Luxor pro-military protests 26th July 2013

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Sdo
Egypt

Re: Luxor pro-military protests 26th July 2013

Post by Sdo »

I agree with your comments Dusak and, until now, there have been no incidents anywhere near my home, so,I too, was an advocate of 'Luxor is safe'. However, when it starts to spread over a greater area and is more violent than ever then I do question my judgement. By safe... do we mean by encouraging tourism, inward investment and a 'normal' way of life? No... we are not ready yet to welcome the world back to our beautiful and historic country. Yes.. it is safe as long as you stay indoors but this is a daunting prospect if this situation repeats itself over the coming days,weeks and months. And yes... we could leave but most of us have lived here for many years and have made Luxor our home so we put our trust in Government processes and have faith that sense will prevail and Egypt will eventually have its democracy through the ballot box and by peaceful protest and not by continuing to destroy any hope of a return to normality by letting the world witness these scenes of violence and mayhem.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have been told today by someone who was present that there where problems at Moguf last night, about 20 youths jumping on top of cars- believed to be Morsi supporters- but that is just speculation. I must say however that I found the title of the post " Is Luxor under attack" rather dramatic to say the least. I would never say that in view of recent events that Luxor is the safest place on earth and I don't believe that Russell has ever claimed that. Let us all just hope and pray that things settle down and everyone takes care, keeps away from the trouble spots and that the Egyptians that we all know and love... well some of us...resolve THIER problems quickly and peacefully.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

The info I received Sat night was that the cars burnt we're MB cars from out of Luxor bring in people to cause problems. I did hear something else but I am to pi**ed to remember what it was perhaps someone from the WB can speculate and remind me :wi

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Thank you SDO for your post, in the pictures Keith posted the vehicles looked like the service vehicles we use often on the West Bank, there is a possibility they may have been stolen. I had heard there had been trouble around the TV Street area, but from the West Bank the plumes of smoke and helicopter activity at around 10.30pm seemed to come from the Governate Office area. Your honesty is admirable, in stating that you were a advocate for Luxor being safe, and were now beginning to doubt your original thoughts, it takes a strong person to state this. Well done.

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Thank you SDO for your post, in the pictures Keith posted the vehicles looked like the service vehicles we use often on the West Bank, there is a possibility they may have been stolen.
These type of service cars are widely used on the East Bank, not just on the West. Mostly in the surrounding East Bank Villages of which there are many. They are only licensed to travel up to a certain point in the town (not within the town centre itself) . I used to live in a remote East Bank village and always used these cars. The driver could be fined if he drove this type of vehicle into the town beyond a certain point.We always had to get off at the Level crossing/railway line So probably the owner of the burnt out vehicles lived in Luxor and used the vehicle to travel out to the villages and bring people in. So not necessarily stolen. Sad to think that these cars may have been his only means of an income and now nothing. :(

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Luxor the safest place on earth Carrie? Obviously never been to Norwich or in fact Lincoln then?

Apart from the happenings in Luxor to do with what is happening around the country at the moment, what about the pavements, missing slabs waiting to trip you up, what about the fact you have to carry a ladder to get up and down the kerbs, what about the red lights at the junctions, red means stop doesn't it? You can go on, so to say that Luxor is safe can have two meanings, first being that a flare up could happen at any minute due to the recent problems, the second being that you could have an accident at any minute due to lack of repairs and maintenance. :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Luxor the safest place on earth Carrie? Obviously never been to Norwich or in fact Lincoln then?

Apart from the happenings in Luxor to do with what is happening around the country at the moment, what about the pavements, missing slabs waiting to trip you up, what about the fact you have to carry a ladder to get up and down the kerbs, what about the red lights at the junctions, red means stop doesn't it? You can go on, so to say that Luxor is safe can have two meanings, first being that a flare up could happen at any minute due to the recent problems, the second being that you could have an accident at any minute due to lack of repairs and maintenance. :lol:
Chocolate Eclair, from your description I recognise the Luxor I have known for years- apart perhaps for the red lights, although the experiments on traffic control lights have also been going on ofr a number of years. I am sure that the the Luxor you describe is the Luxor that you actually chose to live in so is it really so relevant to this present situation.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

CE If you read my post I said that Luxor was NOT the safest place to live and what the state of the pavements etc has to do with the current situation I have no idea.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I think he just tripped himself up on this one carrie, old age. :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Yes Carrie you are right, mistake on my side, (I do apologise if I am in the wrong)and for your info D you may be right, I am now as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Thank you CE, I'm another that suffers from senior moments....it's not old age...senior moments

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The benefits of being old is that most folk are to polite to point out your errors, except me of course, then I do the same myself on another post. [Didn't I Choc] :oops:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Thank you Carrie, I must remember that saying and use it, defenetly sounds better than old age. :lol:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

carrie wrote: and what the state of the pavements etc has to do with the current situation I have no idea.
That's easy! one has to smash up the pavements to chuck at the 'beardies, else they might start using bits of old temple rubble..not to PC....:cool:
I hear morsi's in the nick now!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Senior moments!!!! I had a real one yesterday, had a power cut and my torch, which is a rechargeable one, was running down so after about half an hour I decided to plug it in. Took me a good five minutes of fiddling with the torch the plug etc before I realised that- fool- the electricity was off.
I have started getting power cuts again, maybe there is something in Keefys idea that when there is benzine at the pumps we have power cuts and vise versa.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Add a bit of grey and suddenly your words are wise. I think it is the grey hair that validates our 'wisdom' :P Up until your hair turns grey I think your words are doubted. At the salt and pepper stage people listen but once you're truly grey they listen and appreciate (even if it is only pretend appreciate to your face) :P

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Add a bit of grey and suddenly your words are wise. I think it is the grey hair that validates our 'wisdom' :P Up until your hair turns grey I think your words are doubted. At the salt and pepper stage people listen but once you're truly grey they listen and appreciate (even if it is only pretend appreciate to your face) :P
I think that this is one of those grey areas, as I've been grey since my thirties and still no one listens to me. :cry:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

50 shades???