Luxor Egypt the facts

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kaiserbernese

Re: Luxor Egypt the facts

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Well, as a regular visitor to Luxor I was really impressed and appreciated Justen's video. :)

I think it was a very brave thing to do, putting himself all over the internet in a video, supporting the place he loves and wants to see thrive again. It takes some courage to do that, especially in an ex 'job' shirt (same career CE!)

I would dearly love to know where those little shops are, that sell the one-off items! LOL

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:50 pm

I think there are two strains of thought getting crossed here.

My kind of business in Egypt attracts all kinds of tourists. There are those who will take a particular kind of holiday because of their hobby - in Sharm el Sheik diving and Luxor, history for example which surrounds them.

Then there are those who like the insulation of a cruise, where they can observe an exotic destination in comfort without rubbing shoulders with the locals, who they are uncertain of, maybe a little nervous just because they are different from their usual experience.

Some tourists come to Luxor because it's warm, has comfortable hotels nice views over the Nile - fantastic sunsets for example and it's fairly quiet. There is no night-life to speak of so no lager louts or night club ravers.

If it's warm and "special offer" many are attracted as it's cheaper to live in Luxor for a couple of weeks than to stay in the UK and makes a break in a dreary winter.

There are other kinds of tourists of course, but by and large if there is a problem with security then tourists will quickly lose interest - especially if the FCO issue a safety warning.

Historically Luxor has attracted Travellers as opposed to Tourists and with many of these a whiff of danger and discomfort is enticing. They will not be put off by a bit of demonstrating, dirt, disorder and making do FCO warning or not - but they need to have insurance on their travels. They may be eccentric but they are mostly not stupid.

We have in the past benefitted by the Travellers who have come in difficult times, they put bread on our table and good tips for our crew. Actually Tourists are quite tight with their money, Travellers need a clean bed, some good food and spend their money quite freely in the local economy in my experience, but God Bless them all anyway.

So Travellers would come if they could get insurance, Tourists would not come because they are apprehensive of the present situation.

Finally, would I advise anyone to take a holiday in Egypt at the moment?

No.

The situation is far too volatile and can change in minutes.

Some say it's safe. So is petrol without a spark. 8)
Smile! It confuses people

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Mad Dilys wrote: The situation is far too volatile and can change in minutes.

Some say it's safe. So is petrol without a spark. 8)
Absolutely, 100% true. You can find yourself somewhere that goes from calm and normal to a war zone in 3 minutes these days. I speak from firsthand experience.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:36 pm

I just want to draw out one line from the current FO warning for Egypt: "Further demonstrations are likely and could take place in any part of the country."

Are any of you psychics that you can say that is wrong? Who cares what they talk about having happened in the past or whether it took place in Cairo or Luxor. It's what may happen in the future that counts.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:I just want to draw out one line from the current FO warning for Egypt: "Further demonstrations are likely and could take place in any part of the country."
That is as true in the UK as in Egypt, but demonstrations are more likely in the major cities and the seat of government than in less populated parts.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Can't agree Brian Yare. The UK is far more stable than Egypt. During time of political unrest ANYTHING can happen ANYWHERE ANYTIME with little provocation and no fore warning. You can't necessarily read the signs and often an exit plan isn't available either.

pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:30 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Cyprus100 wrote:It's all about stability and at the moment it is the country of Egypt which is unstable. It kicked off again only yesterday, albeit in Cairo but remember, most tourists don't realise that Cairo to Luxor is around 10 hours by train.
Correction, Luxor is no longer 10 hours from Cairo by train. All trains between Luxor and Cairo and almost the entire country (except for about 14 out of 1000 trains) have been shut down by the ministry of interior since the middle of August because the ministry says they cannot guarantee the safety of the lines, e.g. prevent bombs from being laid on the tracks. There is no timeline for their return either. ...
That's my understanding as well. I assume that among the very last trains will be trains running through places like El Minya or Mallawi, and especially the tourist night trains. We pretty much struck it from our list of plans.

I assume that nothing will really change with respect to train availability over the next 5 weeks. Any alternative views?
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:43 am

Brian Yare wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:I just want to draw out one line from the current FO warning for Egypt: "Further demonstrations are likely and could take place in any part of the country."
That is as true in the UK as in Egypt, but demonstrations are more likely in the major cities and the seat of government than in less populated parts.
Of course, peaceful protests where people walk around in circles carrying signs. Here they turn into street wars with people getting killed.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Ha! OK Kiebernese, I see :lol: I started off with a blue shirt before the white one though and that was many years ago.

Grandad

Post by Grandad » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:56 pm

JK, a bumptious LITTLE man who came on to this forum some years ago threatening to 'thump' anyone who crossed him. Got badly bitten for his naivity in his early days. Knew it all. Became (and still is) a total bore and had to re-register in some new 'sweeter' guise as 'Chocolate Eclair' and try to project a more agreeable persona.

And now he sets himself up as the saviour of tourism in Luxor......Get real little man.......and listen to people like Glyph who know what they are talking about.
Grandad :gg:

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes, CE, my husband's blue ones bit the dust many years ago but the white ones were much smarter anyway. They've also lasted longer!

I have just seen the BBC news. which has made my heart sink. There have been more deaths and injuries in Cairo riots again.

Stevepj

Post by Stevepj » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Kaiserbernese wrote:Yes, CE, my husband's blue ones bit the dust many years ago but the white ones were much smarter anyway. They've also lasted longer!

I have just seen the BBC news. which has made my heart sink. There have been more deaths and injuries in Cairo riots again.
28 deaths according to Channel 4 news and 80 injured nationwide.