Good news for Karnak (no I'm not leaving)

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Good news for Karnak (no I'm not leaving)

Post by Dusak » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:43 pm

In the main street of Karnak, half way up, there is a largish new building going up. Talking to my replacement driver on Thursday he tells me its a new hotel. So I says whats the point as there are none, tourists that is. Not only that it will not have any gardens or a pool. He says that it will be a cheap hotel, but very nice inside. He also told me that the six million Le that it is going to cost is being funded by English wife number three. Now I don't care about this newest Orfi to eventually to hit the dust, but two million would be more than enough to see the project finished. Then it struck me, this could be the answer to a lot of ex-awful Orfi holders. They could all live in this new hotel when completed. Could even have speed dating on a Saturday night. :up

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Good news for Karnak (no I'm not leaving)

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Speed dating Dusak :lol:

I presume there will be only one question then!

Do you have money?

NO - :td :stp

YES - :mo :lv

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:28 pm

:tk It must be hard to come from that rich UK where money grows on trees. How do you cope with the expectations? :mo

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Bennu, if money grows on trees here................I am missing the signs for the Orchard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to work very hard for my money, and I also spend it wisely! Ebeneezer Scrooge has not got anything on me !!!!!!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 pm

There was a segment I think on BBC a few weeks ago from Sharm. They interviewed some British woman who was complaining how she had only 2 weeks a year of time off to come spend it sitting on the beach in Sharm doing nothing. In the same segment, they interviewed a cleaner at the hotel where she was staying, who complained that he made only enough money to support himself, and that he couldn't even support his wife and kids back in Upper Egypt, who were being supported by their family, and he was worried he would lose his job at any time.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:38 pm

D you are awful, but I love your cynicism. :lol: :lol:

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:03 pm

I would never just come to Egypt to park me bum on a beach. Have done it when we are on a holiday yes. But I come for lots of others reasons (Don't start giving me the old, old storyline again on marriages, you know nothing about my marriage status, why should you?)
But I try to help my family in Luxor as much as I can at the moment, not easy lately as I have been sick again. I do so because they need my help, and in the 8 years I have known them, they have been welcoming, kind, and do not want, OR expect me to give them help. They have fed me, given me presents, guided me, prayed for me, laughed with me , cried with me,in all ways to me a family. They are proud...but so am I, I am proud to be able to make their life just that little bit easier. They will not accept money, they are distraught at even the suggestion ( Not all families, or menfolk should be tarred with same brush) but a sack of cornflower, potatoes, fruit, washing powder, a gas bottle replacement slipped into the house is always welcome. Mind you, that means they will try and bring double gifts when coming to see us!
So I afraid my hard earned salary will not be funding Hotels,villas or shack-up shops in the future. One thing tho', maybe a few jobs for some of the young men, looking afer the guests of this establishment???? To some (NOT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!) It would be like having a Pick'n'mix sweet shop!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Huh? What's that about?

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:04 pm

it came into my mind after reading your post on ""Some " English woman.
Just to suggest that "some" other English wimmin Do not just enter "Your" country to sit on their backsides getting Melonomas and wrinkles!, and Do think of the other side of the down turn in Tourism, and its effects on communities.
Just popped into my brain!!!!!!!!!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:48 pm

So what if she came to sit on the beach? Is that a crime? Is it a crime if a woman gets wrinkles? I am sure she had no idea how little the staff that served her were paid and that isn't a crime for her to not know either. The crime is in how little the man was paid by his employers. What was most interesting though was the irony of how she talked about working hard and was able to afford a vacation while he was working hard and not even able to feed anyone but himself.

As for your relationship with your husband's family, I don't see any connection to that and I don't know why you feel the need to enter into a competition of mirror mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all with a woman who gave a soundbite on TV.

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Did not see this soundbite on this "some British woman". Definitely not doing a "mirror mirror" on the wall affair either.
Don't do that sort of thing, just saying that I thought, yes, I, thought that if your post, coming on the heels of D's comedic post, suggested that you thought that the woman was in the wrong for coming to Egypt, and only had remorse for the lack of annual Leave she had, and not for the fact that most workers are below the poverty line, and again coming after D's post on the spending of an "English wifes" 6.000.000le on a hotel in Karnak, that you had linked the two together and was being reproachful of the traveller to Egypt spending money whilst the populace suffered.
If that was not your intention, so be it. But I WILL REPEAT I am not in competition with anyone. I do what I do because I want, Like a lot of others on here help where I can, when I can.
And besides.........I would break the Bl**#dy mirror, coz I am Bug ugly!!!!!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:12 pm

On reading all of this I can appreciate there is a great disparity of wealth in the world and that while one person can throw away 1 million LE on a hotel and another can only afford a 2 week bum park in the sand yet another person can barely put food on the table.

Would the world really be a better place if we were all exactly equal? Begs the question how do we make everybody equal? Do you dumb down the rich or try and raise up the poor? Like it or lump it there is great inequality, much undeserved but what is the final definitive answer? Not sure anybody has one. I'd like to think that I could sweep away death, poverty, pestilence and my career was aimed at issues like these but despite all my efforts and good intentions status quo remains.

BTW I appreciated your observation Maakari. Does show that not all families are out to bilk anybody and everybody they can.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:58 am

Another building of extreme importance has just opened its door across the road from me that I was unaware off. A brand new all singing and dancing paint shop. Now that's supplying to demand. :up

I think my first post was a tad stupid and a little on the inconsiderate now I have re-read it and I apologize to all that think that I was making disparaging remarks towards the failed mixed marriages. I mean, given the average age of the awful Orfi's, speed dating would become a bottle neck, more like musical chairs. And I did not stop to think of the possible misunderstandings regarding room service charges.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:26 am

Maakari I didn't fully understand what Dusak's initial post's point was and his remarks about 6 million and 2 million were all a bit cryptic and I don't know why he thought a bunch of ex-awful (whatever that is) orfi wives would take up residence in a hotel. What triggered my thought of the news report was you saying you were working hard for your money. That's basically what the woman in the news report said too. But what I found most interesting was the contrast between her and the cleaner who worked in her hotel that also worked hard and that had nothing to do with you.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:31 am

LLL-Not saying everyone needs to be equal. But the situation of the man working at the hotel in Sharm sounded one step away from slavery. All the money he earned while working there obviously went toward his own expenses and he had nothing left to give his family at all and since he was working away from them that meant he was forced to stay away from them just to keep alive himself. Not everyone needs to earn the same amount but a living wage that allows people to have a dignified existence and take care of their families would be nice. Also might explain why some Egyptians think money grows on trees in the UK, because to someone who can't afford to feed his family but is still working, having two weeks to fly halfway around the world to be pampered for two weeks seems unbelievable.

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Thank you GD for your latest post,yes I do see what you are saying.
I too have seen this "working for sod all " practice at first hand. And the conditions that the workforce has to put up with in order to support their family. My Husband has worked hard at Uni, to get qualifactions. Now with the down turn in Tourism, he has no work.But, he will do anything and everything to earn a crust. He has turned his hand to buiding work, waitering, gardening, removals, cleaner, you name it he has done it! Earlier this year he went to Ein Sokhna (?)
as a waiter with 5 of his cousins to be Bar manager in a big resort. He had to pay for his accomodation, food and passage there. His wages were absolutely diabolical for the working hours he put in. He sent me pictures of the accomodation, 12 men to a room with 6 single mattresses on the floor, no decent sanitary facilities, cockroaches the size of small ponies....I could go on. He stuck with it for 10 weeks, he then could not stick it any more. So with bed bug bites, dirty clothes, empty pockets he made his way home. And they never did send him his wages!
But he said what can I do? , I have to work, and I will keep looking even though I know the next job will bring the same conditions.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Maakari I didn't fully understand what Dusak's initial post's point was and his remarks about 6 million and 2 million were all a bit cryptic and I don't know why he thought a bunch of ex-awful (whatever that is) orfi wives would take up residence in a hotel. What triggered my thought of the news report was you saying you were working hard for your money. That's basically what the woman in the news report said too. But what I found most interesting was the contrast between her and the cleaner who worked in her hotel that also worked hard and that had nothing to do with you.
Meaning, knowing building costs, two million would be ample to complete the project, hence whoever this lady number three is, the four million is not being spent on the hotel. I call them the awful orfi's cos I deem them to be awful.

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:48 pm

When I first met T'Other half, he too thought that money grew on trees in the UK!. He was always saying "so and sos english wife sent him 2million to buy this" and So and sos English wife sent him 200.000le for new car" I kept telling him that was the exception, Rather than the rule, in the way of life in UK. I told him that yes there are a lot of women in UK that have such money as this, from Divorce settlements, pension settlements etc, and they choose to "buy" a younger model here, and are often fleeced out of their money. But the ordinary common Garden woman here has just a living wage to get by on....like me!
One day I sat him down and I showed him reciepts, mortgage payments, council tax bills, water bills, electricity bills, Food and car maintenaince and petrol costs for the month. He was gob smacked. My wages, to him, when converted to LE looked huge, but when I showed him cost of living, and outlay of this monthly wage, he could see how my money went. He knows now the NHS does not support a lavish, indulgent lifestyle, BUT it does keep me at a comfortable level, if I keep my eye on pursestrings!
The difference is, that here we do have a minimal wage law, and I have better working conditions, and can afford to keep my self.
PS ... The one thing that really shocked him is how much entrance is to go to see Manchester United play football! and the price of cigarettes, about £8 per pack!, he says Thank goodness I do not smoke in your country!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:59 pm

This imagined bottomless well of perceived wealth will never end. Two days ago my friend told me that she had asked the electrician to come to my home while she was here as she did not want to meet him at the new house alone as I was to busy painting. As soon as he saw me his little greedy eyes lit up. He turned out to be the complete, colour blind 8) imbecile that did the electrics on my home. No hello, how are you, just in Arabic to my friend, ''Ah, I have missed the English money. :stp End result, no work for him and his ridiculous elevated price. :cry:

Secondly, same day I had to visit the new paint shop as I dropped my brush over the wall. I know every price of every paint brush from China that they sell here. I chose a two inch one, price ranges from three to four Le. Price to me? 15Le, so I went home, got the steps out, retrieved my brush and cleaned it with thinners. Cost of exercise, nothing, reward, a nice cup of tea and a biscuit that was waiting for me. Life is so good here. :up

Eurydice
Egypt

Post by Eurydice » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Last winter I was typing my letter in the Inet cafe on the famous seedy street (West Bank), a local young man was net-conferencing with his fiance # 99 from the UK: "Send me money!.. Send me money to spend!.. I don't have any money to spend!"

Was it a freeaing winter.

Not sure about the Garden, the impression was he believed each individual outside has got a Banknotes Printing Machine at home.