London - Luxor vi Cairo

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Adam

London - Luxor vi Cairo

Post by Adam »

Hi,

I am flying to Luxor on 7th October (Egypt air) - London Heathrow vi Cairo. How far the domestic check in disks from the International arrival at Cairo Airport?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Adam

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: London - Luxor vi Cairo

Post by Bombay »

You do not need to go to the Domestic check in desk in Cairo you will be ticketed and get boarding cards in London. You just go directly to the domestic flight.

Adam

Post by Adam »

Bombay wrote:You do not need to go to the Domestic check in desk in Cairo you will be ticketed and get boarding cards in London. You just go directly to the domestic flight.

I wouldn't trust Egypt air to check in my luggage all way through- I know Egypt air can check in your bags from LHR to LXR, whether you both arrive in Luxor together might be a different thing.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Well I think that it gets through nowadays from what I have heard and read on this thread from recent travelers.

If you collect bags you must clear customs and immigration in Cairo before checking in for the domestic flight. You will not make the connection at 21.45 and from what I can see the next flight to Luxor is 04.50 followed by 08.25 Tue morning.
Unless you have separate bookings for each flight you may not have a choice on check in at Heathrow, if you insist they may well move you to the 04.50 Tue flight as you won't make the 21.45.
R

mario2

Post by mario2 »

Just done that flight and my bags arrived ok. You must get your visa at Cairo

Adam

Post by Adam »

Bombay wrote:Well I think that it gets through nowadays from what I have heard and read on this thread from recent travelers.

If you collect bags you must clear customs and immigration in Cairo before checking in for the domestic flight. You will not make the connection at 21.45 and from what I can see the next flight to Luxor is 04.50 followed by 08.25 Tue morning.
Unless you have separate bookings for each flight you may not have a choice on check in at Heathrow, if you insist they may well move you to the 04.50 Tue flight as you won't make the 21.45.
R
I will not be in Cairo till 4am on Tuesday, as I am getting the 22.30 (Egyptair) from LHR on Monday night. Then I will be getting the 08.25 from Cairo to Luxor on Tuesday morning- so I will have about 4 hours waiting time at Cairo. Hopefully everything will go well, as it will be a long journey for me( Glasgow-LHR-Cairo-Luxor)

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

You will need a motorbike Adam its a good way from International to Domestic and even further by bus from Domestic Departure Gate to your Aircraft.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Wise choice Adam I always thought that would be the better flight to catch. I would then check your bags in London as there is plenty of time for them to make it on to your flight. the only people I have heard have a problem was on the tight flights late evenings.
Good Luck and pleasant flights.

Wills

Post by Wills »

Adam wrote:
Bombay wrote:Well I think that it gets through nowadays from what I have heard and read on this thread from recent travelers.

R
I will not be in Cairo till 4am on Tuesday, as I am getting the 22.30 (Egyptair) from LHR on Monday night. Then I will be getting the 08.25 from Cairo to Luxor on Tuesday morning- so I will have about 4 hours waiting time at Cairo. Hopefully everything will go well, as it will be a long journey for me( Glasgow-LHR-Cairo-Luxor)
Adam I have done this flight a few times, you need to get your visa at any of the banks in the airport, go through to domestic departures as there is a cafe where you can get tea or coffee and relax for a couple of hours. I will be doing this flight in a couple of months time. :D

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:You will need a motorbike Adam its a good way from International to Domestic and even further by bus from Domestic Departure Gate to your Aircraft.
Not sure if this is a joke or not? It's a short walk between the 2 terminals, inside. I usually buy my visa in Cairo as there are no queues; there is a good wifi connection at the cafe in Domestic, and it's one of the cheapest airports I've ever spent time in. CE is right about he bus from the terminal to the plane - it feels like you're driving to Luxor!

Wills

Post by Wills »

Yildez wrote:
Chocolate Eclair wrote:You will need a motorbike Adam its a good way from International to Domestic and even further by bus from Domestic Departure Gate to your Aircraft.
Not sure if this is a joke or not? It's a short walk between the 2 terminals, inside. I usually buy my visa in Cairo as there are no queues; there is a good wifi connection at the cafe in Domestic, and it's one of the cheapest airports I've ever spent time in. CE is right about he bus from the terminal to the plane - it feels like you're driving to Luxor!

Egypt Air fly in and out of terminal 3, Yildez only coming domestic have I been on the bus from the plane as the International flights have a stand.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

There is free wifi outside the cafe as well and plenty of comfortable seats with or without loud TV. :hp

Adam

Post by Adam »

Wills wrote:
Adam wrote:

R
Adam I have done this flight a few times, you need to get your visa at any of the banks in the airport, go through to domestic departures as there is a cafe where you can get tea or coffee and relax for a couple of hours. I will be doing this flight in a couple of months time. :D
Thanks for your help, I will not need a visa as I am Egyptian.

Adam

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Is there a smoke-free non-smoking area?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Brian Yare wrote:Is there a smoke-free non-smoking area?
Avoid the ladies' room. :mad:

Wills

Post by Wills »

Yes Brian everywhere is smoke-free unless you choice to go into a smoking room.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Wills wrote:

You mean, like the departure lounge at Luxor airport, where about 1/2 is designated no-smoking, but this just means that more ash and butts end on the floor than in the designated smoking area which has some ashtrays.

:x

Wills

Post by Wills »

Brian Yare wrote:
Wills wrote:

You mean, like the departure lounge at Luxor airport, where about 1/2 is designated no-smoking, but this just means that more ash and butts end on the floor than in the designated smoking area which has some ashtrays.

:x
No they have proper smoking rooms.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

I find the designated smoking area in Luxor departure lounge to be wherever I put the ashtray.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Bearded Brian wrote:I find the designated smoking area in Luxor departure lounge to be wherever I put the ashtray.
You are part of the problem, not the solution. :sk :sk :sk