One of worst countries for expats

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

One of worst countries for expats

Post by BENNU »

Egypt was listed as the worst of 34 countries for expatriates to live in, according to a recent survey by the British HSBC bank.

The low ranking of Egypt, which has seen political instability since the January uprising in 2011, can be traced back to the rise of xenophobia.

"Egypt has seen xenophobia rise considerably since the summer's military coup and wave of populist nationalism," said the study published in the Washington Post on Tuesday.

The army deposed Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in July following mass protests against his rule. Mursi, who hails from the Muslim Brotherhood, won the presidential elections by a 51 percent vote for him in 2012.

This content is from : Aswat Masriya

:| China is to be the place to live, and there should be employment opportunities for expats. :|

http://en.aswatmasriya.com/news/view.as ... aa33a736b7

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: One of worst countries for expats

Post by A-Four »

Yer but Bennu, if you live in a cocoon like Luxor or Hurgarda, where we see no evil, speak no evil or hear no evil,......then, really it don't sort of matter.

Lewroll

Post by Lewroll »

A-Four wrote:Yer but Bennu, if you live in a cocoon like Luxor or Hurgarda, where we see no evil, speak no evil or hear no evil,......then, really it don't sort of matter.
Casual observation - see an hear maybe but speak no evil - well...................................... assume you ARE being sarcastic (?)

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It must have been 'great in days gone by, being the one and only expat in Luxor, Just imagine living surrounded by all them Chinese and there's an awful lot of them, me I'm not into crowds....:cool:
Ps: never could stand music festivals...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Is that quote correct, or should it of been 'one of the countries for the worst expats'? :vs
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice »

The country which gives visas to ex-pats in exchange for spreading untrue information is ex-pats friendly?

The country with no clear and transparent legal ways to settle and often even open a bank account (they are suspicious that you might be money-laundering) to place your assets.

The country where most of the locals sonsider you only for the sale of bribes or bakshish.

In China, by the way of education and cultural traditions small kids with running noses do not dare even look up at an elderly person, and here (!) they yell at you "hello" until you answer and preferably give them coins!..

Mishaarfa am gullak e!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote:Yer but Bennu, if you live in a cocoon like Luxor or Hurgarda, where we see no evil, speak no evil or hear no evil,......then, really it don't sort of matter.
Anywhere in the world that I have met expats - they have lived in a cocoon. :wi

Of course it does not matter, but I thought that this little news was worth sharing.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

You want to meet the ex pats in Spain!!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Well, not everyone agrees: :nn

http://scoopempire.com/10-reasons-egypt ... nzVLCdZhFL

A recent HSBC study ranked Egypt as the worst country to be an expat, with its political and economic instability and rising xenophobia.

As a foreigner living in Cairo, I wholeheartedly disagree. While Egypt may not be ideal for all types of expats and while I do have intense bouts of homesickeness that leave me Googling the next flight outta here, I love living in Egypt and know many expats who say the same. Here’s why:

Read more: 10 Reasons Egypt Is a Great Place to Be an Expat | Scoop Empire http://scoopempire.com/10-reasons-egypt ... z2k3W8KR5b

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

"I have a European friend – fresh grad, no solid experience – who landed a job at a reputable NGO here simply because she was a native English speaker, had interest in the subject and knew somebody who knew somebody who used to work there. She never would have been accepted for an equivalent position back in her home country. Here, the field of competition is ridiculously smaller and, thus, opportunities are greater. Yea, it’s not fair, but it’s true."

No it's not fair. But maybe it's time we stop calling these illegals "expats," which should be reserved for people who are here working legally on something other than a tourist visa and call them what they really are "illegal aliens." Because I don't see how anyone working on a tourist visa deserves to be called anything but that.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

"Another friend – total American white girl, sore thumb – tells a tale of how she had someone visiting from home who wanted to try “the famous Egyptian hashish”. True story: This girl went to Sayeda Zeinab sometime between sunset and curfew, tip-toed her way around the blood puddles in the street (it was Eid), picked a guy at random (who also happened to be selling knives) and after a nice smoke session, scored a generous finger of mind-blowing hash for 75 LE because she said it was for her tourist friend who wanted to sample the local goods. Egyptian hospitality at its finest."

How on earth is that an example of hospitality? Isn't that just a description of a drug deal?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Glyphdoctor wrote:"Another friend – total American white girl, sore thumb – tells a tale of how she had someone visiting from home who wanted to try “the famous Egyptian hashish”. True story: This girl went to Sayeda Zeinab sometime between sunset and curfew, tip-toed her way around the blood puddles in the street (it was Eid), picked a guy at random (who also happened to be selling knives) and after a nice smoke session, scored a generous finger of mind-blowing hash for 75 LE because she said it was for her tourist friend who wanted to sample the local goods. Egyptian hospitality at its finest."

How on earth is that an example of hospitality? Isn't that just a description of a drug deal?
In Copenhagen she would have paid tourist price. :cg

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Well, as the article says, the cost of living here is lower, maybe she thought it was a good deal when she actually was paying a lot more than she should have.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Glyphdoctor wrote: maybe she thought it was a good deal when she actually was paying a lot more than she should have.
Oh, sorry, I do not know the price of hashish, but I believe you when you say that she could have bought it cheaper.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

On the West Bank of Luxor she would have been very surprised at what she got when asking for hashish :o

It is the "weed" they feed the horses on. We often chuckle when hearing the children running up, calling out to tell our neighbour her hashish is arriving. I must admit the first time I heard it I was a bit surprised & wondered what on earth she was having delivered! :lol:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

FABlux wrote:On the West Bank of Luxor she would have been very surprised at what she got when asking for hashish :o

It is the "weed" they feed the horses on. We often chuckle when hearing the children running up, calling out to tell our neighbour her hashish is arriving. I must admit the first time I heard it I was a bit surprised & wondered what on earth she was having delivered! :lol:
According to some calesh drivers 75 gineh worth of hashish is not even enough to feed two horses for a day. :roll:

But then, if you go to my neighbourhood in Copenhagen and ask for weed... :cg

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

When I had my rabbit I asked someone where I could buy hashish, I was asked how much I wanted because they would get it for me, when I held out my arms and said about that much, the man looked at me in absolute amazement, suddenly he started to laugh when he realised what I meant. Next five minutes spent correcting my pronunciation of the word.

Nwilliams

Post by Nwilliams »

does anyone know who was the first ever expat to actually move to live in luxor why does it say Egypt the worst place to be its sunny cheap and if it wasn't for the hassle would be a marvellous place to live we live on the west bank for 2 years and made many Egyptian friends but my husband got fed up of all the hassle every time we went out my sister came 3 times in the time we were there and fell in love with the place and loved mixing with the locals we came back to England in 2009 and sadly my sister passed away in 2012 at the young age of 50 so in a way I am glad we came home at least I had that time with my sister we do hope to get back next year fingers xd and hope things improve by then

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

There have been expats in Luxor for nearly 200 years.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »