. I am sorry to say business owners you will experience many lean times ahead before good times, I know you keep saying Luxor is safe and keep on advertising it as a Tourist Welcoming City, but these pictures and video's prove otherwise. Tourist's need to know the truth, its unfair to them to keep advertising Luxor has a peace haven. If I were a first time visitor, I would see these pictures and immediately give the place a wide berth at the moment. That does not mean to say I do not think Luxor will return to peace, because it will eventually, but for the moment its not a place for the faint hearted.

Its a shame for the real peaceful people of Luxor, that we have to witness scenes like these, but in truth Luxor at this moment of time is no place for tourists to visit. I do believe that things will change, it depends on how the security interpretation on how they feel the Cairo and Alexandria Protests went yesterday. They can take it 2 ways really, they can really clamp down and snuff protests out before they start, or they can let thing lie and hope that things will calm down. Whatever I feel the Security Services will now stamp their authority and clamp down hard and with purpose, and gain full and complete control of the streets.

It would be interesting to know how the Police reacted to the problem in Luxor last night? or did they retreat under military orders and leave the real force of security to deal with the problem.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Do you actually know anything there is a picture of 2 burning cars without any description you ask lots of questions make lots of statement but give no actual answers or account of anything in luxor yesterday.

The only information I have is on your other post about "Luxor under attack"

As stated the police moved in to stop clashes on TV ST

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Maybe Keefy thought the pictures spoke for themselves!

From the West Bank, I heard the crowds in Abu Haggag Square, saw the cloud of smoke from the burning cars (would like to know why they were being burnt though), saw the helicopter being lit with lasers, the fireworks etc etc.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Exactly Stan I would like to know as I am sure does Keefy (Keefy post them from someones FB page that also contained no info) and everyone else the only problem I have heard about is on TV ST which the police stepped in and sorted quite quickly.
There was a large turnout for Sisi on the corniche and Abu Haga Square and a smaller turn out for Morsi on TV St. There was a march past my flat with about 60 people with bikes, flags & waving sticks. no problem outside the Fortune Cookie by the police HQ all day/night.
Thats the info I have at the moment if and when I find out any other information I will pass it on.

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO »

knowing someone living on tv street all hell broke loose last night and it was very frightening with tear gas and moltovo`s bg thrown.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Yes JOJO this is the area of the clashes I have been told about and I assume where the photo of the burning surface cars was taken.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

What you have to say to yourself Bombay is, how will people interpret these pictures, its not a natural sight in Europe to see burning cars, its not natural to see helicopters flying and hovering low, its not natural to see chanting crowds.

I presume you are a business owner and maybe loosing money hand over fist due to the lack of tourism, so even though you may not like what you see, you seem to want to put questions about these things, when in actual fact people will comment on what they see, and not listen to what people say, unfortunately people will believe the pictures rather than the words in this case.

Don't think I am having a go at you, I am not by any means, and I suppose being a business owner, and I presume you are, you are trying your damn best to protect your income like other business owners are, but the fact is people will take more notice of these pictures than words That you, me or any other Luxor Lover says, its just a fact of life. These pictures do not need headings or quotes they just speak for themselves.

I think L in L is very right Kieth would think the same as anyone else, the pictures speak for themselves. A shame really, but its human nature.

I hope that we do not see many more of these pictures on the internet destroying Luxor, but its the people of Luxor and the people of Egypt that will decide the outcome of Egypt and Luxor, we have to acknowledge this and let the services and the people get on with shaping the new Egypt, i am sure they eventually will and peace will prevail, until then we have to let them get on with it, its their country and its their decision on what the outcome will be, its a shame that these things are happening during the holy month of Ramadan.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Regarding Molitov Cocktails, the next thing will be denying Luxor of fuel to maybe stop that

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Television street has been a location of clashes since I started visiting in 2006... Nothing new there... :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

But you still present no facts of what happened in Luxor Friday just conjecture.
I report facts when I know them until then I shut up.
My having a business here has nothing to do with the facts that are happening good or bad and I think you need to take a look at what's going on in Europe if you don't think they see protests worse than in Luxor.
Unfortunately lots of pics but no info with them, the basic fact as I know them to be at the moment is that the majority of the marches yesterday were peaceful and celebratory in nature and not the mayhem of your conjectures like "Luxor under attack"

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

If you read my post "is Luxor under attack?" I ask the question " does anyone know what is happening" I put this realising people would know that I genuinly did not know what was happening, nothing else! The rest I gathered from what people have said in this topic.
Nothing else, and nothing less, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

You should work for the BBC

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

True, we are all entitled to our opinions, but sometimes those opinions are made public to procure other opinions that may not necessarily fit the first. I seem to detect that some would enjoy seeing a very negative report stratus, as if a ''I told you so'' statement could be voiced. As Russell says, no information means just that. Its pure conjecture. Two burning cars do not set the city alight. As for the rest of Europe, you would be hard pressed to find a country at the moment that is not suffering from these days of fire, protests and discontent. I think, considering what lower Egypt is going through, we have gotten off very lightly to date.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

I did work at Broadcasting House once Bombay.

Think I will give up on this one sided Topic, its going nowhere at all.... Bombay knows so much he still has not replied to what actually happened, it seems by his posts there were no burning cars, everywhere was peaceful, in the words of Ricky Tomlinson My A.

It almost seems impossible express your opinion, to ask what this and what that is about, to say has anyone heard of this and that. It all seems pointless. So I suggest say what you want to say among yourselves if I hear anything in the future its up to yourselves to find out what!

Just remember pictures never tell lies, only to those that think at tangents, or those with their heads in the sand.

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo »

The 'incident' of the burning vehicles in the pictures took place in my street about 100 metres from my flat. These vehicles were the smaller bus type vehicles that you see in the villages. . I did not hear or see them arrive in the street or who was driving them. The perpetrators appeared to be youths on a mission to cause mayhem and destruction. Anyone who thinks that Luxor is safe at the moment should have witnessed the whole scene. Prior to the fires, 100's were running down the street with sticks and there were shots fired. Two fire engines tried to gain access to the street but were blocked by protestors. Eventually the sheer brute force of the fire engines cleared the way and the fires were put out in minutes. After which, the vehicles were overturned and looted for whatever could be salvaged! Not a lot as they were totally burned out. They eventually left at around 3.00am and this morning, along with the burned out vehicles, their weapons of sticks, stones and bottles are littering the street. No, sorry, I do not feel that Luxor is safe. AND no sign of police security forces.It was very frightening and unfortunately, I am told that more problems are expected tonight.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:I did work at Broadcasting House once Bombay.

Think I will give up on this one sided Topic, its going nowhere at all.... Bombay knows so much he still has not replied to what actually happened, it seems by his posts there were no burning cars, everywhere was peaceful, in the words of Ricky Tomlinson My A.

It almost seems impossible express your opinion, to ask what this and what that is about, to say has anyone heard of this and that. It all seems pointless. So I suggest say what you want to say among yourselves if I hear anything in the future its up to yourselves to find out what!

Just remember pictures never tell lies, only to those that think at tangents, or those with their heads in the sand.
I think you need to read my posts on this and your other thread.
I like everyone else do not know what happened re: burning cars so I cannot, unlike you write paragraphs about something I do not yet know :!:
And if it was peaceful everywhere apart from TV ST (I also stated it was not) where have you provided evidence or fact that it was not :?:
I would suspect that the burning cars were part of the clashes on TV ST but I do not know for sure so thats my one line of conjecture.

And as for having business here my lack of patronage and the lack of tourists in Luxor generally is a small price for me and I suspect others in a similar situation would agree, to pay so the majority of Egyptians including my friends, staff and their families can regain their country and its future.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Thanks for the report Sdo where is your Street?

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo »

Off TV Street

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If I had been Sdo, I too would of been concerned, but as I live in Deadwood Karnak, I do feel safe as nothing ever happens and this is the big problem. If you live in an area that has suffered no problem's over the last two years you are going to say ''yes, I do feel safe.'' These recent and past problems in Luxor always happen within the same areas, Mosque square, TV street and the corniche. That doesn't necessarily mean that all Luxor is unsafe, as all Cairo or Alexandria are not totally unsafe. They always go for the sites that create the biggest impact. As long as you stay indoors during these periods then you should be OK and keep away from the windows or off your balcony so as not to draw attention to yourselves. If I lived alone then I would seek shelter at a friends house that is in a quieter area for a couple of days. There's nothing like company in times such as these.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.