Ex Pats in Luxor Welcome or Not?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Ex Pats in Luxor Welcome or Not?

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I was discussing with a friend of n=mine over a coffee last night if Ex Pats are really welcome in Luxor, and the things he and his wife brought up gave me food for thought.

He said, We only get 6 months Visa's now

If you want to purchase a motor vehicle, its a nightmare trying to get it registered and that he knew someone that had been trying to complete registration for 10 months and was still going backward and forwards to the Traffic Police.

Purchasing property and registering it in your name is a disgrace and costs 3 times has much as a local person doing the same things and three times has long. Let alone the property costing you 3 and 4 times more than a local would pay.

He said take a note on how much the man on the table pays for his Tea and Shisha, He gave the waiter 5le and got change, we had 2 tea's and one Shisha and was charged 14le

If you need to take action via the Courts he went on to say "Forget it" his brother has been going through the Courts for just over 6 years now and is nowhere near finishing

We spoke about many other things too, and I must admit some of the things he told me I had never come across, but has made me think more. One of the main things he said was "While they are getting money from you, you will be fine, once that money stops, they stop too" Interesting!!!

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Ex Pats in Luxor Welcome or Not?

Post by DJKeefy »

The only thing I can agree with you on is the 6 months Visa.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Quote:Purchasing property and registering it in your name is a disgrace and costs 3 times has much as a local person doing the same things and three times has long. Let alone the property costing you 3 and 4 times more than a local would pay.

I have to disagree with you on this point. It is all down to the individual, if a man is a fool in his own Country then, no-doubt he will be a fool in this Country.
The old adage of 'buyer beware is International and that a fool and his money are easily parted.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have read so many times the complaints on forums about 'We only get six months visa now!' but I'm still not sure I understand what the actual complaint is.

I can see that it can be inconvenient to have to go and renew your visa every six months.
I can see that it increases your expenditure (assuming 2x6 months visa's is more expensive than 1 x 12 months).

What I don't see/understand is why, apart from the ability in the past to do so, everyone expects to get a 12 month visa. I thought that in the past it was all a bit of a lottery - some getting 6 months, others getting 12, anyway! Is it written somewhere that any tourists staying in Egypt as a resident is entitled to a 12 month visa? If so, where? Are the visa process people actually breaking any Egyptian or International Law by only issuing a six months visa?

If a person lives in their own homeland, they have no option but to obey the laws and rules of the land (well most people anyway). Surely, if they choose to live elsewhere they do their research on how the laws and rules of the lands are going to affect them, being aware that changes can be made at any time that may or may not affect them.

Just because something used to happen, doesn't make it right or that it has to continue!

I'm sure many (British) ex-pats probably complained about the rules for immigrants into the UK and how easy it was for people to enter the country and stay un-monitored. That is now being tightened up. Why should it not be the same in other countries?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I think the Australians have a good name for Choc's friend - "Whinging Pom"!

I have had two cars during my time hear - one brand new, and one second hand. The 'formalities' in both cases took just a couple of days, with two journeys to the licence place, and one to the local police station and one to the secret police place. All done amicably. Annual relicencing the same - done in a few hours.

And the last comment about money is not "Interesting" - it is beyond contempt!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The only complaint I have about the visa is that when it was one year I renewed mine on the 20th of December, nice and cool to wonder around while waiting in the season of the Ho ho ho. Now I have to go the end of June, hot sticky. Don't mind paying double if it helps the countries economy, but would prefer to pay double once a year. Also, psychologically, for me at any rate, it makes you feel ''safer'' for want of a better term. ''Good, I can stay another year'' type of feeling. I also think that owning a property here, as others do, we should get a longer visa than those that rent.

As for buying property here, Egyptian or European, the average wait for documents to be completed, if there are no unforeseen problems like the guy selling doesn't own it in the first place, is three months. All court cost and registration fees are at a set price. The only cost that fluctuates is the lawyers fee, which you as the buyer are totally responsible for. Ask for the costs, if unhappy go elsewhere.

The average lawyers cost for an Egyptian to buy land is 600Le plus standard registration costs of about 120Le. I know this as my friend bought my land for me. To get building permission is 4,000 to 4,500Le. Water and electricity is approximately 4,000Le each. The direct sewage connection is about 1,000Le. But, every year the Government opens the office for the water and electricity for free for one month for Egyptian people only so a lawyer will get your utilities registered and licensed, but charge you the full cost to make extra money if this free offer falls within the time line of your purchase.

My new lawyer [my friends family lawyer] is charging me 1,00oLe to prepare and issue my new contracts including court costs, a price which I'm happy with. The courts here shut for such documentation all through August, so you will have to place another month onto the time period if buying around that time.

Are we really welcome? I think yes, as long as you show respect and behave yourself, money running out or not.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

the couple I was talking too were not from the UK so not whinging poms, what they had been charged for registering their home was double what I paid for, but that may be because prices have gone up, I could not see why it was double though. Regarding registering a vehicle then I have heard of many problems with this, I am in the process at the moment and have been since July, all the documents are done, the visit to the WB Police Station completed, the papers in at the State Security, however I have been back there to ask the delay, and have had 2 different explanations one, the problems in Egypt, are more important than the papers, telling me they may be understaffed, and the other What papers you have got needs to go back to the traffic police who send them on the the room beneath the courts and then they get sent out to the different places, so obviously some mix up there, but i will just wait for this to happen its not a big problem I have all the papers stamped and signed so its no longer up to me and I am no longer going to waste my time chasing inefficiency. Regarding double pricing for locals and ex pats this has been going on as long as I know and will never change, I told them it was up to them to get the right and correct prices.

Regarding the Courts, well I have experience with these and can comment, they are a real waste of time, cases get a date and the judges never turn up, I would never get involved in a legal battle again, because its a waste of time there is no court system here at all. It comes across has if your face fits you will get through, but if it does not forget it. I gave up on the legal system here a long time ago, and would certainly not spend another 1le on it.

But what was being talked about last night just come across has a little suprising especially some of the charges they had incurred, there should be some form of standardising on legal things

Regarding my last comment So you think its beyond contempt do you? what they said has also happened to myself but in a different manner, so its by far beyond contempt, I was reported to the Police just before last Christmas, fortunately the reporter had not realised that I had the correct documents in my Lawyers hand, then to top it up the reporter sent a txt to my wife in July asking her if I could lend him some money. Is that beyond contempt then????

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

If I remember the cost to register and get the blue paper was around 10,000le

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Chocolate Eclair wrote: He said take a note on how much the man on the table pays for his Tea and Shisha, He gave the waiter 5le and got change, we had 2 tea's and one Shisha and was charged 14le
In that case I am sure that you are welcome.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BENNU wrote:
Chocolate Eclair wrote: He said take a note on how much the man on the table pays for his Tea and Shisha, He gave the waiter 5le and got change, we had 2 tea's and one Shisha and was charged 14le
In that case I am sure that you are welcome.
I remember getting off a train at night and getting a tea, at a late night café, b###### charged me 20LE, that was more than 30 years ago. I could have bought a small mud-hut on the WB for that amount of money in those days. I was a quick learner though,..........how prices have changed.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The best pricing system that I encountered was at the old Luxor airport. Strictly no smoking. But, if you wandered over to the corner doss area for a coffee, for 40Le they would give you the drink plus a plastic cup of water to be used as an ashtray to have your cig. As departure time approached the price decreased to 15Le so you could have your last quick drag. This was 10/11 years ago. Best thing they ever did was allow smoking in the new terminal, far more civilized than hiding behind a metal wall at my then age. I found out to late that if you gave the toilet attendant 5Le you could save money and have the best seat in the house.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

In Cairo Terminal III International Departures I have sometimes had to hold my breath at the security scanner just before boarding. This is where the policemen go to sit and enjoy their cigarettes.

:sk :cg :cg :cg

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

I found out to late that if you gave the toilet attendant 5Le you could save money and have the best seat in the house.[/quote]

No you can stand, they run the tap for you, last trip was only £1.50 lol... (changed up her loose coins)
It is what it is.

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel »

Like all the Greek airports used to be! Cough ....splutter....wheeze....... :sk Before they complied with Europe and went no smoking. Much pleasanter for everyone ( except the smokers of course :lol: )
Luxor was always something else of course, not a bit like today.
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:I was discussing with a friend of n=mine over a coffee last night if Ex Pats are really welcome in Luxor, and the things he and his wife brought up gave me food for thought.

HEPZIBAH wrote:I have read so many times the complaints on forums about 'We only get six months visa now!' but I'm still not sure I understand what the actual complaint is.

...I thought that in the past it was all a bit of a lottery - some getting 6 months, others getting 12, anyway!
It is still a lottery. Sadly, three of my friends only got second, third and fourth prize today and will play again, but I won the first prize: twelve months!
:d2:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Went over the 'dark-side today to get my ticket.
Had a beer in Hamees and chatting to old Gadala Mr Shakespeare.
Haven't chatted to him for sometime, but we both agreed that is seems that we are probably not welcome here.
Shame & pretty stupid thinking really.... IMHO... :cool:
Ps: He's ageing...he even had trouble remembering Judith Chalmers' name...
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:
Chocolate Eclair wrote:I was discussing with a friend of n=mine over a coffee last night if Ex Pats are really welcome in Luxor, and the things he and his wife brought up gave me food for thought.

HEPZIBAH wrote:I have read so many times the complaints on forums about 'We only get six months visa now!' but I'm still not sure I understand what the actual complaint is.

...I thought that in the past it was all a bit of a lottery - some getting 6 months, others getting 12, anyway!
It is still a lottery. Sadly, three of my friends only got second, third and fourth prize today and will play again, but I won the first prize: twelve months!
:d2:
Two and a half years later and it's all change and no difference! You pay your money and *they* make the choice.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Who2 wrote:Went over the 'dark-side today to get my ticket.
...it seems that we are probably not welcome here.
Shame & pretty stupid thinking really.... IMHO... :cool:
You passed me on the dark side in front of the passport office. Now I can buy my ticket!

The friend who had struggled to get five months felt in general so unwelcome after more than twenty years, that he considered leaving. Apart from some episodes at the passport office :worry: , the rest of us have never felt anything but very welcome indeed.

Back on the bright side, everyone I met really welcomed foreigners, someone told me that I spend more money in his grocery store than an entire Egyptian family and that though he is very popular with locals, his main income is from expats.

Though I hate to think that it is all about money, the minute I no longer feel welcome, I am out of here.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

I know I'll be welcome back home by all my friends a lot of them are business people all loving to see me and take my money,
I've just known them a lot longer and it's more expensive there than here,
friends are friends,
they just happen to-be grocers, butchers, newsagents, restaurateurs. bakers, hairdressers, publicans even beggars, et al
...'get used to it, stop being so cheep and learn a bit about life & friendship... :cool:

Ps: Great idea bringing up old posts, love it!
Last edited by Who2 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

One for the more 'esoteric thinkers among us.

'Friend ship... ?
'Feinds in repartition.!

Ps: Vampires also don't just mean blood suckers often it's at a mental level!
phpBB [video]

'now where's that eagle of mine'
Sophocles.