Djorff Burgled Villa's

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Djorff Burgled Villa's

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:04 pm

During the night I was woken when my security alarm was tripped, and the external lights to the Villa came on. I went outside to see two teenagers escaping over the wall. No Entry to the Villa was gained. However we learned this morning they had attempted to get inside another two homes of nieghbours, one was unsuccessful and the others they managed to get away with cash and 2 mobile phones, they also went through the cupboards and draws of the people.

I looked at what the camera had captured, but only found the backs of the two boys, the minute they heard the alarm and the camera started rolling, they scarpered. This is maybe a sign of things to come so people beware. We have now moved the kelb outside so that he can search the Villa for any bones he can come across. The villagers are now aware, and has per normal there will be extra precautions around the village, to try and prevent any such recurrence.

The wall the scaled to get into the perimeter of the Villa was the only wall without security spikes, it now has broken jagged glass shards concreted on the top, so anyone trying to scale the 7' wall will get what they deserve and will definitely require treatment which will lead to who the offenders are.

I now sleep with a Ping size 3 driver at my bedside, ready for use. Have you seen what a Golf driver does to a melon? To me anyone being within my confines without permission deserves what they will get, provided the dog does not get to them first.

Both phones were etched marked so can be easily identifiable.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Djorff Burgled Villa's

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Oh! forgot to say they crossed the fields to get to the villa, their muddy foot marks were all over the ceramics, one must have had cold feet because I found a muddy flip flop, laying where he scaled back over the wall. Just need to find the second one now.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm a very sound sleeper, so I don't suppose that I would wake up if someone was rummaging around in my draws at night. :P
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:08 pm

The percentage of the population living below the poverty line in Luxor Governorate increased from 39 to 47 percent in the past year.

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Dusak, I always wake up if someone is rummaging through my drawers! It s such a rare occurance, I want to be wide awake if such a phenonomen happens!
On a more serious note, it is an obvious knock on effect to the poverty being experienced by the populace. A sad fact to face, that perhaps these youngsters would turn to crime to perhaps sell loot to feed their families. Not excusable or acceptable, but happening.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Yes! you are all perfectly correct, poverty levels are rising and opportunist thieves are springing up all around. The Village and the headman of the village are all fully aware of these incidents, and the villagers are taking steps to prevent any further occurrence. I am not too bothered myself because the extreme's of my Villa are fairly well protected, but it was right for me to inform the village in case these villains turn to taking sheep and cattle from the villagers themselves.

Last night my siren was off, and the detectors only turned the outside lights on, this was enough to wake me has the light streamed into my bedroom, tonight and for the foreseeable future the siren will be turned on so it will wail out on activation.

In the future I would have no hesitation in dealing with these people if I ever got hold of them.

But let this be a first hand warning to Europeans living in Luxor, be it EB or WB, there are people out there wanting your property.

There are other villa's in our village that the owners are away from at the moment, so the villagers are going to check on them has I speak. That is the good thing about living in a small community they do look out for everyone.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Oh! by the way chance would be a fine thing for someone for someone to go through my draws, I may even enjoy it!! :lol:

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Definitely being burgled is a pretty tough thing to go through, horrendous feelings of intrusion etc and CE I'm not trying to minimize anything about your experience but I can't help but wonder IF this crime was motivated by hunger, extreme poverty etc. Desperate times = desperate measures.

If you're basically an honest person and watching your family slowly starve to death or whatever their circumstance what would you do? I've often thought about this myself - what, if tragedy strikes would I actually be capable of doing to try and keep by own alive?

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Definitely being burgled is a pretty tough thing to go through, horrendous feelings of intrusion etc and CE I'm not trying to minimize anything about your experience but I can't help but wonder IF this crime was motivated by hunger, extreme poverty etc. Desperate times = desperate measures.

If you're basically an honest person and watching your family slowly starve to death or whatever their circumstance what would you do? I've often thought about this myself - what, if tragedy strikes would I actually be capable of doing to try and keep by own alive?

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:19 am

Thieves do not normally rob to support their families but rather to support themselves like getting some form of money to feed a a drug habit.

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:29 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:The percentage of the population living below the poverty line in Luxor Governorate increased from 39 to 47 percent in the past year.
That is a percentage of the people employed in tourism.

There are other forms of employment in Luxor besides tourism. I have never seen such shopping going on in Luxor like I did in the early part of this year. Tayeb Street and Television Street are always packed with people shopping. Kheir zamen (spelling?) and Ragab supermarkets are crowded with Egyptian people shopping everyday. I would have thought that these supermarkets would be a tad expensive for the normal Egyptian on a relatively low salary. No, not so there were baskets and trollies full to the brim at the checkouts.

And in B-Tech I had to take my place number 5 in the Q (to buy an iron) because there were so many people there purchasing new fridges, tv's and washing machines. So some people in Luxor have a lot of money.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:53 am

55% of Luxor's population works in tourism. 40% in agriculture. 5% in other industries.

Kheir Zaman is considered on the cheaper end of chain supermarkets. And it sometimes has sales. Also, since there are not such supermarkets in all parts of Luxor, some may do their shopping for a long period all at once and stock up. And people do have to eat you know, and they usually keep their food in fridges. And they do wash their clothes once in a while too.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:55 am

lotusflower wrote:Thieves do not normally rob to support their families but rather to support themselves like getting some form of money to feed a a drug habit.
Many drug addicts are employed. In fact, a lot of the Tramadol addiction in this country is due to people who work more than one job needing the energy to keep going working long hours.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:42 am

I always thought that Tramodol was banned in Egypt in favour of none addictive medication such has Preglavex, so they must be getting this from outside sources that smuggle the drug into Egypt. (Tramadol is Opium based and should only be used for short term treatment)

Most robberies, muggings etc are fueled by poverty or the need to raise money by addicts, I really do understand this, its not just Europeans that get stung, its local people as well, they have their sheep, bullocks etc stolen, the thieves then sell on to get the money for what they want. another problem is the cost of living here has risen quite a bit over the past 2 years and salaries have not, therefore people are like the Europeans, feeling the pinch has so to speak.

But if people find that burglaries, robberies and muggings are a good way of getting money and go unpunished, they may start thinking it could become a future industry.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:29 am

Until last year, Tramadol was available at pharmacies and didn't require a prescription so a lot of people got addicted. Now a doctor's prescription is required to buy it legally. There has been a huge influx of smuggled Tramadol, at higher doses than what is available legally, flooding the streets in the last few years.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:36 am

You are right GD, they are even using it has a recreation drug. good to see you are enjoying your time back around the Lieden area Banjer, but surprised you are still interested in keep looking to see what is happening in Luxor...It seems you may be finding yourself a little insecure, or cold.... Hope your work is going well, and your family is looking after you, are you back doing your former work?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 am

Chocolate Eclair wrote: Have you seen what a Golf driver does to a melon?
Chocolate Eclair wrote:good to see you are enjoying your time back around the Lieden area Banjer, but surprised you are still interested in keep looking to see what is happening in Luxor...It seems you may be finding yourself a little insecure, or cold....
:ct I'll take this coffee outside in the sun. :|

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:55% of Luxor's population works in tourism. 40% in agriculture. 5% in other industries.

Kheir Zaman is considered on the cheaper end of chain supermarkets. And it sometimes has sales. Also, since there are not such supermarkets in all parts of Luxor, some may do their shopping for a long period all at once and stock up. And people do have to eat you know, and they usually keep their food in fridges. And they do wash their clothes once in a while too.
Agree, but the prices for electrical goods are on par with European prices but Egyptian salaries are not on par with European salaries and same goes for certain food products, shampoos, washing powder etc., in the supermarket.

I have been in Egypt since 2001. At that time it would have been rare to see the expensive cars that are on the road today in Luxor, a vast amount of Toyotas, Hyundai and Mitsubishi cars.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:51 am

KZ are cheap, are they really, could have fooled me? They are cheaper with the 15% off yes!

Small Tin of Quality Street, over 200LE in the UK a big tin of Quality Street twice that size 60LE. The only things that are cheap are basically the Fruit and Veg.

Look at the price of Wash Powder, an essential....

I would still sooner shop there, than at the upside down shop further up the road.

Are Toyota's Hyundi and Mitsubishi Cars considered to be expensive then???

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:52 am

I was going to say the same thing about the cars, unless you are comparing them to BYD and Chery or old model Nasr cars.

The 15% off deal is smoke and mirrors. They raised the price on many goods in advance of the sale and others are labelled with the 15% off price in advance so you think that you are going to get them even cheaper but look at your receipt and you get the shelf marked price after the 15% discount. I looked at the price of some things, e.g. frozen chickens, and even with the 15% off they are still more expensive than independent markets. This also means when the sale is over, they have raised their prices on things and will probably keep them that way.